• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Can someone help me...

59 posts in this topic

Everybody probably knows this except me, but can anybody give me a detail list of the comic book eras. What years did they start, and end. What was the prices of the comic book surrounding that era. By era I mean golden age, silver age, bronze age, modern age. Thanks.

Okay I found the years, can someone give me the prices...

Golden Age (1938-1955)

Silver Age (1955-1970)

Bronze Age (1970-1990)

Modern Age (1990-today)

You forgot Copper (1984-1992)

Copper Age. What a load of cr@p. Anything 1980 and up is "modern" to me. when did this Copper junk start?

Last year when Overstreet Price guide had a referendum and people realised 25 years is way too long for the "Modern" Age

Especially when there is such a huge difference on all levels between a comic from 1983, one from 1993 and one from 2003...

Yet all should be labelled "Modern" ?

You have 500 posts on this board and you've never seen there is a whole section dedicated to the Copper Age ? juggle.gif

Copper Age. What a load of cr@p. Anything 1980 and up is "modern" to me. when did this Copper junk start?

Last year when Overstreet Price guide had a referendum and people realised 25 years is way too long for the "Modern" Age

Especially when there is such a huge difference on all levels between a comic from 1983, one from 1993 and one from 2003...

I tend to agree that anything post-1979 is Modern. Now, in the modern age you can have other ages... 1980-1989 -- Copper, 1990-1998 -- Chromium, 1998-present -- Glacial (referring to the pace of stories). grin.gif

You have 500 posts on this board and you've never seen there is a whole section dedicated to the Copper Age ? juggle.gif

Nope, I must have missed it. But what comes after Copper? What happens when the current modern age goes for over 20 or 25 years? We'll have to use another type of metal. There's Platinum, but it would have to be the oldest age would it not? It'll be interesting to see what happens with this in the future. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I agree. I think the Copper idea is lame.

Not one person ever says I am looking for Copper books. Its always Modern.

I think that in the future people will just associate the word Copper with Modern. While I think there is a big difference between what books from 1980-1988 are, and 1989-now. I don't necessarily think we need to classify them with a new name.

I think it will just cause more confusion.

How about Early Moderns, and Late moderns?

I think that in the future people will just associate the word Copper with Modern. While I think there is a big difference between what books from 1980-1988 are, and 1989-now. I don't necessarily think we need to classify them with a new name.

It took years before people started to use the term 'Bronze Age" as well.

I'm also glad people are finally stopping using exact 10-year intervals between the ages.

I feel Bronze did not end in 1979....but did end in 1984

Secret Wars 1 (crossover mania started)

Crisis on Infinite Earths 1

TMNT #1 (start Independent Boom)

And ended with Image in 1992

And I like to refer to 1992 through to 2000 as "The Dark Ages" as basically 3/4 of what was published in that period was kaka... sumo.gif

It took years before people started to use the term 'Bronze Age" as well.

I'm also glad people are finally stopping using exact 10-year intervals between the ages.

I feel Bronze did not end in 1979....but did end in 1984

Secret Wars 1 (crossover mania started)

Crisis on Infinite Earths 1

TMNT #1 (start Independent Boom)

Image...

And I like to refer to 1992 through to 2000 as "The Dark Ages" as basically 3/4 of what was published in that period was kaka... sumo.gif

You're right it's a good idea to put them in decades, but we can't continue to choose new elements to name them. i think they should just be named: 60's, 70's, 80's, etc. Especially with more modern books. I like the terms Gold and Silver, but after that I think 70's, 80's, 90's should work just fine.

You're right it's a good idea to put them in decades, but we can't continue to choose new elements to name them. i think they should just be named: 60's, 70's, 80's, etc. Especially with more modern books. I like the terms Gold and Silver, but after that I think 70's, 80's, 90's should work just fine.

I'm all for that....using the decade numbers would be a heck of a lot easier...less romantic but easier.

Even though I love the terms 'Gold/Silver/Bronze/Copper' to be honest only the Golden Age deserves a special "name"...

People called that specific period "The Golden Age" because it was just that, a period where the industry was at its hight. Just like we use "The Golden Age" for various periods in time when a cultural, political or economical zenith has been reached.

Some people thought it would be cool to name the 60's Renaissance of comics "The Silver Age" in analogy with "The Golden Age". And then the ball started rolling

There is already a Platinum Age. The full list is:

??? Age (stay tuned...)

Victorian Age (1828-1883)

Platinum Age (1883-1938)

Golden Age (1938-1945)

Atom Age (1946-1956)

Silver Age (1956-1970)

Bronze Age (1970-1984)

Copper Age (1984-1992)

Modern Age (1992-Present)

Arnold

I didn't know a question like this would raise so many questions and doubts about how the age of comics were named and classified.... frustrated.gif

Search the boards, there was a huge thread about "which book started the Bronze Age"

There is already a Platinum Age. The full list is:

??? Age (stay tuned...)

Victorian Age (1828-1883)

Platinum Age (1883-1938)

Golden Age (1938-1945)

Atom Age (1946-1956)

Silver Age (1956-1970)

Bronze Age (1970-1984)

Copper Age (1984-1992)

Modern Age (1992-Present)

Arnold

That's the worst thing I've ever seen and/or heard.