• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Curious on what fellow members do when tracking down artwork

2 posts in this topic

Hey Everyone,

I was just curious what fellow collectors do when they face this same situation that I will outline.

I recently purchase a sketchbook from an artist I like that came out over a year ago. One piece in the sketchbook caught my attention and it would be great to add to my collection. After doing a little searching for it on the dealers site it has long been sold and the piece has not shown up on any fan sites, recent auctions or of course CAF. So if one would like to follow up on the piece to just see if that a deal could even be struck with virtually no information outside of just a sketch in a book what does one do? Consider it sold and move on until it pops up online? Post it everywhere to see if someone may know the person who has it?

I'm intrigued to see what people have done and what people think they would do.

Thanks as always,

Chris

In your case, I would start with the dealer that sold it and see if they can contact who they sold it to.

My approach to tracking down art has been

1. Contact all dealers to see if they have the piece or know who does. Note, I have never been successful with this path.

2. Advertise what I want on CAF. This has worked.

3. Advertise on the message board. This has worked.