• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What are the "specials"?

29 posts in this topic

Ya knew someone was going to be a wise-@ss. smirk.gif

So this is CGC?! And here I thought they were a big company with hundreds of employees. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

7374_19907_1.jpg

Comics Guaranty, LLC graders and staff in the grading room five years after their inception.

Good God people, did you bring those monitors down from Jersey with you? Yeeeeesh. smirk.gifStep it up a little bit, you're big time now.

Good God people, did you bring those monitors down from Jersey with you? Yeeeeesh. smirk.gifStep it up a little bit, you're big time now.

I HATE flat-screen monitors. The only advantage I can see is that they take up less physical space, but they're inferior in every other way I can think of.

So much better than the clunky boxes used before.

How are they better?

The killer I just can't get past is the way you can't see them from certain angles, which is the same reason I hate projection TVs. Where I work, we often huddle around someone's monitor to look at the software they're working on. One of the guys has a flat-screen, and he'll be sitting there pointing at something on the screen when half of the people he's trying to point something out to can't even see what he's pointing at. They try to position themselves behind his chair, but because the cubicles are too small for that, they eventually just give up even trying to look.

I also don't find them to be as bright or crisp. I keep asking people why they like them and haven't gotten a great answer back yet besides "they take up less space".

Maybe the screen size is too small to be seen from other angles.

I have no idea what the problem is. I have a 17" flat panel monitor and can clearly see the screen from almost parallel to the side.

The biggest advantage is how much space it takes up, that is true. They also weigh less then the old boxes. Which makes if difference if you have to move them. I understand most people wouldn't move their monitors regularly, but if you work in IS or related service it would make a difference.

I also think the life span of the flat panel is longer than the old box. I don't have any evidence on this, but I did hear something to this effect.

I understand most people wouldn't move their monitors regularly, but if you work in IS or related service it would make a difference.

Ah, so THAT'S why they're catching on! Saves time and energy for tech support guys so they can get back to their desks more quickly to do more web surfin', Pepsi-drinkin', and snackin'!

I knew there had to be a reason for it. smirk.gif

I understand most people wouldn't move their monitors regularly, but if you work in IS or related service it would make a difference.

Ah, so THAT'S why they're catching on! Saves time and energy for tech support guys so they can get back to their desks more quickly to do more web surfin', Pepsi-drinkin', and snackin'!

I knew there had to be a reason for it. smirk.gif

Exactly! thumbsup2.gif

Ya knew someone was going to be a wise-@ss. smirk.gif

So this is CGC?! And here I thought they were a big company with hundreds of employees. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

7374_19907_1.jpg

Comics Guaranty, LLC graders and staff in the grading room five years after their inception.

I believe we have 32 employees at CGC. The pic is mostly the graders.

BTW many of the guys have newer flat-screen monitors, not me... I'm just hoping to get speakers! flowerred.gif

West

I HATE flat-screen monitors. The only advantage I can see is that they take up less physical space, but they're inferior in every other way I can think of.

I think you are talking about old LCDs, and check out some of the new 12ms 19"-24" models and you may change your mind. To me they are superior to a standard monitor in every way and viewable from most angles.