• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Trade-Waiters: How do you shop?

13 posts in this topic

I've been catching up on some stories I've missed by picking up trades and HC collections recently and found that I really do enjoy the format. There are a few books I will still get as monthly floppies, but I'd like to move the rest of my reading to collected editions.

How do you trade-waiters shop for books and keep up with new releases while at the same time avoiding spoilers? I've browsed in-stock trades but honestly that site is overwhelming if you don't know exactly what you're looking for. Most other sites I've found tend to spoil aspects of the book as they tell you about them. Any tips?

I've been catching up on some stories I've missed by picking up trades and HC collections recently and found that I really do enjoy the format. There are a few books I will still get as monthly floppies, but I'd like to move the rest of my reading to collected editions.

How do you trade-waiters shop for books and keep up with new releases while at the same time avoiding spoilers? I've browsed in-stock trades but honestly that site is overwhelming if you don't know exactly what you're looking for. Most other sites I've found tend to spoil aspects of the book as they tell you about them. Any tips?

For about the past 5 years I've been slowly buying less moderns as they come out. I just wait for sales in the area for half off cover or all back issues are a $1.00 or .50 cents. I think everything reads better in trade or reading 4 or more issues in a couple of days.

To avoid spoilers check out the recommendation threads. If I see 2 or 3 people reading a bunch of books I like then I check out some of the other titles those 2 or 3 people are reading. Read some of the book in the store or library to see if you like it. I can usually tell if I like book after 6 to 10 pages.

I prefer trades than floppies unless they're key issues. I personally believe that the floppie system is incredibly antiquated. I like to read a whole story, not a chapter a month which is why I can wait.

Some people struggle with the wait but the story playing out now isn't the only story out there that I can read so I usually get other trades to occupy my time. I also buy trades I love. I'll try a trade and if I don't like it I will resell it.

I usually buy trades at comic shops (to support the small business), amazon, or my Strand Bookstore that sells some trades 50% (HC - 30% off). Conventions are great because you can get floppies and trades at great prices. I've also had good experiences buying trades on these boards too.

I just ordered Manifest Destiny V.1, Prophet V.2 and the first Runaways compendium. :acclaim:

I loved Prophet vol1

Prophet vol2--did i just read a prophet story? WTF is going on, it's prophet right?

Prophet vol 3- sitting on bookshelf as I'm afraid to open it.

I just ordered Manifest Destiny V.1, Prophet V.2 and the first Runaways compendium. :acclaim:

I loved Prophet vol1

Prophet vol2--did i just read a prophet story? WTF is going on, it's prophet right?

Prophet vol 3- sitting on bookshelf as I'm afraid to open it.

I really loved Vol.1 Looking forward to Vol.2 but now a little tentative . . .

I can live with the waiting, as I don't have a ton of time to read as it is. I guess it seems hard to keep up with new series without having things spoiled.

Also lose the ability to discuss current stories. Then again being a month behind with dcbs does that as well.

The only spoilers I've run into is what the latest auction price was on eBay or what the new variant cover print run will be.

I had been buying in bulk on Cyber Monday, whatever I could get at 70% off, but a couple years of that combined with me completely abandoning floppies has left me missing some of my favorites, so now I preorder, at a discount if I can, whatever I can afford. Read it and repeat. I imagine as the unread stuff in my collection dwindles down and I catch up with my orders I'm going to be short on reading material, and I no longer keep up with everything I'd like to. But I am saving a ton of money.