• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

SUPERGIRL official TV show thread
3 3

2,562 posts in this topic

Spoilers for yesterday's episode on 1-4-16, beware.

The amount of cheese in that episode was almost unbearable...

BUT

Was that Silver Banshee we saw at the end?

Cheese? When we saw General Lane shooting Kryptonite into Astra's neck after he gave that speech about 'The Day the Earth Stood Still' (what a cool reference concerning fear of aliens), 'cheese' was the last thing that came to mind.

When Non tricked Kara, Alex and soldiers into entering a storage container, at which point he set off a bomb killing some of them, 'action-packed' was more what I was thinking. I'm glad at least they vindicated Aurora. I didn't like that they were making her out to be a semi-villain in how she tricked Astra into being imprisoned.

Now I will admit, Cat trying to force Kara to admit she is Supergirl was a little cheesy. But I can see where they were trying to bring some reality to the relationship. There is no way Cat wouldn't suspect something after having talked so closely with Supergirl, and not suspect Kara. That would be silly if it dragged on too long.

Silver Banshee was announced a few week's back. So that would be her.

:whee:

By the way...

I really loved that scene where Kara and Non were fighting in the sky, and then a large passenger jet comes flying into the picture which they need to dodge. It made it feel more real what would happen if we had real super-beings flying around, getting in the way of day-to-day life.

I like that level of detail shown on this show. It isn't assumed everything stops around these characters when they demonstrate how powerful they are.

About last night's episode, I thought it could have been spectacular, but a couple of scenes brought it down for me.

First, when Kara's sister at the end of the fight with the Ft. Roz villains tells Maxwell that this is a crime scene, and then he replies something along the lines of "you're on my property, get out," that was lazy scripting. For legal reasons I'm not going to bore you with, that was completely incorrect and silly. Second, when General Lane orders his troops to fire on Kara, J'onn J'onz, Astra, and Kara's sister -- and then one soldier has a change of heart ("Supergirl saved my life") and then the other soldiers all stand down -- I mean all the soldiers disobeying a U.S. Army General's order, really??? Again, lazy, uncreative writing. Having said that, the subplot re Cat Grant and Supergirl's secret identity was really well done (something out of a Lee/Ditko story) and the ending was great. I would like to see J'onn in his Martian form more often.

About last night's episode, I thought it could have been spectacular, but a couple of scenes brought it down for me.

First, when Kara's sister at the end of the fight with the Ft. Roz villains tells Maxwell that this is a crime scene, and then he replies something along the lines of "you're on my property, get out," that was lazy scripting. For legal reasons I'm not going to bore you with, that was completely incorrect and silly. Second, when General Lane orders his troops to fire on Kara, J'onn J'onz, Aurora, and Kara's sister -- and then one soldier has a change of heart ("Supergirl saved my life") and then the other soldiers all stand down -- I mean all the soldiers disobeying a U.S. Army General's order, really??? Again, lazy, uncreative writing. Having said that, the subplot re Cat Grant and Supergirl's secret identity was really well done (something out of a Lee/Ditko story) and the ending was great. I would like to see J'onn in his Martian form more often.

I agree on the soldier standing down, it was a little too corny...and I actually needed a tissue with the aunt/mother thing *sniff* and the "friends" thing, so I told my husband (he didn't seem to need a tissue;) that the guys would be ripping the emotional stuff apart this morning;)

However, I did enjoy the show, but I missed the Banshee, now I have to go back and look;)

First, when Kara's sister at the end of the fight with the Ft. Roz villains tells Maxwell that this is a crime scene, and then he replies something along the lines of "you're on my property, get out," that was lazy scripting. For legal reasons I'm not going to bore you with, that was completely incorrect and silly. Second, when General Lane orders his troops to fire on Kara, J'onn J'onz, Aurora, and Kara's sister -- and then one soldier has a change of heart ("Supergirl saved my life") and then the other soldiers all stand down -- I mean all the soldiers disobeying a U.S. Army General's order, really??? Again, lazy, uncreative writing. Having said that, the subplot re Cat Grant and Supergirl's secret identity was really well done (something out of a Lee/Ditko story) and the ending was great. I would like to see J'onn in his Martian form more often.

The crime scene callout was a weak part of the episode. Like a business owner has the ability to tell a government agency they are not allowed to investigate a crime scene. Especially if there have been any deaths, or in this case an attack from threats that still exist.

As far as disobeying what is perceived to be an unlawful order from a commanding officer, this has been a challenge for years: do soldiers have the right to refuse what they determine to be an unlawful order? The Uniformed Code of Military Justice leaves room for soldiers to refuse an order ONLY IF it is clear it would violate the laws of war. This way, situations like 'I was just following orders' when shooting up civilians is not an excuse to commit war crimes. So I am not as troubled by that situation.

I mean if I really wanted to find holes and not enjoy the show, did Supergirl and Non really need to jump out of the way of the on-coming plane? Not really since they are so powerful, it probably wouldn't effect them permanently.

I agree on the soldier standing down, it was a little too corny...and I actually needed a tissue with the aunt/mother thing *sniff* and the "friends" thing, so I told my husband (he didn't seem to need a tissue;) that the guys would be ripping the emotional stuff apart this morning;)

However, I did enjoy the show, but I missed the Banshee, now I have to go back and look;)

Kara finding out her mom had conducted herself in a more honorable way than originally thought was a very emotional part of the show.

But I don't cry!

:sumo:

:shy:

Sounds like we are going to have a team-up soon with Martian Manhunter.

Kara & Hank Take On a White Martian in "Supergirl" Season 1 Episode 11 Synopsis

KARA MUST HELP HANK BATTLE A MEMBER OF THE ALIEN RACE THAT WIPED OUT HIS PEOPLE, ON “SUPERGIRL,” MONDAY, JAN. 25

"Strange Visitor From Another Planet" -- Kara must help Hank face his painful past when a White Martian, a member of the alien race that wiped out his people, kidnaps Senator Miranda Crane (Tawny Cypress), an anti-alien politician. Also, Cat's estranged son, Adam (Blake Jenner), arrives in National City, on SUPERGIRL, Monday, Jan. 25 (8:00-9:00 PM, ET/PT) on the CBS Television Network.

THE PEOPLE HAVE SPOKEN!

People's Choice Awards 2016: Supergirl Named Favorite New TV Drama

Supergirl has been named Favorite New TV Drama at The 2016 People's Choice Awards.

The series, which airs Mondays at 8 p.m. on CBS, aired its midseason premiere yesterday. Star Melissa Benoist was a presenter at the PCA earlier tonight.

QdhgnkK.png

:applause: