• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Best way to ship 600+ comics?

29 posts in this topic

After much contemplation, and recognizing that getting my big keys back would be virtually impossible for me to get again, I may have to let many books in my comic collection go, and need to safely ship them to Cali. So, I'm thinking about sending 100 of the pricier ones in one box, and the others at least 500 in another.

Basically, how do you stack them (25-50 per cardboard sandwiching) or are there other ways. I've shipped many books before, and always bite my nails till they get there. Any opinions or comments would be appreciated.

-Dan

Also, opinions on keeping big Dawg keys vs. selling much of beloved Spidey collection. (I know it would take a while, but the Spideys I could get back)

You can try shipping them in two long boxes via media mail. odds are they go thru

un-inspected and in tact. If you choose this method, put a lid on the bottom and use heavy tape across the middle. Plastic straps can be very useful. It costs about $75 to ship two long boxes coast to coast. Bags and boards can add up to significant weight.

I shipped some boxes via Greyhound, taking advantage of a 25% off coupon I found on-line.

You deliver them to the local bus depot( there is one in Hempstead) and they ride under the buses.Its station to station so the person has to pick them up at the other end. Its a bit cheaper than media mail. You can insure the packages but I'd only send drek this method.

When I sold off my Batman collection I shipped them out at around 100 issues per box. I went to my LCS and they gave me two different sized 'Diamond' boxes. I would place two of the smaller Diamond boxes inside a larger one like when the LCS gets shipments of new books.

However, instead of putting 100 issues in each shortbox, I put in around 45 in each, bagged and boarded, alternating the spines, and then added with mailing filler to keep them secure. Seal up the short boxes then the long boxes and then you are good to go.

It was pricier but it was secure.

When I ship in larger quantities, I tend to "brick" them. I use flip 'n' stick bags from HotFlips to go over my slabs, so inevitably, I'm left with a surplus of standard CGC plastic bags. I save them for "bricking" purposes. The method works well for either naked books or bagged/boarded books.

Stack the books so they alternate which side the spine is on. Lay a comic book like you're going to read it (spine to the left), then put the next on top of it with the back cover facing up (spine to the right). Repeat until you get a stack that fits comfortably into a CGC bag. You want very little movement, but you don't want to cram it in there lest you bend the corners of the books at the tops and bottoms of the stack. Tape the bag shut so the books have very little room to move. I usually leave a flap for the recipient to pull so the tape comes off easily.

Sandwich the brick between two pieces of cardboard. Again, employ flaps so a knife never has to come into play when opening the comics. You now have your brick. Put the brick(s) in a box and surround them in bubble wrap or packing peanuts (or both). This is how I ship my books to CGC and I tend to have good luck with this method. That said, I'd use this method for the most expensive books. Doing it for 600 books may not be practical.

Has anyone ever shipped long boxes on a pallet before?

-slym

Yes you can stack them on a pallet, shrink wrap them and use a truck freight service. The costs are bid out depending on trucking company and if they have to come to your house or you take them to there warehouse. This would be for thousands of comics.

You can try shipping them in two long boxes via media mail. odds are they go thru

un-inspected and in tact. If you choose this method, put a lid on the bottom and use heavy tape across the middle. Plastic straps can be very useful. It costs about $75 to ship two long boxes coast to coast. Bags and boards can add up to significant weight.

I shipped some boxes via Greyhound, taking advantage of a 25% off coupon I found on-line.

You deliver them to the local bus depot( there is one in Hempstead) and they ride under the buses.Its station to station so the person has to pick them up at the other end. Its a bit cheaper than media mail. You can insure the packages but I'd only send drek this method.

If shipping full long boxes, do not tape over the handles on the ends of the boxes. Do shove empty backer boards on the ends so one can not see any part of a comic book. Give the staff something to lift the box with, less chance of being dropped.

Oh, I know I can... I am wondering if anyone here has.

I'd be nervous as hell doing that, as I have seen the way some guys drive a forklift.

-slym

There is less chance of damage shipping by pallet. When shipping long boxes individually they can and do get dropped all along the way, chances of corner damage is higher when shipping via long box.

Yeah, but think of the resulting damage from a forklift... a few bent corners v/s large metal forks being driven into your comics.

As someone who works in a warehouse, and drives a forklift, I cringe to think about this.

You can inexpensively build sides on the pallet to prevent damage.

But as stated, some people shouldn't drive ANYTHING. Period. And these guys get work as fork truck operators :facepalm:

Yeah, but think of the resulting damage from a forklift... a few bent corners v/s large metal forks being driven into your comics.

As someone who works in a warehouse, and drives a forklift, I cringe to think about this.

(thumbs u

-slym

But as stated, some people shouldn't drive ANYTHING. Period. And these guys get work as fork truck operators :facepalm:

I have seen forklifts pierce 55-gallon steel drums before like they were toilet paper.

:baiting:

-slym

I have seen forklifts pierce 55-gallon steel drums before like they were toilet paper.

:baiting:

-slym

What's yer point :baiting: