• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1973 Comic-Con Pics

43 posts in this topic

Where's the cosplayers?

:signfunny:

Cosplay took off in 1977 with the Wizard and Red Sonja show. While there were always a few people showing up in costumes and even "contests" - Artist Frank Thorne with then fan (later Elf Quest Artist)Windy Pini and New Jersey actress Linda Berhle put the popular into cosplay. They put on an actual show and every comiccon wanted them. As time went on, their performances - became more involved and they even added additional characters like Mikal the Wanderer.

Not to leave anyone out, a number of talented individuals donned the (bikini) chain mail and sword of Sonja. The very first was most likely Angelique Toruvere - a night club dancer that was the model for most of the "photograph" Vampirella covers from the Warren years. Others I could find mention of include Dianne Dekalb who often wore a more traditional (as described by Robert E. Howard) Sonja attire and Wendy Snow, a Fantasy artist from Boston that was banned from wearing her costume at the 1977 Boston Globe book show because it showed a bit too much skin.

Here's a poster I got (I think) in 1977

WizardandRedSonja_zps167835ee.jpg

Wow I wonder what 10k spent on keys in 1973 would look like ROI in todays market

You could probably buy the whole show (everything in the room) for 10k...

The OA on in these pics alone would net you serious money.

Hell the "Sea Witch by Frank Frazetta" if that was the original I'd say

you could retire alone on what that could fetch.

I think that was used on a Creepy? I know it was used on Wolfmothers debut album cover.