• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Barry Smith Prints

9 posts in this topic

Hey guys, I received a call over the holidays from a person I used to buy from quite regularly many years ago. He's retired, and comes into material every so often.

He recently came into a collection of Barry Smith prints from an original owner collection that appear to date back to the 70's.

The prints are numbered, none higher than 1000, and as low as 30.

At this stage, I figured I would help him put the word out, and don't know if posting this in the OA section would be a good idea as they are prints.

Seeing it's mostly Barry Smith stuff, I though I'd post it in CG as I know there's quite a few admirers here on these boards of his art (me included).

I have a few photo samples, beginning with two portfolios (numbered to 610, both first and second editions) and a few other of both the black and white, as well as coloured prints. There is more than what I'm sharing.

Basing it on past sales data, the values on the low numbered stuff, and portfolios seems to be in the several thousands of dollars.

If anyone has any idea on how best to move these pieces, or is interested in any, let me know. I am really only interested in helping this gentleman. Again, he's retired, and is not at all computer savvy:

8b634db7-4ac3-4558-9cf0-971982eca7fe_zps7a1c5976.jpg

1) First edition. Numbered 610. Comes with original cardboard shipping sleeve also numbered 610. Will Eisner, Wallace Wood, John Severin, Harvey Kurtzman, Jack Kirby, Barry Smith, etc.

2) Second edition. Numbered 610. Comes with original cardboard shipping sleeve also numbered 610. Berni Wrightson, Gil Kane, Neil Adams, etc.

---

The Four Ages (has both colour and b&w)

cc695582-16da-405e-b0fe-4e30ac3d7092_zps6a2620c5.jpg

2) Colour - numbered 18/30.

2a) Second edition b&w set.

---

ic waes (again has both colour and b&w)

5a1cf16d-cc63-410c-b0cf-9c2697d10b33_zpsca5a7c9b.jpg

3) Numbered 14/50

----

The Gorblimey Press

Catalogue 1975-1976

A Retrosptective

5a4f59b9-04c6-4a5d-b0ef-f99830531b63_zps5b29b518.jpg

I remember when Barry started selling those hand-colored prints at NY cons, I always wanted them but couldn't afford the price, so I bought the B&W ones. I have the 4 ages, not my original set however, and had the Horseman, and also the GBP catalog. But seeing these now, I definitely get the urge to have them again. Beautiful! Good luck with them!

The NCS 1st Edition had most, if not all prints signed by its creators, and individual prints can sell anywhere from $15 - $75, depending on the artist.

The NCS 2nd Edition isn't as valuable. I don't recall if the prints were signed or not, but if not, then that would be the reason why

Something Ic was, I believe is hand-colored and as such, can go for several hundred dollars. Heritage sold one in 2012 for over $500

The Gorblimey Press catalogue can be found for $10 - $15. Its interesting to flip through and look at what Barry was offering for sale, but it really doesn't have much collectability, hence the low value.