• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

SUPERGIRL official TV show thread
3 3

2,562 posts in this topic

White Martians To Appear On Supergirl

"In Episode 11, we have a visitor from another planet who’s a White Martian," said actor David Harewood, who plays Hank Henshaw/J'Onn J'Onzz on the series. "There are two Martian species - it feels really weird talking about this (laughs) I’ve not been able to say anything about it - there is a Green Martian species and a White Martian species and the White Martians, in our story, are responsible for the death of the whole of the Green Martians. It was a fire and they burned them and we get to see a lot of that."

In the comics, of course, Martian Manhunter's personal "Kryptonite" is fire -- although it's less a physical weakness and more a mental block becuase of the way he lost his family. J'Onn is not typically depicted as a particularly dark or moody character, but he does carry that trauma with him, and it's often explored to good narrative effect.

"It’s very emotional. It was a very emotional episode for me, just thinking about the whole idea of genocide and, you know, people being burned alive," Harewood said. "I think it was around the same time as the Paris attacks. it was very emotional. The whole idea of it was weird for me to be playing, but I think it’s going to be a very emotional, powerful episode because you get to see a little bit - the fans are going to be, I think, really delighted to see this because I don’t think, technically, it’s been able to be done before, but I think we’re, thankfully, now living in an age where you get great people like Armen [V. Kevorkian] - our Visual Effects Director - who’s just fantastic and he’s capable of just bringing some of stuff to life and I think fans are really going to get to see a version of Martian Manhunter on the screen that they’ve just never, ever seen before. There’s going to be something in it for the fans and something in it for just the general viewers because it’s some pretty emotional stuff to cover."

And I love how they played all of us with the hidden identity. Here it is a week later, and it still has me excited.

And even better, the actor didn't even know until it was time for him to find out.

:applause:

David Harewood on Martian Manhunter: "This is As Good as Playing MacBeth or Hamlet"

Do you feel free now [that you can talk about Martian Manhunter]?

I do. I feel very strange. I haven’t told anybody.

When were you told?

I was told about two weeks into the job, so I apologize for my Comic-Con answers. Didn’t know anything. They told me about two weeks into my time here [at] the star of Episode One; up until then I was still unsure. I knew something was changing, but I wasn’t absolutely sure what it was.

It was quite uncomfortable - the pilot was quite uncomfortable - because a lot of what Hank [Henshaw] said was exposition -- “This is the DEO,” “I’m this,” and “You’re here.” It was an uncomfortable experience playing Hank in the pilot, so I was really pleased, actually, because Martian Manhunter is such a huge character. It took me on a whole new, different direction and it was brilliant for me because, as much as I could, I couldn’t really find an angle to play Hank Henshaw that was interesting."

Finally got to see this week's episode.

Excellent!

:whee:

It was. The effects are amazing in this show.

I finally watched it last night. Outstanding. The fighting sequences between Kara and her aunt are really well done and, IMO, more enjoyable than watching the cartooned gimmickry that was MOS. Also, Melissa Benoist is truly an excellent actress. That scene that she has as Kara lashing out at her hallowgrammed mother? Emmy nomination, please.

More Female Superheroes Planned For Supergirl

During a recent roundtable with reporters, Supergirl executive producer Ali Adler held back details, but confirmed that there are plans to add more female characters -- and specifically a female superhero or two -- into the series.

"We’re actually doing that now in our backorder from CBS, so we’re actually working on that right now. Absolutely. There might be a little twist to that too," Adler said when asked whether Kara might interact with more women who aren't her sister or her boss.

When pressed for whether some of those people might be a little more super, she said, "These are all very good questions," laughed, and then said, "Yes!"

:whee:

Bizarro Set To Appear On 'Supergirl'

"While we are a few weeks away from Supergirl returning with its second half of season 1 in the new year: we are already getting new details about what is coming up.

Recently one of the show-runners of Supergirl (as well as for Arrow, The Flash and DC’s Legends of Tomorrow) Andrew Kreisberg appeared on Kevin Smith’s Fatman on Batman podcast and during the 2nd part of the interview, Kreisberg revealed that a very big villain is coming to the show, around the 52:50 mark.

"We've got the Toyman coming up, we got Bizarro."

We have known for a while that Winslow Schott/Toyman (father of Jeremy Jordan’s Winn Schott) is set to appear for at least one episode, but the name-drop of Bizarro is a first. While Kreisberg didn’t specify whether it will be the Bizarro Superman or BIzarro Girl, Supergirl’s own Bizarro, you can look forward to seeing at least a version of Bizarro in the second half of the season".

:o Awesome!

This series really grew on me. At first I was a bit disappointed... but the girl playing Supergirl is excellent. All the characters are starting to work together really well. Having J'onn J'onzz in the mix really helps. One of my favorite 50's characters.

This series really grew on me. At first I was a bit disappointed... but the girl playing Supergirl is excellent. All the characters are starting to work together really well. Having Jon Jonz in the mix really helps. One of my favorite 50's characters.

:o

(worship)

"While we are a few weeks away from Supergirl returning with its second half of season 1 in the new year: we are already getting new details about what is coming up.

Recently one of the show-runners of Supergirl (as well as for Arrow, The Flash and DC’s Legends of Tomorrow) Andrew Kreisberg appeared on Kevin Smith’s Fatman on Batman podcast and during the 2nd part of the interview, Kreisberg revealed that a very big villain is coming to the show, around the 52:50 mark.

We have known for a while that Winslow Schott/Toyman (father of Jeremy Jordan’s Winn Schott) is set to appear for at least one episode, but the name-drop of Bizarro is a first. While Kreisberg didn’t specify whether it will be the Bizarro Superman or BIzarro Girl, Supergirl’s own Bizarro, you can look forward to seeing at least a version of Bizarro in the second half of the season".

You are not kidding!

But will it be Bizarro, or Bizarro Girl?

How is that awesome?

All DC does is keep there big players in the minors. :facepalm:

Nothing like more TV time for movie type charcters.

DC is so insert curse word stupid.

Marvel keeps embarrassing them at every turn.

Wow! Can't say I didn't see that coming. :/

I mean how long could they go in having Cat not recognize that Kara was SUPERGIRL without it looking silly - I mean she works pretty close with Cat who is an investigative journalist. It's gonna be interesting to see how it plays out - if she exploits SG or helps her cause.

I hope it is a positive thing, I would like to see Cat help Supergirl and SG to help Cat. Develop a positive relationship. Cat's character has changed over time and she has become warmer instead of the ice cold heartless person she started as

This was a pretty satisfying episode!

Yeah, it was inevitable Cat caught on and I'm really glad it happened, especially this early on.

I think there will be elements of both warmth and ice in Cat's psyche. I'm sure she recognizes the advantage she now has knowing Supergirl's identity but also has developed genuine affection for Kara.

Ultimately I don't see Cat exploiting Supergirl. I CAN see the occasional slip up or exploitive thought crossing her mind (hard to lose the stripes) but I think Kara is safe with Cat.

Great episode (thumbs u

The Supers have got this one covered...

74352-84Fr.jpg

;)

How is that awesome?

Nobody ever said that this means we'll never see Bizarro in a movie. The Man of Steel solo movies are supposedly on 'permanent hold' right now anyway, so what's the soonest we could possibly get another Superman movie with Bizarro? 2020? I'd rather see see some Bizarro on tv now and possibly in the movies later, than keep waiting and waiting for a movie that will probably never happen.

How is that awesome?

Nobody ever said that this means we'll never see Bizarro in a movie. The Man of Steel solo movies are supposedly on 'permanent hold' right now anyway, so what's the soonest we could possibly get another Superman movie with Bizarro? 2020? I'd rather see see some Bizarro on tv now and possibly in the movies later, than keep waiting and waiting for a movie that will probably never happen.

I quite like the fact that I'll get to see Supergirl 20 times a year and not have to wait 1-2 years for just one movie.

This series will feature a host of known villains - it has to to be successful - but we'll never see the likes of Luthor, Brainiac and Darkseid; those most likely to appear in the movies.

How is that awesome?

Trust me yes it does.

Bizarro is now stuck in the minors.

It tough for me after watching how Marvel does things to get excited for "g" rated TV shows anymore.

I don't need for Superman to act like Punisher, however I just feel TV limits the creative process so much.

Dc's shows are a rinse and repeat insert only good looking people and she how they can beat a villain with campy dialogue.

I do enjoy the Flash but it took a lot for me to forgive how good looking everyone is at every turn of the camera. I didn't know when I was younger instead of hanging out with the field hockey girls I should have been looking more towards the science girls. :insane:

How is that awesome?

It is awesome because it is filled with

sgawe_zpse4k7xrcq.jpg

haha!

I did try to watch the first couple episodes of Supergirl. I couldn't finish them as I was super bored. (shrug)