• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

So is pressing comics a common practice nowadays?

67 posts in this topic

I think the answer that people need to know the most is that pressing isn't magic. I've wasted a lot of time and energy trying to get this little flaw, that little flaw, ugh...I can get this one out, I know it!...when it was a flaw that just wasn't ever going to come (completely) out, no matter what I did, without risking other damage.

It's a long, slow, patient, gentle, gentle, gentle process...low heat, low moisture, low pressure. Those wanting to get "fast" results by using high heat, high pressure, and/or high humidity will pay the price.

Yes, it's true, flaws can, and do, return, even inside the slab. Not nearly as severely, but it does happen.

What's the answer? I really don't know, other than pressers being very diligent with their craft, and perhaps not releasing books for a short time period (2-5 days) to make sure the press "sets."

This may explain another phenomena, the 'apparent' generous grades given to onsite grading. Today, onsite grading means onsite pressing. The books are probably still warm when CGC grades them. :(

I am assuming this is a joke Bob.

Yes, it's true, flaws can, and do, return, even inside the slab. Not nearly as severely, but it does happen.

What's the answer? I really don't know, other than pressers being very diligent with their craft, and perhaps not releasing books for a short time period (2-5 days) to make sure the press "sets."

This may explain another phenomena, the 'apparent' generous grades given to onsite grading. Today, onsite grading means onsite pressing. The books are probably still warm when CGC grades them. :(

(shrug) Joey, if you are referencing the last sentence about the books still being warm, yes, that was a joke. If you are referencing the generous grade scenario, no, this seems like a real possibility. Do I care if a generous grade is given, not really. Do I care that some of my books may revert back in the slab, very much so. This is not specifically an onsite issue. I was just throwing that observation out there because I'm now realizing what is happening. This reverting back scenario happened to me recently on a key book, a book I thought was a keeper. The book was an 8.0 and 'suddenly' it developed spine ticks and looked like a 7.0 . I felt like I was kicked in the stomach. It literally sickened me. I guess this is just something else that us anal comic collectors need to deal with. I know for a fact, that my book was pressed in a home grown fashion. It was not pressed by a professional. RMA's comments about there is more to pressing than just owning the press seems to be accurate.

(shrug) Joey, if you are referencing the last sentence about the books still being warm, yes, that was a joke. If you are referencing the generous grade scenario, no, this seems like a real possibility. Do I care if a generous grade is given, not really. Do I care that some of my books may revert back in the slab, very much so. This is not specifically an onsite issue. I was just throwing that observation out there because I'm now realizing what is happening. This reverting back scenario happened to me recently on a key book, a book I thought was a keeper. The book was an 8.0 and 'suddenly' it developed spine ticks and looked like a 7.0 . I felt like I was kicked in the stomach. It literally sickened me. I guess this is just something else that us anal comic collectors need to deal with. I know for a fact, that my book was pressed in a home grown fashion. It was not pressed by a professional. RMA's comments about there is more to pressing than just owning the press seems to be accurate.

The "generous grades given to onsite grading" is a myth, Bob - it may have been the case 6-7 years ago, but these days I've noticed no difference between regular and onsite grading.

Onsite is all about convenience and instant gratification now - if you think they're soft on onsite graded books, you won't be happy when you get your books back :gossip:

The "generous grades given to onsite grading" is a myth, Bob - it may have been the case 6-7 years ago, but these days I've noticed no difference between regular and onsite grading.

Onsite is all about convenience and instant gratification now - if you think they're soft on onsite graded books, you won't be happy when you get your books back :gossip:

Hey Michael ! I agree with you. However, I do think there was a brief period where it seemed true, after Haspel left, but I think they simply softened up in general at the time. From what I have seen and heard they are grading a tighter now, a good thing. I have always thought tighter grading is good for the hobby long term.

As a comment to my onsite reference, it was really in defense of CGC, that they grade what is in front of them at the time. Like us with a fresh shave, the book will look it's best immediately after pressing. If the book reverts, it will appear CGC overgraded. RMA's points makes sense to me and would explain a lot of the things I have seen in my slab collecting life.

Just the "books still being warm" part.

For those experienced collectors with a very discerning eye, does a pressed book appear just a bit flatter and does the spine have a more squished appearance (lacking a plumper look on the spine)? Are corners slightly pressed away from interior pages? Just wondering if you can tell when a good press job has been done by examining very small details hm

A pressed comics' spine will be flatter than one bought "off the rack," but a lot of my OO X-Men have the same look after being in a not-too-tightly-but-well-packed box for 20+ years. I guess you can claim they were pressed too, but not on purpose.

;)

-slym

Ya, makes sense. Just thought that there might be a very subtle, unnatural, flatter appearance from a press job than from comics being naturally stacked on top of one another for many years. Isn't there a difference in pressure exerted by both forces (pressing machine vs weight of comics) that would result in a slightly different pressed appearance?

Ya, makes sense. Just thought that there might be a very subtle, unnatural, flatter appearance from a press job than from comics being naturally stacked on top of one another for many years. Isn't there a difference in pressure exerted by both forces (pressing machine vs weight of comics) that would result in a slightly different pressed appearance?

The short answer is yes, but it depends on how the book is pressed and how the books that were "pressed" naturally were stacked. I have seen a lot of warehouse books where the long boxes were stacked so tight I had to break the box to get the comics out. In those cases the books were pretty much smashed together, but there were lots of books with stacking curls and other pressure related defects along with books that laid nice and flat. regarding books that were pressed naturally one Pedigree that comes to mind is the Pacific Coast books. They were nice and flat due to the way the OA stored them in very high stacks with alternating spines.

With that said, a properly pressed book should not have a crushed spine. It should not have edges or corners that are curled over. It should not be wavy or have flay away covers that curl. It should have the same feel that a properly stored book (non pressed book) would have.

There could be some damage from the slab (see bottom edge of back cover), but it appears to be a mis-cut book with some overhang. The top staple appears to be secure looking at it from the back cover view. These thicker books (52 pages) will tend to fan out a little over time if not stored properly. I see this a lot, especially with issues like ASW #10.