• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SPIDER-MAN Sony-Marvel potential deal OFFICIAL THREAD

351 posts in this topic

i don't think it comes down to Sony but the ones running Sony Pictures they seem to want to do more with each film in budget and story( which SP3 & ASM2 really hurt from). hell they are trying to make the next bond film with a $300 million budget, back to spiderman. No Sony should keep the rights for spiderman but make the deal with Marvel that way we have Sony building up the Spider-Verse that fits perfectly with the MCU. if Marvel go the right to spiderman we would not see a solo film of him until after Avenger Infinity War part 2. with Sony they can release film in between now & then to the MCU bigger and flush out the Infinity War even more.

The studios don't give a poop as to if it's 'good' or not, they just want it to rake in the cash.

The first two movies made good money, but it's been downhill ever since they've tried to stick their nose in it and 'help'.

They consider the Garfield movies a failure. Plain and simple.

Financially, ASM2 was a turd. When you consider what they pay to keep the character and what they pumped into it trying to prop that turd of a movie up, it's performance was embarrassing.

Iron Man 3 doubled it's gross and beat it's foreign gross (what???) on LESS of a budget -Captain America outperformed it domestically and almost did as much as ASM2 in other countries!!! Captain AMERICA!!! :o

Good/Bad. I like it/Didn't like it. Doesn't matter.

Financially, it blew dog. They're moving on in one way or another.

And if the same ding dongs are in charge, it'll be just as bad.

The studios don't give a poop as to if it's 'good' or not, they just want it to rake in the cash.

The first two movies made good money, but it's been downhill ever since they've tried to stick their nose in it and 'help'.

Financially, ASM2 was a turd. When you consider what they pay to keep the character and what they pumped into it trying to prop that turd of a movie up, it's performance was embarrassing.

Iron Man 3 doubled it's gross and beat it's foreign gross (what???) on LESS of a budget -Captain America outperformed it domestically and almost did as much as ASM2 in other countries!!! Captain AMERICA!!! :o

:golfclap:

Completely agree, it is all about the almighty dollar. Mainstream Pop Culture movies have not been made for viewers for a very long time - they are all about the bottom-line. If the hackings have proved anything it is that the Sony execs are choking on their own hubris.

i don't think it comes down to Sony but the ones running Sony Pictures they seem to want to do more with each film in budget and story( which SP3 & ASM2 really hurt from). hell they are trying to make the next bond film with a $300 million budget, back to spiderman. No Sony should keep the rights for spiderman but make the deal with Marvel that way we have Sony building up the Spider-Verse that fits perfectly with the MCU. if Marvel go the right to spiderman we would not see a solo film of him until after Avenger Infinity War part 2. with Sony they can release film in between now & then to the MCU bigger and flush out the Infinity War even more.

Random thoughts.

What can be done to make the character interesting for the movies?

We have seen two origins, two Goblins and the death of Gwen. Frankly, even though I liked ASM 2 I really don`t find Spidey that interesting anymore. When I watched ASM 2 I found Harry Osborn the more interesting character. In fact I rather see a Venom/Carnage movie then yet another Spidey movie.

When I think of Spidey now I think of a character that is aimed at the Ben-10,Scooby Doo and Power Ranger audience.

What can be done to make Spidey interesting for the movies again for an adult or should it be aimed at a 30 to 60 old male demographic?

Maybe that`s the problem in that a lot of Spider-Man`s audience has outgrown Spider-Man and moved on to Batman/Avengers?

Random thoughts.

We have seen two origins, two Goblins and the death of Gwen. Frankly, even though I liked ASM 2 I really don`t find Spidey that interesting anymore. When I watched ASM 2 I found Harry Osborn the more interesting character. In fact I rather see a Venom.Carnage movie then yet another Spidey movie.

When I think of Spidey now I think of a character that is aimed at the Ben-10,Scooby Doo and Power Ranger audience.

What can be done to make Spidey interesting for the movies again for an adult or should it be aimed at a 30 to 60 old male demographic?

Maybe that`s the problem in that a lot of Spider-Man`s audience has outgrown Spider-Man and moved on to Batman/Avengers?

Agree, they are better off with a cartoon Spidey the next time around.

However, I originally thought the ASM franchise was going to go after a gritty, darker side and they stopped short in both movies. ASM 1 was closer, but they pushed the teenage angst so hard that I think they completely lost anyone older than 19 and confused anyone younger than 13. While the movies were entertaining, I was disappointed overall (both still beat street dancing Toby in SM3).

Random thoughts.

We have seen two origins, two Goblins and the death of Gwen. Frankly, even though I liked ASM 2 I really don`t find Spidey that interesting anymore. When I watched ASM 2 I found Harry Osborn the more interesting character. In fact I rather see a Venom.Carnage movie then yet another Spidey movie.

However, I originally thought the ASM franchise was going to go after a gritty, darker side and they stopped short in both movies. ASM 1 was closer, but they pushed the teenage angst so hard that I think they completely lost anyone older than 19 and confused anyone younger than 13. While the movies were entertaining, I was disappointed overall (both still beat street dancing Toby in SM3).

+1

Random thoughts.

Maybe stick to the true essence of the character, who was Marvel's most popular title for 20+ years, until they turned it into this stupid Venom/Carnage/Clone nonsense.

We have seen two origins, two Goblins and the death of Gwen.
The first origin was the closet to the original story. It also was the highest grossing of the films.

Frankly, even though I liked ASM 2 I really don`t find Spidey that interesting anymore.
If you liked ASM2, it's no wonder. He WASN'T interesting. Garfield isn't a loner nerd. He's cool from the moment he's on screen. There's no angst. There's no longing. It's a teen love story trying to get in the way of a one dimensional superhero. Of course it's not interesting.

This isn't mimicking a 60's Marvel Comic, it's mimicking one of the 60's copycats that DIDN'T GET what made Marvel so good at the time.

When I watched ASM 2 I found Harry Osborn the more interesting character.
That dorky little creep looked like he'd cry if you pushed him down in the mud. Another horrible casting choice.

In fact I rather see a Venom/Carnage movie then yet another Spidey movie.
I know there are a lot of people who love Venom and Carnage, and - they LOOK COOL - but seriously, that is NOT what Spider-man is all about.

Do you work for Sony?

Tell the story true to it's roots and anyone will be able to relate to it.

OR, maybe they've outgrown a Spider-man written for a Ben-10 audience.

They thought people had gotten tired of Batman. Until they wrote a movie that had a real understanding of the character.

Spider-man has now made it's 'Batman Forever' type of movie - let's get back to the real essence of the character now and make it's Nolan-esque trilogy. The story is all there for it.

Random thoughts.

Yes, the Amazing Spider-man story is a much darker story than most people realize. Right up until Gwen Clone showed up.

Random thoughts.

You know you loved Street Dancing Toby. lol

They do need to pump a little steam into the character and make Spidey shine. Mark my word, if Marvel does get him, in the future Spidey will Rule the box office, and literally double his old earnings.

Personally I think Spideys story is a little tricky to tell.

It's more Parker than spiderman, and I think it requires a lot of time.

I agree. I think the darkness that Chuck mentions is the way Peter is torn. He never knows what is right or wrong. He lets the robber go to rob another day, or he ends it. This is especially true when he deals with Green Goblin and others of the like. Should he solve the problem?

I think that is how Spidey gets darker and how death is central to the character.

Dang it, I want to go to bed.

Do you realize the PTSD Peter would have from recognizing that robber?

And he NEVER addresses it after it originally happens. He CAN'T get the professional help he needs to deal with it.

So he burdens himself, with an unreal task.

He was always responsible. Until he got those powers. Those powers made him cocky - let his guard down - and look what happened.

NOW... that responsibility carries with it guilt... a heavy burden.

One that really, he can never live up to.

That burden drags him down...makes it difficult to have regular relationships... here he is stronger than anyone he knows, but he's only confident...with a mask on...when he's NOT Peter Parker...

But even that has a negative...JJJ and his constant harassment... twisted villains, who ARE NOT simply the creation of OSCORP, but rather individuals who've gone through a transformation - MUCH LIKE HIS OWN - only THEY'VE given in to the dark side of it... they've let go of any responsibility or ... sanity...

His battles with them are as much a battle with himself...

sigh

What someone like Nolan could do with this stuff...

Instead of those goons at Sony.

What someone like Nolan could do with this stuff...

Instead of those goons at Sony.

Very well put observations, Chuck.

:applause:

I think an individual's interpretation of Spider-Man can also come from what stage of his development you appreciate more. Though his foundation of why he is the way he is should be fairly consistent, which you so expertly captured.

For me, the ASM 200-300 run is my all-time favorite. At this point, Peter is established, seasoned, and always trying to do right (as usual). But he can't help continuing to have authority problems, generally questioning his own capabilities and value, and operating for the most part as a loner still. But his supporting cast and antagonists were some of the most memorable and influential. And of course, you had him dealing with some of the better Silver and Bronze Age characters like Kraven and Kingpin while also engaging off-and-on with Punisher and Black Cat. And yes, the introduction of Venom, though I was never a tremendous fan of this character.

It's no surprise how Spider-Man, if done right at the cinema, can be a tremendous success due to everyday qualities that makes the character believable.