• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Box got beat up

45 posts in this topic

I don't know if this is the right place to post this or if I should start a separate thread. The photos are of a package of cgc books I bought from eBay. The seller has posted to the boards but not in quite sometime. I do not want to mention the name. I was wondering if people here would be concerned by the condition of the package when it arrived. Only $100 in books . The books were not damaged but I took the photos preemptively just in case. Should I avoid the seller in the future just based on the box?

21eapts.jpg

35c1pp4.jpg

rk9b0x.jpg

I guess the reason I ask is because as of handling the package I felt like it was just plain luck that the books avoided damage. The side of the box where the tape is shown was almost completely blown out. What I mean is the tape was barely holding. I was happy with the transaction other wise but if I ship I assume some rough handling is inevitable and I pack accordingly. But I see your side because if they were not damaged then the packaging was indeed sufficient. Thanks.

Can you tell if it was a re-used box? Or was it just a box that got pummeled by the PO?

I save materials all the time to reuse, although I wouldn't reuse a box for shipping (other than those awesome CGC shipping boxes that FT uses). If it's a reused box, then that's on the seller.

If it's the PO that did the dirty work, I don't see how you can blame that on the seller.

It looks like the seller taped it up pretty good and made a good effort to package it well.

Can you tell if it was a re-used box? Or was it just a box that got pummeled by the PO?

I save materials all the time to reuse, although I wouldn't reuse a box for shipping (other than those awesome CGC shipping boxes that FT uses). If it's a reused box, then that's on the seller.

If it's the PO that did the dirty work, I don't see how you can blame that on the seller.

It looks like the seller taped it up pretty good and made a good effort to package it well.

That looks like a box that has been used repeatedly.

Kudos for packaging the books to arrive undamaged but reusing a box so many times is just playing with fire.

Frankly, I don't care about the packaging other than it is adequate to get my comics to me undamaged. I buy the comics, not the packaging. Just get my comics safely to me.

I agree,there's no harm in saving a buck,and reusing a box.As long as the contents inside are undamaged,who cares.

Frankly, I don't care about the packaging other than it is adequate to get my comics to me undamaged. I buy the comics, not the packaging. Just get my comics safely to me.

Of course.

Chances are reduced significantly of that happening when a box is reused this many times. The end of the box failed and it doesn't like like anything more than another box was on top of it. Not that it was crushed or caught on a conveyor belt. Just that it has reached the end of its useful life as a box.

I am pretty sure the box was reused at least once because you can see the Amazon prime tape on it. Plus as you can see it is compressed severely because there was empty space inside. It had one layer of bubble wrap on a single cardboard envelope. I do not normally take pictures of packages however.

I have no problem with reusing a box as long as it's structurally sound, but I wouldn't leave significant air space in any box. Pack everything with enough filler ( bubble wrap, peanuts, paper, etc) that the box will resist crushing even if it structurally fails.

IMO single corrugated boxes shouldn't be re-used since they lose their integrity quickly. The only boxes I re-use are the CGC boxes and inserts for large shipments which I think are double corrugated but I would not use more than the one time again because they will lose their integrity as well after multiple uses.

For regular shipments it's always best to pony up the money for new boxes and packing material to ensure the items inside arrive safely.