• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

All the recognized Marvel Silver Pedigrees?

25 posts in this topic

Which pedis have books that fall within Marvel's Silver age? Here's my stab. I'm curious if there are some I am missing.

Curator

Pacific Coast

Green River

Western Penn

Northland

Bowling Green

Winnipeg

White Mountain

Boston

Oakland

Ohio

Bethlehem

Circle 8(?)

Diamond Run

Massachusetts

MH2

Big Apple

And what would be some of the tippy-top not recognized collections?

Monterey

Golden State (not recognized?)

Slobodian

Edenwald

Sid's Luncheonette!

Cleveland

Which pedis have books that fall within Marvel's Silver age. Here's my stab. I'm curious if there are some I am missing.

Curator

Pacific Coast

Green River

Western Penn

Northland

Bowling Green

Winnipeg

White Mountain

Boston

Oakland

Ohio

Bethlehem

Circle 8(?)

Diamond Run

Edenwald(?)

Massachusetts

MH2

Big Apple

Monterey

Slobodian

Mile High 2 is not a pedigree. It's a warehouse find of remainder copies.

I don't know if Northford had any silver age books. If it did, it would have been the last books from the collection spilling over into the early silver-age period.

Another tippy-top not-recognized collection is the Sid's Luncheonette collection consisting of books purchased as a child and lovingly cared for by our own Burntboy. yay.gif

You might not refer to MH2 as a pedigree, but CGC regards it as such. gossip.gif

I thought there was some debate about whether they consider it a pedigree or a collection? confused.gif

Do collections manage to make their way onto the label? For some reason I had associated "collection" with "the word typically used to describe a nice group of books that fall short of pedigree recognition". Except being the "From the Collection of" books. 893blahblah.gif

You might not refer to MH2 as a pedigree, but CGC regards it as such. gossip.gif

I thought there was some debate about whether they consider it a pedigree or a collection? confused.gif

I don't think there was ever a confusion on the part of CGC. We all know the story behind it. From what I know, the MH2 pedigree designation was only listed on a certain number of books. Once Chuck reached that number no other books could be designated as such. This represented the pinnacle of buying a pedigree.

As far as I know collections are still not notated on the label, except in the case of Nic Cage.

Just to clarify -- from what Steve told me, they only agreed to certify one pallet of Mile High 2 books as being from that collection, and that was because Chuck "found" that pallet years later and it was separated from the other books. I know that CGC didn't used to note Mile High 2 on the labels, for example, click here and here too . Steve also said that they won't certify any more of them. It was one pallet that would get certified and that's it. No other books will be certified as such, even if accompanied by a certificate.

The Mile High 2 find does not meet any of the requirements for a pedigree, except that many of the books were high grade. If that's all that's needed for a pedigree, then every warehouse find is a pedigree. I view CGC's certification of these books as being more of a recognition akin to "the Nicolas Cage Collection" than a pedigree.

I don't think there was ever a confusion on the part of CGC. We all know the story behind it. From what I know, the MH2 pedigree designation was only listed on a certain number of books. Once Chuck reached that number no other books could be designated as such. This represented the pinnacle of buying a pedigree.

As far as I know collections are still not notated on the label, except in the case of Nic Cage.

Dallas Stephens/milehighcomics.com collection too. frustrated.gif

I agree with you about Chuck "buying a pedigree." frown.gif

If it's ok with you, I am going to pretend that it never happened and continue referring to it as a warehouse find though. yay.gif

Do collections manage to make their way onto the label? For some reason I had associated "collection" with "the word typically used to describe a nice group of books that fall short of pedigree recognition". Except being the "From the Collection of" books. 893blahblah.gif

The "collection" notation usually means that the owner who had the books certified did not buy them all off the newsstand (one of the requirements of a pedigree, which is yet another reason Mile High 2 shouldn't qualify).

The way you get the "collection" notation is (no kidding) you submit a crapload of books for CGC to grade and ask for one.

Dallas Stephens/milehighcomics.com collection too. frustrated.gif

I agree with you about Chuck "buying a pedigree." frown.gif

If it's ok with you, I am going to pretend that it never happened and continue referring to it as a warehouse find though. yay.gif

thumbsup2.gif

Which pedis have books that fall within Marvel's Silver age? Here's my stab. I'm curious if there are some I am missing.

Curator

Pacific Coast

Green River

Western Penn

Northland

Bowling Green

Winnipeg

White Mountain

Boston

Oakland

Ohio

Bethlehem

Circle 8(?)

Diamond Run

Massachusetts

MH2

Big Apple

Monterey

Slobodian

Edenwald

Sid's Luncheonette!

does anyone has a rough number of the overral value of each pedigree coll.?!?! 893scratchchin-thumb.gif893whatthe.gif

After I knew I had a complete list, I was going to start up a post where folks here could rank the recognized pedis. Being relatively new to this aspect of the hobby, I'm curious to know what the general opinion of these books are. There isn't much written down, yet, about a lot of these collections, so all you really have to go on is the opinions of folks who might have seen bits and pieces of each.

Only on the books that Mile High submits directly. If I submit a MH2 copy they will not label it as such. I could have switched it with another copy, so they won't put it unless the people from MH send it in. If it comes from Chuck, it's the real deal, from anyone else, it's a mystery?

What? No "A" Collection! The collection assembled by one of the biggest collectors in the country?

I for one am honored to get books with this lineage knowing that they passed through his hands!

You and I know that at best it would be "From the Collection of *****" just like Nicholas Cage which basically mean NA DA.

So toss out your opinion on the BEST Silver-Age Pedigree?

I honestly have to say that I'm fond of the Northland or Pacific Coast the most. Basically, because neither have date stamps / writing and both have good quality of production. I haven't seen enough Curators, so if I saw more (or owned more), my opinion could change.

Were pedigreed books "found" by the collector or did they go straight from the manufacturer to the collector ? Is there a thread that would answer my basic questions about pedigrees ??

In most cases, "the collector" bought them off of the newsstand.

Here's the "pedigree article." (the most linked page off of these boards.)