• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Top 5 Comics/Graphic Novels you read for the first time in 2014?

35 posts in this topic

Read Preacher this year, the first 2 trades of Saga and just started Sandman.

Preacher was a little overrated in my opinion. I liked it but not as much as Y the last man or the first few trades of Fables (read those in 2012 and 2013)

Saga is just awesome so far, like Star Wars on steroids.

Sandman is really good so far as well.

:applause:

Great stuff, keep them coming!

Deadpool Omnibus.

I didn`t know this character was so cool. Now I know why he is so popular.

deadpool-omnibus-cover-a.png

and of course

T2eC16VzUFIcFCK43zBSLoQ6F+160_57-262x350.jpg

Got a five sentence review of the New Guardians of the Galaxy?

I found the Guardians of the Galaxy trade paperbacks not only to be a good introduction to the characters that inspired the movie, but also a good introduction to the modern Marvel comic book universe. If long-time readers have been out of the loop about Marvel Comics, then these trade paper backs are where to start. The stories were fresh and exciting. I loved the art, plus lots of Groot and Rocket Raccoon!

:cloud9:

Deadpool Omnibus.

and of course

I found the Guardians of the Galaxy trade paperbacks not only to be a good introduction to the characters that inspired the movie, but also a good introduction to the modern Marvel comic book universe. If long-time readers have been out of the loop about Marvel Comics, then these trade paper backs are where to start. The stories were fresh and exciting. I loved the art, plus lots of Groot and Rocket Raccoon!

What kind of review is THAT? You could just as well be recommending Banana Cream Pie.

Try this:

Dan Abnett & Andy Lanning give us a Marvel Cosmic Adventure the way it was meant to be done. By bringing a team together begrudgingly, and with baggage and making it somehow rumble into place, while simultaneously saving the universe. Why it took two of them to write it, I don't know, but I'm not complaining as there's not a whole lot of comics these days I have the time to actually sit and read 25 issues of.

So you're curious to read about Star-Lord and Gamora, and Rocket and Groot, and Drax after seeing the movie? Sheik yer booty dude, there's much much more than THAT in store. How about some Adam Warlock? Mantis? Cosmo the space dog? The original Guardians? The Skrulls?...THANOS?

Yeah, this isn't just some lame 25 issue series to promote something.... this is a rollicking space adventure that kicks the door back open to a new era of Marvel Cosmic Adventures. This is what started it.

Paul Pelletier starts off on art and the series is finished up by Brad Walker. I'm old school and somewhat critical of a lot of modern art and it's lack of sequential storytelling basics, but these two do a fine job and never distract from the story, but rather do what they're supposed to do - give it a visual appeal that makes it entertaining.

Very much worth it and now collected in two convenient 300 page each trades.

March: Book 1

Read it with my 3rd grade students. Managed to Skype John Lewis into my classroom so that the kids could interview him. The book is a life-changing read. One of the best comics. . .one of the best things I've ever read. Meeting John Lewis sealed the deal. As close to a real-life superhero that you can get. Book 2 is out soon.

Deadpool Omnibus.

and of course

What kind of review is THAT?[/b] You could just as well be recommending Banana Cream Pie.

Try this:

Dan Abnett & Andy Lanning give us a Marvel Cosmic Adventure the way it was meant to be done. By bringing a team together begrudgingly, and with baggage and making it somehow rumble into place, while simultaneously saving the universe. Why it took two of them to write it, I don't know, but I'm not complaining as there's not a whole lot of comics these days I have the time to actually sit and read 25 issues of.

So you're curious to read about Star-Lord and Gamora, and Rocket and Groot, and Drax after seeing the movie? Sheik yer booty dude, there's much much more than THAT in store. How about some Adam Warlock? Mantis? Cosmo the space dog? The original Guardians? The Skrulls?...THANOS?

Yeah, this isn't just some lame 25 issue series to promote something.... this is a rollicking space adventure that kicks the door back open to a new era of Marvel Cosmic Adventures. This is what started it.

Paul Pelletier starts off on art and the series is finished up by Brad Walker. I'm old school and somewhat critical of a lot of modern art and it's lack of sequential storytelling basics, but these two do a fine job and never distract from the story, but rather do what they're supposed to do - give it a visual appeal that makes it entertaining.

Very much worth it and now collected in two convenient 300 page each trades.

My review got to the point in under 5 sentences that Guardians was a good read,while yours basically came to the same conclusion,but took much longer to read.

Plus, he asked for a 5 sentence review, and not an essay. :baiting:

I rarely buy new printed comics, opting for digital purchase, but I picked up the following because they were just that good and wanted copies on hand to both share and support the creators (again). (no specific order)

51wd3KoDvAL._AA278_PIkin4,BottomRight,-48,22_AA300_SH20_OU15_.jpg

- Ms. Marvel, Vol. 1: No Normal (Had zero history / interest in the character but after seeing so many great reviews and some preview pages I feel this is one of Marvels stronger new releases)

61nNvIWptgL._AA278_PIkin4,BottomRight,-43,22_AA300_SH20_OU15_.jpg

- Climate Changed: A Personal Journey through the Science (A very approachable and detailed, with citations, view of climate change. The graphic novel format allows this heavy scientific facts to be easily absorbed and referenced. A very good read for those who might struggle with WHY climate change occurs and what comes from it)

200px-Gyo_volume_1.jpg

- Gyo, Vol. 1 & 2 ( Super surreal and amazing. From the amazing Junji Ito who did the legendary Uzumaki series. This was one of the few comics I read that made me hope it would be made into a movie, even a cheesy horror B-movie one! )

thumb-11521-ANK_01_web.jpg

- All You Need Is Kill Vol. 1 & 2 ( So much better than the movie. Excellent flow of action and a keen sense on paneling out the combat. While not anything super original or new in either the story or art it is still a very enjoyable read. )

9cdc00bf6db3121c7bbaf22ffb56e8c8.jpg

- Beautiful Darkness ( Oh jesus christ, this book is DARK. Do not be fooled by the cover and art, this is not something you can give to children - at least not without leaving some sort of lasting impression. Excellent for YA or adults looking for a deeper, disturbing fairy tale)