• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How bad of a hit is this tape repair?

25 posts in this topic

Purchased a book from an online seller. It was advertised as a 6.5, but with close examination, I noticed there was tape repair with one of the staples. Looks like it was applied under the staple so the cover can stay attached to the rest of the book.

151867.jpg.bff9c9918607f6d2a361f7f396d58bb8.jpg

This is the seller's pic. Not at home so I can't scan it. I personally don't think it's a 6.5, but assuming it's a 6.0 or whatever, is there a standard hit that I would expect? It's a bit of a pain for me to go back to the post office to ship this back so I'm trying to estimate what would a fair percentage to ask for as far as a partial refund.

151869.jpg.a28c970855568806b63ff70c38c6d08e.jpg

Nope. Never mentioned it in the description. It's hard to spot so I wouldn't be surprised if the seller missed it. Didn't see it myself at first until I examined the back cover and it looked like it was barely attached. Then I examined it from the front and that was when I noticed the slight glare from the tape. Looking at with a magnifying glass confirmed it.

Not sure how they would hit this or if they would go as low as 4.5?

Does any know if it makes a difference to CGC if the tape is on the outside or inside as far as grade is concerned?

Well, that's my baseline then. I'll ask for the difference between these grades. It's not so much the money, but the hassle of sending it back. It's intended to be a reader anyway. Thx, folks.

Not sure how they would hit this or if they would go as low as 4.5?

Does any know if it makes a difference to CGC if the tape is on the outside or inside as far as grade is concerned?

I called CGC a couple weeks ago and asked about the use of tape, both archival and scotch. I have a TTA 44 with a piece of archival tape on the exterior back covert that I was considering sending in. The response from customer service was exactly what I noted above. This is different from an earlier thread in the resto forum, which claimed archival tape was conservation.

Interestingly enough, another grading company that had previously published grading standards stating archival tape was "industry standard" has removed this wording from their published standards and recently gave a restored grade to an ASM Annual #1 that had a spine split sealed on the interior of the cover with archival tape. This book is listed on Ebay and is graded Restored 4.0.

I have noticed that as soon as CGC made the announcement that they would now be treating tape differently, many CGC books with tape immediately went up for sale. Unfortunately, the existing grade is no longer applicable. I may buy a nice book with a small tape stain, but I avoid any book with the tape still on it. Too much hassle, too many unknowns.

I have noticed that as soon as CGC made the announcement that they would now be treating tape differently, many CGC books with tape immediately went up for sale. Unfortunately, the existing grade is no longer applicable. I may buy a nice book with a small tape stain, but I avoid any book with the tape still on it. Too much hassle, too many unknowns.

This is actually not true. All previously graded books retain their grades. CGC states as much on their site. See last paragraph:

http://www.cgccomics.com/news/viewarticle.aspx?IDArticle=3327&CGC-Modifies-Stance-on-Grading-Submissions-with-Tape

Further, depending on the grade, the presence of tape may not have further negatively impacted the overall grade at all. (thumbs u

-J.

This is actually not true. All previously graded books retain their grades. CGC states as much on their site. See last paragraph:

http://www.cgccomics.com/news/viewarticle.aspx?IDArticle=3327&CGC-Modifies-Stance-on-Grading-Submissions-with-Tape

Further, depending on the grade, the presence of tape may not have further negatively impacted the overall grade at all. (thumbs u

-J.

Yes, the previously graded books retain their grade as long as they stay in the original slab. That is obvious. But I would not want to buy a book knowing the grade would not hold up on a resub.

I also concur that, depending on what the tape was used for, it may not affect the grade at all. However, books with a detached cover, detached staple, etc. where the tape is actually holding the book together in some fashion will be affected. The example in this thread would be treated as a detached staple with a negative effect on the grade.

So, if there is a tape repair (be it plastic tape or paper/archival material), wouldn’t it be now treated as if the staple is still detached? I thought so… hm

Yes, FYI, from the original CGC announcement.

Currently, CGC’s stance on tape allows for its presence to fix a detached cover, a tear or to re-attach a piece of the comic. This would still allow the book to receive a Universal Label and even a possible grade increase from what the book would have been had tape not been present.

After consideration of the expressed views of the community and assessment of the practice, beginning with submissions postmarked after May 3, 2013, CGC will modify its grading standard and ignore the presence of tape if it serves a function (such as fixing a tear or spine split) and instead grade the book as if it was not present. Therefore, any existing defect will be graded accordingly. If the tape does not serve a function, the tape will be treated as a defect and the book will be downgraded. By doing this, books will still receive a Universal Label but the grade will better reflect the actual condition of the comic book.

Thanks Bob: so as far as it’s a minor repair it doesn’t matter if it’s plastic tape or a conservative repair, less damaging for the book?

Good question, not sure. In the case of a detached staple, the damage is done = it won't get worse, so I can't see how it could be considered conservation.

Using archival tape will always get you a purple label. Be it restored or "conserved" (really, just another way of saying "restored"). (thumbs u

-J.

So just to be clear. You are saying Scotch tape isn't restorative but archival is?

What CGC says (not me) is that scotch tape is a "defect" and archival tape is restorative.

And there is a certain logic to that.

-J.