• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

OAAW 83's potential to be a top 5 SA key?

529 posts in this topic

Andy, big congrats to you and your fellow War Reporters in getting Bob Overstreet to put Rock's book where it belongs! The first War Book to make Overstreet's top 20 SA key list is historical and great for the hobby. Yes, the SA was primarily known for the return of the superhero as the most popular genre but let's not forget the greatest era for the war comic also happened during this time...

Congrats also goes out to the boardies who have always recognized OAAW 83 as a great SA key- one of those books that is extremely difficult to find in grade no matter how deep one's pockets are.

Again, congrats to Andy and the War Reporters!

John

Well, no need to congratulate me, Matt or Mick.

The case for OAAW 83 to be a top 20 book is a solid one. I am really happy to see that it is getting this recognition now.

A few years ago, I would have just used my personal bias to say that it is a top 20 silver age book. Now, we can look at sales data and back it up.

Very, very cool to see this reflected in Overstreet now. (thumbs u

Agreed, OAAW 83 is a major SA key and it rightfully has its place among the OSPG's top 20 SA keys- without a movie...

Perhaps Rock's 1st App. will move up the list after Warner Brothers announces plans for a discussion about the possibility of developing a -script in 2018 for an upcoming movie that would begin filming in 2021?

You guys get a big congrats for the great work you do on the War Report. Bringing the War Genre to unfamiliar collectors is important for our hobby.

John

Does anyone know where OAAW #1 ranks in the top golden age comics?? did it even make the top 100?

Even tougher to find IMO than #83 especially in mid to higher grades

- OAAW 1 is not a GA book - Dated August 1952- 7 years after the GA ended.

-OAAW 83 is the biggest war key ever.

Does anyone know where OAAW #1 ranks in the top golden age comics?? did it even make the top 100?

Hmmm ,..well the comic is hard enough to find already but if I was looking for a OAAW#1 on Ebay in the silver age section I would likely never,.. ever find it listed.

Hmmm ,..well the comic is hard enough to find already but if I was looking for a OAAW#1 on Ebay in the silver age section I would likely never,.. ever find it listed.

I saw the raw copy of #1 (VG-) was sold on eBay two years ago for about $260.

Here's one- asking price is much less than what an OAAW 83 sells for in that grade range:

http://www.amazon.com/OUR-ARMY-WAR-CGC-Grade/dp/B00T3AO5K4

The case for OAAW 83 to be a top 20 book is a solid one. I am really happy to see that it is getting this recognition now.

A few years ago, I would have just used my personal bias to say that it is a top 20 silver age book. Now, we can look at sales data and back it up.

Just read the War Report- thanks for referring to this thread in the Report. I've never heard of a specific thread being mentioned or referred to in the Guide before. It's nice to see that the guys at Overstreet read what we write around here.

Andy, will this one be a record breaker? My guess is this 8.0 will sell for more than any other SA DC 8.0 except for SC 4.

http://comics.ha.com/itm/silver-age-1956-1969-/our-army-at-war-83-dc-1959-cgc-vf-80-off-white-to-white-pages/p/7147-67005.s?ic4=GalleryView-Thumbnail-071515

John

What a beautiful book.

I think it's hard to predict what it would sell for....$25k? $30k? More? We're talking about the rarest of the rare, but a book with less followers than your other mega keys.

If I was setting the over/under on this now, I'd set it at $30k.

Joey

What a beautiful book.

I think it's hard to predict what it would sell for....$25k? $30k? More? We're talking about the rarest of the rare, but a book with less followers than your other mega keys.

Joey

That's what I figure. One thing to remember with this book- yes, it has fewer followers and that's a factor that defines why it's a major key. It's a good thing to have a SA key that requires a challenge. This book also opens up the door for other SA war keys. SSWS 84...

What a beautiful book.

Joey

That's what I figure. One thing to remember with this book- yes, it has fewer followers and that's a factor that defines why it's a major key. It's a good thing to have a SA key that requires a challenge. This book also opens up the door for other SA war keys. SSWS 84...

I'm not so sure. The one thing that I believe will hold back SSWS 84 is the fact that very few people even know who Mlle Marie is. That's not the case with Sgt Rock.

I'd like to see some of this door opening be applied to The Haunted Tank but again, doesn't have the name recognition of Sgt Rock.

What a beautiful book.

Joey

I'm not so sure. The one thing that I believe will hold back SSWS 84 is the fact that very few people even know who Mlle Marie is. That's not the case with Sgt Rock.

I'd like to see some of this door opening be applied to The Haunted Tank but again, doesn't have the name recognition of Sgt Rock.

I'd say Enemy Ace and Unknown Soldier have more interest.

What a beautiful book.

Joey

I had that view until seeing the the latest War Report. SSWS 84 jumped up to 13th place and there's no slowing this book down. Marie is the closest example of SA War "Good Girl Art"." She's also the exclusive female SA war heroine. My guess is that war collectors who don't have this book are looking for it. What I suspect will also happen is the interest in this book will expand beyond the interest of exclusive war collectors. SSWS 84 is only beginning to break out whereas OAAW 151 has been in the minds of war collectors for quite some time. OAAW 168 is slowly creeping up the War Report ranks- stealth-like for the Unknown Soldier!

All must haves, nevertheless.

What a beautiful book.

Joey

I had that view until seeing the the latest War Report. SSWS 84 jumped up to 13th place and there's no slowing this book down. Marie is the closest example of SA War "Good Girl Art"." She's also the exclusive female SA war heroine. My guess is that war collectors who don't have this book are looking for it. What I suspect will also happen is the interest in this book will expand beyond the interest of exclusive war collectors. SSWS 84 is only beginning to break out whereas OAAW 151 has been in the minds of war collectors for quite some time. OAAW 168 is slowly creeping up the War Report ranks- stealth-like for the Unknown Soldier!

All must haves, nevertheless.

I agree with all of this, but I would add that--and maybe this is just my ignorance--she doesn't have a legacy of stories and artistic achievement that some other characters have. Without some new iteration creating interest, it's hard for me to see her as having huge potential, let alone bigger than Enemy Ace or Unknown Soldier.

I think that's a valid point. Mlle Marie has appeared in a handful of comics over the last several decades. Obviously, she is getting a bump right now but how far can it go? I really don't see it going very far.

I think that's a valid point. Mlle Marie has appeared in a handful of comics over the last several decades. Obviously, she is getting a bump right now but how far can it go? I really don't see it going very far.

Marie is the GI Jane of the SA. Marie is a war heroine who can resonate with the modern age where women have a greater role in the Armed Forces. There's tremendous potential for Marie.

And we can't discount scarcity- SSWS 84 is an extremely difficult book to find- more so than OAAW 151 and SSWS 168.

My guess is that the guys behind the War Report have picked up on this. Expect to see SSWS 84 to jump into the top 10 war keys next year.

The War keys are still being defined and discovered. Look at the decades it took to find the true definition of OAAW 83? SSWS 168? There's plenty of ground to cover for newer generations of comic book collectors. The war genre will continue to attract collectors. And Marie is the only female war heroine- she's is a historic SA comic book war heroine. Doesn't hurt that she's French.