• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Can you believe ha.com does this? Really?

64 posts in this topic

I recently (earlier today) went to ha.com and pressed the "buy now" button on a book I've wanted for some time... I was very excited to see it on ha.com at the "buy now" price...

... and guess what happened....

I was told by ha.com that "buy now" does not secure a purchase...

... "buy now" is only an offer made to owner, and the owner can accept or reject the "buy now" price, and I have to wait up to 72 hours to see what the owner wants to do (which can include not replying at all).

That is the one of the single worst policies I've seen on the Internet, never mind on a comic site -- since when is "buy now" not a buy?

Thoughts?

(P.S. This is first post I've started that expresses my frustration about an issue or site - but this was just too much for me not to express my dismay.)

I would never want to buy things with a policy like that. It would tie up your money for three days not knowing if you own the book and should pass on buying the book somewhere else if it comes available.

Welcome to purchasing things off of ComicConnect, ComicLink and Heritage. They all pretty much operate the same way with consignments.

I recently waited over a day to know that the person agreed to my offer price for a book on CLink and then even then it is not a done deal. The seller has to send the book to CLink for them to inspect and then CLink sends it out to me.

At any point the deal could be cancelled.

Welcome to purchasing things off of ComicConnect, ComicLink and Heritage. They all pretty much operate the same way with consignments.

I recently waited over a day to know that the person agreed to my offer price for a book on CLink and then even then it is not a done deal. The seller has to send the book to CLink for them to inspect and then CLink sends it out to me.

^^

I've paid full ask on Comiclink and been denied also. I guess this is standard practice.

Right.

And I think the potential waiting period on CLink is five days.

If a book gets hot all of a sudden the sellers are evidently under no obligation to honour the buy it now price. All they need to do is tell the auction site the book is no longer available and to remove the listing, and they will suffer no penalty. That has also happened to me once. But I've also had a few successful ones as well.

-J.

The button you clicked said "buy it now" ??

I thought it was "make an offer".

There are 2 buttons on some books - "buy now" and "make an offer". I used the "buy now" button...

which I learned does not mean what it means on almost every other site on the Internet...

The button you clicked said "buy it now" ??

I thought it was "make an offer".

There are 2 buttons on some books - "buy now" and "make an offer". I used the "buy now" button...

which I learned does not mean what it means on almost every other site on the Internet...

It's just legalese so that they are not liable if the actual seller / owner of the book does not follow through.

Probably better than stating that it will actually happen and then doesn't.

Seems unfair but in most cases I'm sure the deal will follow through and for those that don't, what recourse would you have? Suing Heritage?

Yeah, that's pretty ridiculous. There is no "offer."

The listed price was accepted. They should list it for the price they're willing to sell for rather than counteroffer at.

There is a small percentage of sellers out there who will list a book at a price and if it sells too quickly, they will pull the sale and relist.

It's unethical in my opinion but that doesn't stop people from doing it.

MCS only lists books it has in hand. Yet another reason I go to them first.
I know this board suffers from an inordinate amount of people crying foul about something MCS apparently did to them, but in my experience, they are a top shelf organization and it bears repeating.

I recently (earlier today) went to ha.com and pressed the "buy now" button on a book I've wanted for some time... I was very excited to see it on ha.com at the "buy now" price...

... and guess what happened....

I was told by ha.com that "buy now" does not secure a purchase...

... "buy now" is only an offer made to owner, and the owner can accept or reject the "buy now" price, and I have to wait up to 72 hours to see what the owner wants to do (which can include not replying at all).

That is the one of the single worst policies I've seen on the Internet, never mind on a comic site -- since when is "buy now" not a buy?

Thoughts?

(P.S. This is first post I've started that expresses my frustration about an issue or site - but this was just too much for me not to express my dismay.)

thanks for posting I thought I was the only one that felt this way. I've had to stop making purchases at Comiclink and HA.

Comiclink is full of a few sellers (you asshats know who you are) that list comics they don't intend on selling to meet the clink quota and mess around with GPA's.. straight up criminal.

comiclink just ended up being a huge waste of my time..

bout as bad as the dealers out there that break 7.0 slabs and mark the books as 8.0 raw knowing they will get more.

or dealers and sellers that don't disclose printer creased cgc 9.0's and higher...

or shillers helping out the big sellers on evilbay

If it wasnt for good dealers like Bob Storms, Dale Roberts and Metropolis (and so many of you guys here) this hobby would be a nightmare!

A few years ago, I reluctantly bought from Comiclink for the first time because they had a key book that I wanted. I pressed the Buy it Now button and because the shipping to the UK was expensive, I bought another couple of books to divide the shipping costs between. Got my order confirmation and figured tha all was well.

A while later, got the bill for the books, the one book tha I really wanted was unavailable and I was being charged for the other couple of lesser books. Tried emailing to explain that I only really wanted the unavailable book but didn't get a reply so in the end, I just paid for the others and forgot about it.

Then a couple of weeks later. I got an email from Comiclink that the other book was available should I wish to go ahead with the purchase. I emailed and got a brief unapologetic reply that the owner of the book had been on holiday and unreachable when I'd tried to buy it.

What a bloody stupid system. I was only giving Clink a try against my better judgement, lesson learnt.

I know this board suffers from an inordinate amount of people crying foul about something MCS apparently did to them, but in my experience, they are a top shelf organization and it bears repeating.

+1 I never had any problems with MCS.