• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Barcodes gone forever?

6 posts in this topic

This is what I'm told...

So I was at the mall this morning doing a little Christmas shopping and I passed through a Barnes and Noble bookstore. They have a great selection of board games and toy figures now...and of course comic books. After reading SW3Ds journal about newsstand copies I thought I'd see if they had any Marvel titles worth picking up. But wait...why is it that all I see are DC titles?

I checked with the clerk who informs me that yeah, Disney/Marvel decided to pull all their books from large retailers, opting instead to distribute solely through small businesses (which she clarified to mean comic book shops). Say what?!? Does this mean no more Marvel direct editions? Appears so. There were still plenty of DC copies though for whoever is interested. I know, I know, it's like saying there are plenty of Booster action figures when all you really want is a Turbo Man (for all you fans of the Jingle All The Way movie, lol).

RIP Marvel newsstands. :(

16218.jpg

See more journals by surfer99

I did a quick search and found a few articles about this, all from December, 2013.

http://comicsbeat.com/marvel-no-longer-selling-single-issues-in-chain-bookstores/

Here is a more recent one, from last May.

http://goodereader.com/blog/digital-comic-news/marvel-phasing-out-retail-comic-distribution-to-focus-on-digital

It sounds like Graphic Novels are still sold at these "brick and mortar" chains, but it's all about the digital platform for single issues.

I had no idea.

As a child, I depended on Stationary stores and Newsstands to get my fill of comic books and baseball cards. The majority of my comic book collection are comics purchased from such places. It is also probably safe to say that up until the Bronze Age, Newsstand Editions ruled. This started to turn around during the Copper Age in the early 80's. Fast forward to the 90's and newsstands couldn't shelf half of the sickening glut of comics which existed from the top two publishers; couple that with the independents who mainly distributed through comic shops and had very limited presence through newsstands and it marked the beginning of the end. Up until last year, only a very limited number of Marvel titles carried the Newsstand label. I could buy them at B&N and also Hudson News outlets. Then one day... poof... gone! Just like that. DC on the other hand still has a viable presence... and I really hope they thrive because I think of the young child who doesn't have access to a comic store and can only find comics at bookstores and news outlets.I understand the business reasons behind Marvel's decision, but for me it makes me feel sad to know comic books are mostly available through an LCS and no longer available on spinning racks at book stores, news outlets, supermarkets, convenience stores, pharmacies, and even gas stations. Visiting such places used to have special meaning because of the comics... now it doesn't as much.

SW3D

So, I noticed this at AAFES, Army and Air Force Exchange Service, like 2 years ago. One week they had all the new books, the next only indies and DC, no Marvel. I asked the manager and he said Marvel no longer offered their books for sale to the AAFES system. Funny thing though, Marvel still makes the AAFES exclusives only available at the PX/BX overseas and stateside, the New Avengers books. It is a little weird to say the least. We won't sell you our books, but here are some free ones for the Soldiers.