• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Very small amount/small amount, etc

25 posts in this topic

I generally pass on the blue label restored books unless the price is very right, or its a gotta have it book. I do consider them as restored.

I did buy one a few years back that was through a dealer where it was submitted as part of the our base agreement.

It was sold as a certain grade and it came back blue label at a 0.5 higher with a slight glue note and a blue label. Of course it was a GA book. I still bought it per the deal, but the slight will always feel like a slight.

I'll always wonder what would have happened if I'd submitted it?

.....PLOD.....

So you don't believe CGC when they say the graders don't know who has submitted the book being graded? hm

No idea

I just don't know a single non dealer that has received a blue lable with notes that could have been considered plod. I would be interested in hearing people's submission stories of these types of books.

I haven't submitted enough to get one either. I have just gotten plods.

My take is that it's the book rather than the submitter. A high grade GA book that has a small spine split sealed with glue or a spine tick filled in with a point of ct will get a blue label with a notation even if you or I submit it.

I would still consider this "slight restoration". The book not being in a purple holder seems to be the "favor" some are intimation to that dealers get.

But this does not only happen with high grade GA books. I see mid and lower grade GA books with blue labels and restoration notes as well. Books with glue, colour touch, extra staples, etc. Restoration is restoration is restoration.

-J.

True Story. One time I was getting my books ready for CGC and I dropped my red marker on the cover of one of the books. It left a 'dot' on the DC logo. Frantic, I called CGC and naturally they said they would have to see it but they do consider the location of the mark pertaining to intent to cover something up. I did get a Universal with no mention of anything on the label.

I have a Sgt Fury 1 with a CT dot on the spine that bled through. I had Stan sign so it's now it's in a Yellow Label with Purple trim. I always considered this ironic that with all of Stan's slop on the cover, it gets ringed up for one small dot. The label says 'small'. From memory it was a tad bigger than 1/16th in diameter, so maybe 3/32.

http://www.myslabbedcomics.com/GalleryPiece.asp?Piece=12766&GSub=887

I generally pass on the blue label restored books unless the price is very right, or its a gotta have it book. I do consider them as restored.

I did buy one a few years back that was through a dealer where it was submitted as part of the our base agreement.

It was sold as a certain grade and it came back blue label at a 0.5 higher with a slight glue note and a blue label. Of course it was a GA book. I still bought it per the deal, but the slight will always feel like a slight.

I'll always wonder what would have happened if I'd submitted it?

.....PLOD.....

So you don't believe CGC when they say the graders don't know who has submitted the book being graded? hm

No idea

I just don't know a single non dealer that has received a blue lable with notes that could have been considered plod. I would be interested in hearing people's submission stories of these types of books.

I haven't submitted enough to get one either. I have just gotten plods.

My take is that it's the book rather than the submitter. A high grade GA book that has a small spine split sealed with glue or a spine tick filled in with a point of ct will get a blue label with a notation even if you or I submit it.

If they were consciously giving breaks to particular dealers they would be running a huge risk to their reputation. Given that graders have come and gone over the years, I think word of the practice would have leaked out by now if they were doing it.

And, yes, I do believe in Santa Claus! :D

I believe a small spine split "sealed" would be restoration. I believe a small spine split sealed and then not sealed with glue residue behind and the appropriate grade would be a blue with note from CGC.

Just my guess. I have no real way of knowing since their methods are not public knowledge.

I have a beautiful GA 9.0 in a purple label noted small amount of glue on spine of cover (P) and I also have a beautiful GA 9.2 in a blue label noted very minor amount of glue on cover. Far be it from me to even be able to see it or discern a difference.