• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Art day! Happy Holidays to All!!

5 posts in this topic

IMHO I thought the story was a befitting end to a historic character granted he won't be gone for long! Art was amazing on this series and since the Hulk 180 page will never ever be in my price range, I had to have a memorable character story point with this. I had asked Steve his process for this cover here is his response.

"For that cover I drew a rough the size of the printed cover, then lightboxed it on an 11 x 17 board using a b pencil, tightening up the piece and added details. Then I fed exed it over to Jay for inking.

For a good deal of the interior work I drew each panel of a particular page on photocopy paper, scanned them in and composited the final page in photoshop, adding details and adjusting stuff as needed. Then I put the file in dropbox for Jay to print out and ink.

The only real difference between the two methods is that I dont have to deal with shipping pages constantly to Jay and he doesnt have to wait for customs to process them before he can get to work. Covers are usually done , in my case at least, far before interiors so shipping concerns are not as worrisome.

There is big convoluted, but interesting discussion about the selling of original art and how it is changed by digital art and similar methods to what Jay and I have cooked up, but that is for another day. The only thing I would say on that topic here is that I have always followed a personal rule to never rely on the money I receive from selling original art. I want to make my living telling stories."

Happy Holidays to all and all the best in the New Year!!

DoWcover.jpg

Very cool, congrats!

What appears to be left unsaid (but perhaps implied) is that the exception for the cover (penciled/inked on the same board) vs. the interiors is a concession to the original art market. McNiven may not want to rely on OA sales as income (smart!)...but he is obviously aware of the difference in potential value between cover method and interior method.

I really appreciated you passing along his production methods along with posting the piece. It is always fascinating to hear how different creative teams are using various methods to find the most effective working methods for themselves. It does point towards that chewing at the corners that the original art market has seen happening since most stopped lettering directly on the pages in the 90s. With so many folks going so many different ways, it will be harder and harder to keep track of unless one follows closely and asks questions.

Oh, and Nifty piece.!