• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

This must be the nicest 7.5 on the planet......

73 posts in this topic

I've got a CGC graded DD 7 in a 7.5 and it looks worse than this. Particlarly along the spine area. But...the corners are nicer on mine. So I am thinking (when you get the grader's notes) perhaps you were knocked down due to the corners?

Still a real nice book. I'd have felt robbed....but I'm sure all will be made clear when the grader's notes come in.

OK.. just to be fair.

I bumped up the gamma , and enhanced the photo to give us a better look at the comic.A larger file size would really help though.

ASM13light.JPG

It appears the spine does have some really deep dings/creases.Are they as deep as they appear to be?

But I think after viewing the spine , it seems the 7.5 to be in the right area.

Can you confirm the extent of the spine damage ?

And the LRC.. is that water damage?

Still..I can see this re grading out at a 8.0...perhaps even a 8.5 would not be out of line.

Ze-

I bumped up the gamma , and enhanced the photo to give us a better look at the comic.A larger file size would really help though.

Trying to take Red Hook's job. He's not gonna like this. 893naughty-thumb.gif

I am merely the grasshopper.. to his Wise old Master status..

hail.gifhail.gifhail.gif

Besides.. I have seen him work his voodoo in person.. and I became dizzy, his hands were a blurr of motion, mouse clicks, and keystrokes.

Ze-

But even a dolt like me can bump up the gamma.. tongue.gif

Yes there are creases, but I've seen 8.5's and even 9.0's with these kinds of color-breaking creases, especially in the black area of the spine on this particular issue.

The scan size is actually massive, but photobucket dosen't allow for that large of a scan.

Again, for the record, I'm not looking to anyone on here to solve this little mystery based on a scan. I can just call for the notes and be done with it. But this book has made me seriously evaluate the differences between lower-end high grades, and the stuff bringing in the crazy multiples of guide, and that's why I posted it. Yes, there is a difference and 7.5 may be the technical grade(although it is possible that it's undergraded), but I have to wonder whether or not shelling out almost double for an 8.5 which may look inferior is the smartest thing to do.

I've been hearing a lot of talk from collectors that graded books in the 6.0-8.5 range are extremely inconsistent, and I think I may start to understand where they're coming from. Or maybe it's just the nature of this grade range, which seems to be much more complicated to evaluate than the NM range.

Is that a tear in Mysterios cloud on the right edge???...

No, it looks to be some sort of indentation or impression.

COI.. I hear ya.

And I would agree with you about how slight a difference a 7.5 comic can have in eye appeal...versus an 8.5... and how much cheaper you can get the 7.5 for is amazing.

Case in point

I recently bought a spect Spidey Mag #1 CGC 9.2

paid around $90 for it. And was amazed at how in the same day.. several other copies of the same book in 9.4, went for $350 and the 9.6's went up over $560 paid.

Must be a personal thing, but when I compared my 9.2 copy to the 9.6.. I really could not see enough of a difference between the 2 comics..to warrent overpaying THAT much.. other then what grade # was on the CGC label

And was glad to have my copy for a fraction of the cost.

Currently I am forced to chase 7.5-9.2 stuff since I cannot afford to play the uber HG CGC game.

But even if I could, I am not sure how much I would keep overpaying for a 9.6 compared to a 9.2

Or for that matter , a nice looking 7.5 versus a similar looking 8.5

There are deals to be had for sure.. and yes some 7.5's can look dog eared, and very worn.. while other 7.5's can come accross as a diamond in the ruff. apparently undergraded, and bought for a song.

In the end it is not worth it to me, except for my grail comics that I want to own in HG shape.

And ultimately comes down to personal preference, and what you are buying the comics for.

I look foward to hearing back from you about the Grader Notes.

Ze-

Book has exceptional eye appeal, every indication that it should have graded in the 9.0 range.

The only thing that I can think of that would drop it to its given grade is, it probably has severe tanning in the inside covers.

See that's the thing.

Eye Appeal isn't a factor in the GRADE.

Should it be, maybe, but it isn't.

There could be lots of things wrong with this book.

1) Maybe there is tanning in the interiors.

2) Maybe there is a light staining on the interiors

3) Maybe a few pages have chips at the corners.

I'm not saying this book has any of these items (the graders' notes should tell), but none of those items would diminish the EYE APPEAL.

Don't let 'em pee on your parade Cap. You scored an undergraded book. Who hasn't seen a CGC 9.0 that probably should have been a 7.5 - sometimes it works the other way round. Graders aren't robots - I imagine they are influenced by the previous book(s) they've been grading as much as everyone else. It might be interesting to try this: take a stack of raw 9.2 books and above - evaluate their grades carefully - then look through a stack of 7.0 to 9.0 books and grade them. The next day grade a stack of 4.0 to 6.5 books, then go back through the 7.0 to 9.0 books and see how you grade them the second time. My guess is that most of us will be more generous the second time through.

See that's the thing.

I'm not saying this book has any of these items (the graders' notes should tell), but none of those items would diminish the EYE APPEAL.

i think steve has kinda hit it on the head here.

this book is quite nice looking (but not QUITE as nice after the improved scan shows the half dozen or so spine nicks).

i have a metal Men that i sent in because it looks GREAT but came back as a 4.0 because of staining on multiple interior pages. that's why front cover grading can't always even be close because there's potential for so much more to be wrong.

i would think that a collector might want to find many, many of these FC beauties that grade out as mid grades and get lovely-to-look-at books cheap.

nevertheless - quite a nice little pick-up....... thumbsup2.gif

See that's the thing.

27_laughing.gif... While eye appeal might not factor into why the book recieves a certain grade.. it DOES factor into why I might by one book over another.

I admit it.. I am a cover freak! yay.gif

Does that make sense?

Ze-

But on a serious note.. when attempting to grade a really HG Pedigree type comic.. one that just screams at you... " I look Newstand fresh!!"

Do you take into account the comics overall pristine appearence when assessing the final grade? And still grade it a 9.6 even though it might have many minor flaws that would knock a normal looking comic with the same flaws down a grade or 2?

this book is quite nice looking (but not QUITE as nice after the improved scan shows the half dozen or so spine nicks).

To gain some perspective on the spine nicks:

812035013o.jpg

811088001o.jpg

801021007o.jpg

I admit it.. I am a cover freak!

Look at it this way; If you took my copy, and an inferior looking 8.5 or 9.0, and told someone outside the hobby that the 1K difference was due to a defect you can't see, who would come off as more of a screwy.gif? The label freak? Or the eye-appeal, or "cover" freak?

Again, I'm not saying this book is not deserving of a 7.5, but I am starting to wonder if the # on the label is deserving of the price differences in cases like these.

Now that I think about it, I wish I had brightened up the scan, got some one to host it full-size, and ran a "guess the grade" thread instead. I guarantee that no one would have said anything lower than an 8.0.....not even the guys who constantly lowball the books here so that they look like strict graders. 27_laughing.gif

COI.. I hear ya.

And I would agree with you about how slight a difference a 7.5 comic can have in eye appeal...versus an 8.5... and how much cheaper you can get the 7.5 for is amazing.

Case in point

I recently bought a spect Spidey Mag #1 CGC 9.2

paid around $90 for it. And was amazed at how in the same day.. several other copies of the same book in 9.4, went for $350 and the 9.6's went up over $560 paid.

Must be a personal thing, but when I compared my 9.2 copy to the 9.6.. I really could not see enough of a difference between the 2 comics..to warrent overpaying THAT much.. other then what grade # was on the CGC label

And was glad to have my copy for a fraction of the cost.

Currently I am forced to chase 7.5-9.2 stuff since I cannot afford to play the uber HG CGC game.

But even if I could, I am not sure how much I would keep overpaying for a 9.6 compared to a 9.2

Or for that matter , a nice looking 7.5 versus a similar looking 8.5

There are deals to be had for sure.. and yes some 7.5's can look dog eared, and very worn.. while other 7.5's can come accross as a diamond in the ruff. apparently undergraded, and bought for a song.

In the end it is not worth it to me, except for my grail comics that I want to own in HG shape.

And ultimately comes down to personal preference, and what you are buying the comics for.

I look foward to hearing back from you about the Grader Notes.

Ze-

893applaud-thumb.gif