• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CGG/PGA/PGX thread?

18 posts in this topic

About a month ago there was a pretty big time CGG/PGA/PGX thread going. It must have been pulled, cause I was unable to find it.

The reason for this post, is that I just got an email that I should be expecting some books I sent to PGX later this week. I also bought a scanner on eBay over the weekend. So once, I get both I will make some scans, put them on a web page, and post a link to them so we can all check out how well they were graded. Sound good? confused-smiley-013.gif

About a month ago there was a pretty big time CGG/PGA/PGX thread going. It must have been pulled, cause I was unable to find it.

The reason for this post, is that I just got an email that I should be expecting some books I sent to PGX later this week. I also bought a scanner on eBay over the weekend. So once, I get both I will make some scans, put them on a web page, and post a link to them so we can all check out how well they were graded. Sound good? confused-smiley-013.gif

Thats sounds good, I'm thinking about sending them some of my modern comics their way..But I will see how they grade first...

Additional points of reference are always welcome. But unless the books in question were already graded by CGC in the past, we'll be comparing scans to slabs...which is less than ideal but better than nothing...

Be sure to post those in the 'Grading and Restoration' section, not this main section.

Additional points of reference are always welcome. But unless the books in question were already graded by CGC in the past, we'll be comparing scans to slabs...which is less than ideal but better than nothing...

Be sure to post those in the 'Grading and Restoration' section, not this main section.

Gotcha! Thanks thumbsup2.gif

I have a feeling what the books were before I sent them, so I just want to compare what I thought compared to what their graders thought. Might be interesting, ya know?

I have a feeling what the books were before I sent them, so I just want to compare what I thought compared to what their graders thought. Might be interesting, ya know?

It's always interesting, whether it is CGC or PGX. As mentioned many times before, although not always the case, PGX is certainly tougher ON AVERAGE for Modern high grades. Regarding older books and 8.5 and below, from my experience CGC and PGX are about equally consistent and I have been surprised both on the low side and the high side on their grading. My rule of thumb is that since the only Modern books worth slabbing are super high grades (NM+ and up) and knowing how tough PGX is on these books, I only send these to CGC. I have on occasion received some 9.8s from PGX but my ratio is much less than when I've gone with CGC for similar books.

It's always interesting, whether it is CGC or PGX. As mentioned many times before, although not always the case, PGX is certainly tougher ON AVERAGE for Modern high grades. Regarding older books and 8.5 and below, from my experience CGC and PGX are about equally consistent and I have been surprised both on the low side and the high side on their grading. My rule of thumb is that since the only Modern books worth slabbing are super high grades (NM+ and up) and knowing how tough PGX is on these books, I only send these to CGC. I have on occasion received some 9.8s from PGX but my ratio is much less than when I've gone with CGC for similar books.

Yeah, I sent in an Uncanny 266 and ASM 361. If neither of them come back at least a 9.6, which is the highest they would get, I'll probably pull them out of the slab and put them back in my modern keys box. Sent in a couple of SA's though, in different grade ranges.

Yeah, I sent in an Uncanny 266 and ASM 361. If neither of them come back at least a 9.6, which is the highest they would get, I'll probably pull them out of the slab and put them back in my modern keys box. Sent in a couple of SA's though, in different grade ranges.

Well, I just found out that my books are on the way and I should get them tomorrow or sometime next week. Daniel also informed me that my two moderns (ASM 361 and UXM 266) were both given 9.4. I'm a little disappointed but not all that surprised. They had outside shots at 9.6 i thought. Oh well. I lied above, I'll probably keep em slabbed just for show. No idea what my SA's were graded, can't wait to find out. I'm really just hoping that my ASM 50 is a 3.5. I will jump out my 2nd floor window. 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

They are really tough on modern's. Their grading is way tougher than overstreet. I sent a 10.0 in and got a 9.6. That being said, I would be curious to have them disclose their cookbook/benchmark on how they arrive at their grades. What I like is that they are not a factory for "buy a grade" (Like the card graders that are out there) and are trying to carve out a niche as the Gold Standard for grading. I think there is a real opportunity to buy their comprable modern graded books at a discount compared to CGC while this pricing gap still exists.

They are really tough on modern's. Their grading is way tougher than overstreet. I sent a 10.0 in and got a 9.6. That being said, I would be curious to have them disclose their cookbook/benchmark on how they arrive at their grades. What I like is that they are not a factory for "buy a grade" (Like the card graders that are out there) and are trying to carve out a niche as the Gold Standard for grading. I think there is a real opportunity to buy their comprable modern graded books at a discount compared to CGC while this pricing gap still exists.

No offense, but just because you think it was a 10.0 doesn't mean it was.

No kiddin'. I wanted to test the waters with what I thought was a 10.0. I grabbed a prestige format book that was perfect in every way. Sharp, white, no flaking, no dents, perfect interior and PQ, everything. If CGC didn't give it a 9.8 I'd be very surprised, however "to me" it was a 10.0. I sent this book to PGA and received a 9.4. confused-smiley-013.gif

No kiddin'. I wanted to test the waters with what I thought was a 10.0. I grabbed a prestige format book that was perfect in every way. Sharp, white, no flaking, no dents, perfect interior and PQ, everything. If CGC didn't give it a 9.8 I'd be very surprised, however "to me" it was a 10.0. I sent this book to PGA and received a 9.4. confused-smiley-013.gif

They are very rough on moderns. I sent in 30 '80s X-Men -- all 9.6 or better (yes, I know what a 9.6 looks like). Something like 13 of them came back with 9.6 or 9.8. The other 17 didn't pass the screening. I still don't know what they found on them.

Maybe you should have asked.... makepoint.gif

There are no graders notes on pre-screens... thus the pre-screen concept. gossip.gif

One thing I do like a/b CGPGCGX is that they email you the graders notes on all books below 9.4 when your order ships. Now, if they would just include the grades of the 9.4+ books I'd be happier.

Maybe you should have asked.... makepoint.gif

There are no graders notes on pre-screens... thus the pre-screen concept. gossip.gif

One thing I do like a/b CGPGCGX is that they email you the graders notes on all books below 9.4 when your order ships. Now, if they would just include the grades of the 9.4+ books I'd be happier.

They no longer do that. You have to request them now. And they really weren't that helpful. They gave me about 8 total words for each book.

They are very rough on moderns. I sent in 30 '80s X-Men -- all 9.6 or better (yes, I know what a 9.6 looks like). Something like 13 of them came back with 9.6 or 9.8. The other 17 didn't pass the screening. I still don't know what they found on them.

I'm actually glad to hear that. This shows honesty. They returned more than half of your books due to their strict grading standards rather than having put a 9.6 tag these nearly perfect books and keeping your money.