• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Buying a few comics

27 posts in this topic

What is the best way to display comics on the wall as art? I've never done anything with comics and my primary collection (toned coins) would prevent me from ever taking comics as a serious collection. Still, I'd like to get a few cool covers up on the wall of my office.

Should I go with graded comics or ungraded?

What grades would you stick with for displaying them as wall art?

Where is the best place online to buy?

Is there an accurate free price guide on the internet?

Thanks for the input. I'm looking to get between 10 - 20 covers and mostly from the early silver age so the information is appreciated.

Expensive books shouldn't be displayed as art, as the light will kill the covers over time,

unless you spend a fortune on the proper frames and glass.

I'd suggest you get scans of covers and have posters made of them.

Expensive books shouldn't be displayed as art, as the light will kill the covers over time,

unless you spend a fortune on the proper frames and glass.

I'd suggest you get scans of covers and have posters made of them.

This is the best idea for displaying comics, IMHO.

:)

-slym

Please don't collect comics,it's not really a viable collectible anyway,right! lol

Gotta love coinies. :foryou:

Y'all are taking it too personally. All he probably meant is due to coins taking up the lion's share of his hobby budget, his notion is to dabble in some nice books with striking covers that he appreciates, but doesn't want to get burned, and doesn't want to divert too much interest from his coin pursuits/budget. Nothing wrong with that... he's a sight better than one particular numismatist from ATS who happens to be a colossal DB with regard to comics (but I digress.)

Agreed strongly that, if you're looking purely for office decor, the entire world of rare comics is practically at your fingertips if you have a Heritage subscription. Find a book you like, download scan from their archives, have printed, frame it. Done!

When and if you decide to collect the real deal, you may well wish to display printed scans only. It allows you to enjoy your personal copy of a book, while keeping the actual copy safely tucked in a SDB or whatever. I wouldn't do it any other way. If the scan fades, is accidentally damaged, or stolen, you've lost nothing and incur only the inconvenience of printing it out again.

Good luck!

Please don't collect comics,it's not really a viable collectible anyway,right! lol

Y'all are taking it too personally. All he probably meant is due to coins taking up the lion's share of his hobby budget, his notion is to dabble in some nice books with striking covers that he appreciates, but doesn't want to get burned, and doesn't want to divert too much interest from his coin pursuits/budget. Nothing wrong with that... he's a sight better than one particular numismatist from ATS who happens to be a colossal DB with regard to comics (but I digress.)

Agreed strongly that, if you're looking purely for office decor, the entire world of rare comics is practically at your fingertips if you have a Heritage subscription. Find a book you like, download scan from their archives, have printed, frame it. Done!

When and if you decide to collect the real deal, you may well wish to display printed scans only. It allows you to enjoy your personal copy of a book, while keeping the actual copy safely tucked in a SDB or whatever. I wouldn't do it any other way. If the scan fades, is accidentally damaged, or stolen, you've lost nothing and incur only the inconvenience of printing it out again.

Good luck!

I like the idea and appreciate the advice. You are correct with the way I'm approaching comics, I'd like to have a few classics tucked away because the art is cool. My collecting budget is pretty much all blown on high end coins so the comics collection will be more of a dabbling thing.

I'll probably end up buying a few issues and if I'm only keeping between 10 - 20 should I go with graded or raw?

Good luck!

I like the idea and appreciate the advice. You are correct with the way I'm approaching comics, I'd like to have a few classics tucked away because the art is cool. My collecting budget is pretty much all blown on high end coins so the comics collection will be more of a dabbling thing.

I'll probably end up buying a few issues and if I'm only keeping between 10 - 20 should I go with graded or raw?

All depends on the books you want.

If you are spending some serious money-$250 or more a book, i'd go with graded books because there are simply too many doctored books out there and buying is hard enough when you are experienced. Graded books will also sell easier and for more when they go back on the market.

Also really depends what books you're motivated to buy. Are you looking for books you remember as a kid? Or if you're younger, key early issues from favorite characters? Or are you simply looking for some to "tuck away" presumably for a bit of an investment?

The reason I ask if if its the latter than Shadroch is dead-on, especially for someone without experience. Pick a few key issues (first appearances) of characters you think are cool in the highest grade you can afford and tuck them away.

But if you're looking for particular books from childhood or something and want to be able to read it and you're less concerned with future value, then a nice raw copy would be ok.

Either way, put your coin knowledge to good use. Do research. Don't jump at the first thing you see, and don't go beyond your budget. Another book/coin will come along.

Good luck and Happy Holidays!

Also really depends what books you're motivated to buy. Are you looking for books you remember as a kid? Or if you're younger, key early issues from favorite characters? Or are you simply looking for some to "tuck away" presumably for a bit of an investment?

The reason I ask if if its the latter than Shadroch is dead-on, especially for someone without experience. Pick a few key issues (first appearances) of characters you think are cool in the highest grade you can afford and tuck them away.

But if you're looking for particular books from childhood or something and want to be able to read it and you're less concerned with future value, then a nice raw copy would be ok.

Either way, put your coin knowledge to good use. Do research. Don't jump at the first thing you see, and don't go beyond your budget. Another book/coin will come along.

Good luck and Happy Holidays!

This is wise advice. Another book or coin (with few exceptions) will always come along, so no need to rush! :)

If you are spending some serious money-$250 or more a book, i'd go with graded books because there are simply too many doctored books out there and buying is hard enough when you are experienced. Graded books will also sell easier and for more when they go back on the market.

This. :) Since you're a self-described dabbler, for relatively expensive books stick with blue-label slabs to guarantee yourself protection against "most" messed-with books. No one's perfect of course, but just as in coins, a reputable slab with help you avoid 95% of the dreck out there. :) Good luck!

And if you want to actually display the comics there are frames out there with UV or even Museum Glass. As long as they don't get direct sunlight and you use some kind of UV blocking glass you can display them without too much worry.

Disclaimer. If you have the same comics on display for too long (a few years? 100 years?) even with UV protection they may fade a little.

I have a few comic lock's mounted at my house and they look fantastic! I personally do not put my higher end books in them, but if you feel confident and comfortable that they will be in a spot where sunlight is not an issue, they should be fine.

I love the art and think they look awesome on the wall. Right now I have an ASM 120 and Iron Man 9 up. Not overly expensive books, but I love them. Check out comiclock.com...they're not cheap, but it's a really nice product!