• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SPIDER-MAN Sony-Marvel potential deal OFFICIAL THREAD

351 posts in this topic

I've been traveling for the past week and I'm not sure if people really understand what the deal is or if I am reading it wrong.

As I understand it, Spider-Man can now appear in the MCU and more than likely will have a role in the Cap movie.

Sony will continue to have the rights to the full feature films and will make the next movie with Kevin as producer.

How people are taking this to be more than that (Spider-man joining the Avengers, Marvel choosing directors/writers) is where I am lost.

The full extent of the agreement is not completely clear. But the same folks that leaked a pending deal had this to say about it.

LATINO REVIEW: MARVELOUS DA7E 82

-----------------------

Most importantly: When will we see Spider-Man again?

That will be Captain America: Civil War, which is shooting soonish and had Black Panther in what was initially Peter Parker’s spot: a character that is pre-existing in the Marvel Universe but was being introduced in Captain America 3 with the full blessing of Chris Evans and Robert Downey Jr, Avengers franchise leaders.

-----------------------

So no Miles Morales?

I’m sure Marvel would love to, but considering Sony has creative control over Spidey’s core universe, he’ll never be more than a bit player in the MCU and Sony’s version will almost certainly be Peter Parker.

There’s the mystery of the other Sony “Spider-Man spin-offs,” I’ve heard Venom, Sinister Six and “a female lead” Spider-Movie, going forward without Kevin Feige’s involvement. That means basically non-canonical in the MCU unless it jives with Marvel’s vibe. Morales could show up there by the grace of God, but this first Spider-Man is going to be Peter Parker.

-----------------------

Go back to that “bit player” part.

Because Sony and Marvel don’t automatically get shares of each other’s box office when Spider-Man is involved, there is going to be a balance between these two large companies. Marvel doesn’t need Spider-Man as much as they need to push forward with their grand plan through Phase III. It’s nice to have access to the Spider-Man relationships (Hulk V. Spider-Man, please!), but he’s not going to be a featured character. Peter’s story belongs in a Sony movie where they have to build something for him.

Sure, Parker can pop up in Infinity War, but he’s not going to be leading the team or anything. Sure, Parker COULD pop up on the Netflix shows - but the Netflix shows might not need Spider-Man swinging around. It actually makes more sense to use Daredevil in a Spider-Man movie as the mentor who tells him he’s in over his head. Or to have whatever version of Captain America is around pop in and tell the “kid” to stand down.

Those aren’t things Marvel is concerned with. They’re more concerned with who that Captain America is and what’s happening in space and how all those MacGuffins get to Earth.

So even though Spider-Man is back at Marvel, sort of, the cooler Spider-Man things are still going to be happening over at Sony.

-----------------------

so my assumption is correct he'll pop in but him joining the Avengers, being a major player is not going to happen.

Also Kevin Feige was a executive producer on the first ASM. I'm not sure how much of a voice he had on the first one, or what he'll have to say on the next one, but I'm keeping expectations low

I know people want "Disney" magic to occur, I'm just not certain this deal has it.

A very interesting article came out today concerning the Sony-Disney deal. Some rehash of what we know already, and some hints at Spider-Man in the larger Marvel Studios franchise.

Why Sony Corp Is Sharing Spider-Man With Walt Disney

-----------------------

The impetus for this deal can be traced back to the 2014 failure of Amazing Spider-Man 2. While it might seem odd to classify a film that grossed approximately $709 million globally as a dud, a lot was riding on the picture, and its performance came in well below expectations. The production and marketing budget was reported to be in the neighborhood of $400 million, so the movie failed to generate meaningful returns and complicated plans to launch subsequent films in the Amazing franchise.

-----------------------

That makes more sense how much Sony invested in ASM2, and why they needed the final box office to be $1 billion or greater.

-----------------------

With Spider-Man joining the MCU, Disney can now take full advantage of the film merchandising rights it purchased from Sony in 2011 and better incorporate the characters in its theme parks. The deal also brings one of the biggest heroes into the MCU fold and almost certainly raises the box office draw for the films in which he appears. Disney delayed four of its Marvel films following the deal in order to better incorporate the webhead.

-----------------------

There's part of the bigger Disney benefit. Not only the draw of having Spidey in at least five movies (including Civil War). But also the merchandising that accompanies each of these movies with regards to Spider-Man.

-----------------------

Similar to Sony, Fox retains the rights to produce films based on the Fantastic Four and X-Men series so long as it releases movies within the designated time frame. Marvel had already discontinued Fantastic Four comics and barred writers from creating new characters in the X-Men comic book series.

Disney had also opted not to create toys to tie-in with the summer hit, X-Men: Days of Future Past, and the ban on new characters in the comic book property have been described as an attempt to divert fanfare to Marvel's similarly mutant-based Inhumans series and its 2018 film adaptation.

-----------------------

And now any excitement over Fox-based Marvel movies can be countered even further with the larger involvement of the Spider Universe and Marvel-owned properties combined.

I'm not sure that the Lego's have anything to do with Marvel though?

Does anyone find it odd that Lego can make both Marvel and DC toys? I think it's awesome because my son is running around with Lego Spider-Man, Superman, Green Lantern, and Captain America. I have a blast making Super Captain America with a lightsaber though (thumbs u

lol Dom Fera is great. He's done a number of awesome short films like that.

It was actually a nice nod to how Marvel could insert Peter into Agent of Shield to liven things up.

If you think about it, that's all it would need. How cool would it be if Season 3 had Spidey as a sub-plot, and this would be the last scene in the first episode. The end of the season could then theoretically lead into Civil War (which would make a lot of sense, especially if they give him a whole season of development to give context) and would open the door to slowly introduce the Punisher and integrate DD and Cage.

Sony needed that Spidey deal with Disney more than it would care to admit.

Sony outlines 3-year recovery plan, targets $4.2B earnings

--------------------

Money-losing Sony will spin off its video-and-sound business into a separate company and shrink its headquarters as part of a three-year turnaround plan to speed up decision-making and become profitable again.

The company is targeting an operating profit of 500 billion yen ($4.2 billion) and a 10 percent return on equity for the fiscal year through March 2018, but it won't target sales, highlighting its new approach of valuing profitability and not going after size.

--------------------

Was this about ASM2?

--------------------

"The Sony spirit is about doing what others didn't dare to do" Chief Executive Kazuo Hirai said Wednesday in outlining the company's strategy.

--------------------

:insane:

And for right now, no - Sony is not selling off its movie division.

--------------------

Sony said it still sees its film division as a driver of growth. It has said it does not expect long-term damage from the cyberattack that became public in December, over a Sony Pictures movie called "The Interview" which spoofs an assassination of North Korean leader Kim Jong Un.

--------------------

But I wonder if Disney offers further help to take over more of Spider-Man, in addition to Men In Black and other franchises. Especially since Marvel owns the comic book rights to MIB.

Stupid jerks (not really, I'm super excited about this) but Sinister Six was supposed to shoot here in Vancouver (the studio was apparently confirmed) and 1 week after this deal was announced - boom: Postponed "indefinitely" <- that's in reference to it shooting here. I have no idea if it's still in production, etc. I thought I should clarify that.

Bah

Uh-ohhhh.

Tom Rothman Takes Over At SONY - What Could This Mean For SPIDER-MAN?

---------------------

Rothman ran Fox back when the likes of Daredevil, Elektra and the previous Fantastic Four movies were released. He fast-tracked X-Men: The Last Stand, forcing Bryan Singer to abandon the project, and then placed Brett Ratner at the helm. Word is he also micromanaged X-Men: Origins: Wolverine into such a mess that the film wasn't even recognizable to its director, Gavin Hood. Some say Rothman dislikes comic book movies in general, only having a hand in producing the ones he did because of how lucrative they are, and is allegedly one of the main reasons there is such bad blood between Fox and Marvel Studios these days.

---------------------

I don't know how accurate the Bryan Singer comment is. I thought he had departed to kick off the Superman franchise because it was another comic book 'dream come true' for him to direct.

I don't know how accurate the Bryan Singer comment is. I thought he had departed to kick off the Superman franchise because it was another comic book 'dream come true' for him to direct.

From what I understand, it was a mix of the two. They were pushing him to finish X3 quicker than he wanted to in order to do it properly and then he was offered Superman Returns and was like ... "And hard decision made easy, see ya X-Men."