• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How many comics have you read?

49 posts in this topic

I did a quick calculation and figure over the last 45+ years I've probably read north of 10,000 comics - not a huge amount averaged out, there was along period where I read barely any at all, and currently I read maybe 2 to 3 a week on average. When I was a kid there was a brief period where I bought 60 or more books a month off the stands, and picked up back issues at cons as well, but I figure the average has been 200-250 a year including hardbacks, trades and vintage pickups.

If you figure 10 minutes apiece thats still 1600+ ours of reading. Add in the great amount of hours spent on these boards in the last decade and combing through ebay listings the last 15 and that's a lot of time spent on comics. No doubt there is something far more productive I could have been doing :(

So let us know how many you think you've read.

Well, 1700+ this year alone, I worked at my LCS off & on for a while and read more than half of all the new stuff that would come out every week, I also worked at a newsstand for 4 years and read 90% of the new stuff there...

I'd guess between 20000 & 25000 over my lifetime.

:)

-slym

I don't know, I'm thinking possibly around 5000

When I was a kid I read every comic I bought of course. My collection remained mostly intact, except for my digests which I threw away and my mag sized comics which just disappeared over the years. And then a handful I sold off in 2003 while being an insufficiently_thoughtful_person.

So in 2008 when I dug the collection back up with the intention of selling off the last of it, I got hooked on comics again. I had to finish those stories that I was missing one or two issues of. Then I had to finish those short runs. Then I had to buy those full runs I always wanted. Then I wound up here. So the original collection in 2008 was under 1000 issues, I figure 300-400 could have been lost over time. 500 max. Also I used to check comics out at the library as a kid, but not terribly often. So I'd say I was at 1300-1400 comics in 2008. I read 1000 this year alone, but I think I did closer to 600 last year, which would have been typical for the past several years. So I'm thinking about 5000-5500 total lifetime comics read.

I can't imagine the amount of comics I have read in the past 3 years. After I stopped collecting for 15 years, I went back and got all of the back issues of all of my favorite characters and then picked up anything and everything that people said were good reads. I don't know if I will ever catch up.

Tough question, because my reading has fluctuated widely over 40 years, possibly a couple of hundred as a yearly maximum down to practically nothing since 2010.

Best estimate - 5000?

Very tough question. I've been reading since I was 7 or 8 years old.

I never kept track of how many I read. The bigger question is how many story lines do you remember?

+1

I think the oldest legit storylines I can remember Moon Knight fighting WWBN in the MK series, and most of the FM Daredevil issues. I read a lot of MOKF at the time (1983/1984), but can't recall any stand-out stories. Those were when I was in my teens - I remember reading Rom, Battlestar and Star Wars when I was a kid, but couldn't tell you which issues I read.