• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How many comics have you read?

49 posts in this topic

Yea I started reading when I was 7 or 8 too. I never really had a break in my reading. Does re-reading books count too? I re-read a ton of stuff. I did the 1000 comics challenge a year ago and hit it in stride in August or something. I pushed myself a bit, but it wasn't all that unusual.

Lately, I've been doing a yearly re-reading of Ultimate Spider-Man and Invincible from start to finish. I've also re-read TWD a few times. I re-read the McFarlane Spidey run pretty regularly, and parts of the JMS' ASM run pretty often.

I'm thinking for Christmas break I might re-read the Hobgoblin era unless someone has a better suggestion? hm

Does re-reading books count too? I re-read a ton of stuff.

Man, no kidding. I love re-reading. I've read the Uncanny 94-300 run probably 10 times in my life - or at least 10 times in the past 20 years. I love that run. Even read it when I didn't collect comics.

Factoring in the lulls over the years I'd conservatively guess 10,000. This wouldn't include tpb's or stuff like Archie digests as I wouldn't know how to count those. Then there's the 17,000+ Peanuts strips, Mad's and the collections of Hi & Lois, Doonesbury, Hagar, Calvin, Dilbert, Blondie, etc. that would add to the total.

Well, I've read pretty much every single one I own.... so I guess if I had the time to count the 10 or so long boxes, plus 25 or so half boxes, and all the trades on my shelf then I'd have a pretty accurate figure actually.

I just turned sixty this year. I've been reading comics since I was 5 or 6, I broke the code early and have ben an avid reader (of everything, not just comics) ever since.

If you figure an average of just one comic a day for 55 years that's just over 20,000. I'm going to say I probably averaged two a day or better, so make it 40,000 minimum.

Many of those are repeats though, as I revisit old favorites, everything from 40's WDC&S to 50's Superman to 60's Fantastic Four to 70's Swamp Thing to 80's Cerebus to 90's Astro City to 2000's Ultimate titles and Walking Dead.

I finished off my Strange Tales run from 100 through 168 a while back, plus my Doom Patrol run from MGA 80 through the end, I believe I'll pull those out some time after the first of the year, so add another 100+ reruns for January.

I don't watch sports, so I have plenty of down time in the winter, lol

Well, I've read pretty much every single one I own.... so I guess if I had the time to count the 10 or so long boxes, plus 25 or so half boxes, and all the trades on my shelf then I'd have a pretty accurate figure actually.

Well here is what you need to know to see how many you have!

Long box, old style that was thicker, one comic per bag and board, 211 comics, 38.24 lbs.

Long box, new style that is thinner, 2 comics per bag/board, 348 comics, 60.25 lbs.

Long box, new style, 2 per, 353 comics, 59.04 lbs.

Magazine box, one comic per mylar bag and board, 148 comics, 31.79 lbs.

CGC box, one slab with mylar sleeve, 33 books, 31.9 lbs

How many people here have actually read all the comics they own? There was a time I could say I read every one I had, even when they numbered in the thousands.

I read every comic I buy-- some closer than others, but I read them all.

How many people here have actually read all the comics they own? There was a time I could say I read every one I had, even when they numbered in the thousands.

Same for me, really.

I kept up with reading all of my comics purchases for many years, but eventually I started accumulating more and more unread material, which was one very good reason to break the cycle of going to the LCS each week.

If it makes the cut for my collection then I've read it. (Or, with recent acquisitions, I intend to read it. I have a small stack of 40's and 50's Actions I haven't savored yet.)

Nearly all of them I've read multiple times.

My actual collection of comics (As opposed to Trades/Masterworks/Archives) is probably less than 6000 books, my true favorites.

Buying collections and accumulations, and dumping the stuff I don't want, however, has given me access to thousands more books, many of which I'll sample if I haven't read them before.

I just picked up a big ol' stack of Jingle Jangle, a title chock full of truly delightful and plain out bizarre stories, which I first read about in All In Color For A Dime.

This title might just make the cut for my permanent collection.

Factoring in the lulls over the years I'd conservatively guess 10,000. This wouldn't include tpb's or stuff like Archie digests as I wouldn't know how to count those. Then there's the 17,000+ Peanuts strips, Mad's and the collections of Hi & Lois, Doonesbury, Hagar, Calvin, Dilbert, Blondie, etc. that would add to the total.

Newspaper strip reprints! If you add in all the adventure and humor strip reprints I have accumulated over the years I'm probably approaching 100K.

On the bookshelves, part of the permanent collection are Tracy, Modesty Blaise, Gasoline Alley, Bloom County, Alley Oop, Thimble Theater (Popeye), Terry and the Pirates,, Calvin and Hobbes, Steve Canyon, Prince Valiant, The Far Side, Little Orphan Annie. and a nearly complete run of Comics Revue with even more strips.

Y'know, if I was illiterate I'd probably be rich by now, lol

:hi:

Except for a very small number that I bought for flipping purposes (and even some of those!), I have read everything I've ever bought.

We are talking less than 40 books, and those are all very recent moderns. I have also read far more than I have ever owned - like I mentioned above, working at my LCS off & on, and working/managing a newsstand back in the 1990's for almost 5 years, I got to read many, many comics that I have never bought.

-slym

Does re-reading books count too? I re-read a ton of stuff.

Man, no kidding. I love re-reading. I've read the Uncanny 94-300 run probably 10 times in my life - or at least 10 times in the past 20 years. I love that run. Even read it when I didn't collect comics.

I have boxes of books I intend to re-read, but I rarely seem to get around to it. Most of my rereading involves rebuying something I used to own decades ago, or picking up a hardback that has material I've read before.

I read everything I buy, with the exception of some slabbed books I've bought to flip, though with some of the books from the 40s and 50s I've bought mainly for the covers, skimming more than reading may be the more accurate description.

Interesting question... I have no idea how much I read when I was a kid, but I do have an idea how much I've read since I've joined these boards

The last 4 years have been quite good...nearly 10,000 comics since 2011

2014 : 2226 comics read

2013 : 2563 comics read

2012 : 2500 comics read

2011 : 2245 comics read

But before that it's a wasteland. Between 2002 (when I joined these boards) and 2010 (when I completed my collection) I bought about 15000 comics and read maybe 1/3 of them...I just didn't have time to read I needed to complete, complete and complete.

The last 4 years I have been catching up and I think I've now read over half of my collection.

So that's

10000 comics in the last 4 years

5000 comics in the 10 years preceding that.

So let's say 15000 comics since joining these boards.