• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

OAAW 83's potential to be a top 5 SA key?

529 posts in this topic

I don't have the time or energy to do one-upmanship with the likes of you, RMA. Just too much stuff to do, but there's nothing that you can say that'd convince me otherwise.

Um. Ok...? So, any response from me is unwelcome? Anything I could contribute to the discussion is unwanted?

:shrug:

I guess I don't really understand the point of a message board, then. No worries.

I don't have the time or energy to do one-upmanship with the likes of you, RMA. Just too much stuff to do, but there's nothing that you can say that'd convince me otherwise.

Um. Ok...? So, any response from me is unwelcome? Anything I could contribute to the discussion is unwanted?

I guess I don't really understand the point of a message board, then. No worries.

Interesting. I've been mostly silent on this thread but I just have to wonder why Overstreet needs a special 'War Report' section dedicated for the rise and fall of popularity and prices of War books, especially in light of the fact that all Gold, Silver, Bronze, Copper and Moderns are constrained within the confines of the Overstreet Advisors Market Reports. :popcorn:

Interesting. I've been mostly silent on this thread but I just have to wonder why Overstreet needs a special 'War Report' section dedicated for the rise and fall of popularity and prices of War books, especially in light of the fact that all Gold, Silver, Bronze, Copper and Moderns are constrained within the confines of the Overstreet Advisors Market Reports. :popcorn:

While I enjoy the War Report, your question is a good one. Perhaps it has to do with the War Comics genre being overlooked for some time? I would love to see similarly focused reports for other genres like romance, horror, sci-fi, crime, and westerns.

I just have to wonder why Overstreet needs a special 'War Report' section dedicated for the rise and fall of popularity and prices of War books, especially in light of the fact that all Gold, Silver, Bronze, Copper and Moderns are constrained within the confines of the Overstreet Advisors Market Reports. :popcorn:

Because Bob has a lot of war books? :whistle:

I don't want to speak for Mick, but maybe he just didn't want to get into a back and forth with you, in the case of having differing opinions.

I wouldn't take it personally. 2c

I would hazard a guess that any collector willing to invest the many, many, many hours and energy and enthusiasm into a similar report on any other genre, if it is as significantly well done as the War Report, would be welcomed by the Guide with open arms.

I don't want to speak for Mick, but maybe he just didn't want to get into a back and forth with you, in the case of having differing opinions.

I understood that, Andy. The heart of any discussion is back and forth. Discussions wherein everyone agrees aren't discussions, and no one learns anything from that.

But, again, no worries.

As a rule aren't most pedigrees higher in grade?

The Salidas are reknowned for their exceptional preservation, but typically do not grade all that high because many weren`t structurally preserved that well.

A white paged, structurally sound, fresh new book that happens to have a crease or two is so much more preferable to a structurally "perfect" book that would fall apart by a strong look in its general direction.

I understood that, Andy. The heart of any discussion is back and forth. Discussions wherein everyone agrees aren't discussions, and no one learns anything from that.

But, again, no worries.

No, RMA, Andy had it right. I'm cool with discussions and disagreements. I was trying to say, maybe sloppily, that I'm no match for your endurance when it comes to arguing something. . .you don't seem to shy away from that reputation either--and you shouldn't because you're damned good at presenting a well-argued point. Maybe you DO have something to blow holes in my counter-argument and I'm all ears, dude.

:foryou:

Just don't expect me to come back with a 4 page treatise. . .maybe during the summer, but not during the school year.

I would hazard a guess that any collector willing to invest the many, many, many hours and energy and enthusiasm into a similar report on any other genre, if it is as significantly well done as the War Report, would be welcomed by the Guide with open arms.

As a contributor to the War Report, I'm coming from a biased angle here, but OPG truly does welcome us, and they've expressed a sincere interest in giving special sections to other genre collectors--romance, western, sci-fi, etc.

Frankly, I had misgivings about adding any more fuel to the fire than I already have over the years, but Matt was going to go forward with it and I felt that maybe I could generate some historical/fanboy balance to some of the discussion about hottest, most valuable, top-20, etc. I think all that stuff is fun, but as a fan, I like to share [and read other folks' contributions about] the lesser-known tidbits and easter eggs that people don't usually think of.

The one I'm most proud of was the one from two guides ago that explored the origins of the extended 12-page story in war comics. I researched quite a bit around that topic and I discovered it more because I was doing a page count on early Sgt. Rock prototypes and comparing them against later ones. In fact, early Rock prototypes was going to be the original thrust of that article, but it morphed into something cooler. Certainly less "hype" than an actual revelation about something nobody ever seems to discuss, but I think it's critical to understanding how Rock, Gunner & Sarge, and other serialized characters evolved (with origins/1st apps that are more nuanced than typical superhero characters) from a genre that consisted entirely of non-continuing characters.

I like reading all the OPG reports, but I'd like it a whole lot more if people came in with more historical / analytical writing and less talk about how much a book sold for or how it's going to be the next hot item. I don't have the knowledge to pinpoint what will be hot and I don't have the interest either. Matt has said that the folks at Overstreet actually like the analytical stuff and that might explain what warrants the special section. Again, I admit that I'm biased here, but that's what I've heard at least.

Oh, and in case anybody cares, there was a mistake--more an omission--that clouded the meaning of my washtone article this past year. For anybody who actually cares, I posted a correction to the table that accompanied the article in the war comics section of the SA threads back on July 28, 2014. It'll make a LOT more sense than the table that OPG printed.

The Salidas are reknowned for their exceptional preservation, but typically do not grade all that high because many weren`t structurally preserved that well.

A white paged, structurally sound, fresh new book that happens to have a crease or two is so much more preferable to a structurally "perfect" book that would fall apart by a strong look in its general direction.

No argument there!

As a contributor to the War Report, I'm coming from a biased angle here, but OPG truly does welcome us, and they've expressed a sincere interest in giving special sections to other genre collectors--romance, western, sci-fi, etc.

Frankly, I had misgivings about adding any more fuel to the fire than I already have over the years, but Matt was going to go forward with it and I felt that maybe I could generate some historical/fanboy balance to some of the discussion about hottest, most valuable, top-20, etc. I think all that stuff is fun, but as a fan, I like to share [and read other folks' contributions about] the lesser-known tidbits and easter eggs that people don't usually think of.

The one I'm most proud of was the one from two guides ago that explored the origins of the extended 12-page story in war comics. I researched quite a bit around that topic and I discovered it more because I was doing a page count on early Sgt. Rock prototypes and comparing them against later ones. In fact, early Rock prototypes was going to be the original thrust of that article, but it morphed into something cooler. Certainly less "hype" than an actual revelation about something nobody ever seems to discuss, but I think it's critical to understanding how Rock, Gunner & Sarge, and other serialized characters evolved (with origins/1st apps that are more nuanced than typical superhero characters) from a genre that consisted entirely of non-continuing characters.

I like reading all the OPG reports, but I'd like it a whole lot more if people came in with more historical / analytical writing and less talk about how much a book sold for or how it's going to be the next hot item. I don't have the knowledge to pinpoint what will be hot and I don't have the interest either. Matt has said that the folks at Overstreet actually like the analytical stuff and that might explain what warrants the special section. Again, I admit that I'm biased here, but that's what I've heard at least.

Oh, and in case anybody cares, there was a mistake--more an omission--that clouded the meaning of my washtone article this past year. For anybody who actually cares, I posted a correction to the table that accompanied the article in the war comics section of the SA threads back on July 28, 2014. It'll make a LOT more sense than the table that OPG printed.

One of the reasons why OAAW 83 has progressed to the heights of the OSPG SA top 20 can be attributed to the War Report and the great job you guys have done in putting a spotlight on the war genre. As I've said before, while the SA is known as the second great age of superheroes, this era also gave rise to the greatest war comics in the history of the medium. It's time that this is acknowledged by most collectors- it's great for our hobby that other genres be noted for what they offer to the history of this great medium. Thank you for contributing to the wonderful War Report!

No argument there!

I prefer white paged, fresh AND structurally perfect. :juggle:

One of the reasons why OAAW 83 has progressed to the heights of the OSPG SA top 20 can be attributed to the War Report and the great job you guys have done in putting a spotlight on the war genre. As I've said before, while the SA is known as the second great age of superheroes, this era also gave rise to the greatest war comics in the history of the medium. It's time that this is acknowledged by most collectors- it's great for our hobby that other genres be noted for what they offer to the history of this great medium. Thank you for contributing to the wonderful War Report!

Exactly! A separate section for the War Report, with separate Top 10 & Top 20 lists only fuels the speculative fires and creates additional sheeple flocking into the hunt. Its just human nature to be part of/own books from a Top 10, etc list and that's one of the reasons I question having the War report as separate section in the price guide.

No argument there!

He looks down from His marble tower upon the scintillating neon paradise that is Hong Kong..... and pulls from his long box a perfect copy of Adventure Comics 247.... the Full Moon peeks o'er his shoulder at this thing that should not be. GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

No argument there!

He looks down from His marble tower upon the scintillating neon paradise that is Hong Kong..... and pulls from his long box a perfect copy of Adventure Comics 247.... the Full Moon peeks o'er his shoulder at this thing that should not be. GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

jimbo, you are this thread's poet laureate (thumbs u

No argument there!

Well. That's a given. But most of us don't have $200,000 to drop on a 9.4 JIM #83 or such. :whee:

Wonder if these threads help the price in any way? Cerebus 1....OAAW83.... what's next that needs an artificial bump?

Of course they do, it was an earlier thread several years ago about OAAW #83 that persuaded me to pick one up when otherwise I would have stuck to superhero books. But, the more I learned about it and war books in general, the more I thought it should be a legitimate, must-have Silver Age key.