• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How bad of a hit is this tape repair?

25 posts in this topic

Using archival tape will always get you a purple label. Be it restored or "conserved" (really, just another way of saying "restored"). (thumbs u

-J.

So just to be clear. You are saying Scotch tape isn't restorative but archival is?

What CGC says (not me) is that scotch tape is a "defect" and archival tape is restorative.

And there is a certain logic to that.

-J.

I agree that is what the 8/2014 release says, but I received different info last week. I still have yet to see a single book ever go purple with archival tape alone. Maybe this week it's something different. (shrug)

I'd wager the current stance is consistent with Bomber-Bobs assessment, as well as what was forwarded to me. Tape is no longer a bump, but its noted and graded according to the defect the tape repaired. I don't believe the type of tape matters.

Of course if someone could produce the aforementioned example. I could be persuaded. :rulez:

Check out this link. As always there is no absolute answer.

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=8104089&fpart=1

But in order to make sure you don't get a PLOD with tape the answer seems to be to just go scotch.

-J.

The document repair tape referenced in your link is archival, Jaydog. It's what's on the back of the TTA 44 I brought up earlier.

You've scored some great books this year btw. Cap 1= (worship) Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you, Sir.

Check out this link. As always there is no absolute answer.

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=8104089&fpart=1

But in order to make sure you don't get a PLOD with tape the answer seems to be to just go scotch.

-J.

The document repair tape referenced in your link is archival, Jaydog. It's what's on the back of the TTA 44 I brought up earlier.

You've scored some great books this year btw. Cap 1= (worship) Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you, Sir.

Yes but did you notice where Gemma stated that it can be indistinguishable from rice paper? That's the problem with it. Ultimately the graders make the call.

And thank you very much Blaze. Definitely glad to have pulled the trigger on the cap 1. It will probably sideline my buying for a spell though. lol But well worth it. Shout out to Greg Reece for convincing Heritage to release the book back to him out of consignment so I could buy direct. :cloud9:

Happy holidays to you as well! And all the other regulars in the PGM section. (thumbs u

-J.

Thanks everyone but I find this pretty absurd: why should I use plastic tape, which damages the book, when I can have a more appropriate repair with archival tape or rice paper?

I am speaking of a simple staple detachment, not extensive taping/reparing.

Either the CGC standards make little sense here, or the stigma which generated around minor "restoration" makes no sense (I am inclined to the second, as I still have to understand why an effectively restored book should be treated the same way as minor color touch or minor tape repairs).

(Just in case: personally I could not care less, as I do not mean to slab books that have to remain in my collection, but obviously that stigma influences the market in a way that is not shared by everyone).

Merry Christmas to you as well! (wow! a Cap #1?) :)