• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Lone Star Comics

13 posts in this topic

Just wanted to thank Clobberintime for the kind words, but with one correction. Bedrock City is actually in Houston.

Thanks again.

Richard

I've purchased from Lone Star a number of times. Here's a sampling of their grades and the grades CGC assigned:

Aquaman 52 double cover

Lone Star grade: NM

CGC: outer cover 7.5 VF-

inner cover 9.4 NM off-white pages

(Higher grade awarded)

Captain America 103

Lone Star: NM

CGC: 9.2 NM- Off-white pages

Daredevil 11

CGC: 9.0 Very Fine/NM White pages

Detective Comics 59

Lone Star: Very Good+ (bought two summers ago)

CGC: 6.5 Fine+ Cream to Off-white pages

Fantastic Four 80

CGC: 9.0 VF/NM White to Off-white pages

Hulk 105

CGC: 7.0 FN/VF White to Off-white pages (CGC noted a large stain inside the front cover, dark cover made it difficult to notice)

X-Men 65

CGC: 9.2 NM- Off-white pages

X-Men 57

CGC: 9.0 VF/NM Off-white pages

They've always been great about responding to questions I've had about specific issues I'm interested in.

I was not impressed with their modern issues. They list most of their comics as NM but that is as far as they go. The issues i have gotten were around VF to VF/NM maybe some were NM-. But they do have good customer service. I was able to get my money back for issues I didn't like but if you are looking for cgc quality high grades, ie 9.6 to 9.8, stick to books that are already graded

I'll never order back issues from them again, honestly. 80's-90's modern books near mint in their eyes generally turned up FN/VF... some even in the VG/FN range. Every so often a book will come in at grade, but that's more a happy accident than anything else, IMO. I've tried their back issue service a couple of times, giving them the benefit of the doubt, but I was burned in both cases.

Maybe they do better at Silver Age stuff - I'll never bother to find out.