• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What Info do you put in your Excel databases?

16 posts in this topic

Hey all.

I was just wondering what kind of information everyone puts in their database if you use Excel?

How do you separate all your titles? Or do you?

I use Excel and have my own, just curious how the rest of you do it?

I have the titles on individual sheets.

Issue numbers on the left. A cell to the right for the grade. Additional copies to the right of that, etc.

Makes it easy to print out a checklist when you're shopping. You can see which issues you need, or see the grade if you find an upgrade. headbang.gif

Issue numbers on the left. A cell to the right for the grade. Additional copies to the right of that, etc.

Makes it easy to print out a checklist when you're shopping. You can see which issues you need, or see the grade if you find an upgrade. headbang.gif

Sounds good. Right now I have my DC runs, Marvel runs, and SA and Modern keys on separate pages. I only separate my titles by starting a new bordered group (hard to explain in words), and going from left to right, I give Issue No., Condition, Notes (1st appearances, etc.), and FMV from 3 sources.

893scratchchin-thumb.gif That's interesting. If you have left the Grade blank, does that mean it's a 9.4?

Blank means I don't have it.

sorry.gif

OH gotcha. You'll get em, I know you will thumbsup2.gif

Lots of holes to fill. But ones I have are pretty darn nice. thumbsup2.gif

I do kind of the same thing, but also have a cell further to the right to indicate pedigree status (if any). Also, I color code the issue numbers to indicate grade (just easier for me to look quickly and determine grade, even though the grade is in the cell next to the issue number)

Sounds good. Right now I have my DC runs, Marvel runs, and SA and Modern keys on separate pages. I only separate my titles by starting a new bordered group (hard to explain in words), and going from left to right, I give Issue No., Condition, Notes (1st appearances, etc.), and FMV from 3 sources.

One thing I added into ComicBase was a space for graders' notes. That way if there's a book that looks NM except for a stain on the back cover, I can note it there. Also, I found two books in my ASM run that were autographed on the first page, and a few more with Mark Jewelers inserts. Those notations also go into the graders' notes field.

And, as mentioned before, I added fields for Page Quality and QP (quality of production, for centering/registration, staple placement, miscut, etc.).

You might also add a field to indicate what you paid for each issue, either for insurance purposes or for when it comes time to sell.

You might also add a field to indicate what you paid for each issue, either for insurance purposes or for when it comes time to sell.

I used to do that in my old Excel databases.

I wished I'd kept it up, but I got lazy.

shy.gif

Why not FMV?

Because FMV fluctuates and is never a solid fact.

The price you paid is the price you paid. If need be, you could figure FMV at a point in time when you needed it.

Why not FMV?

ComicBase calculates that automatically based on the grade and the value of the book in its database (but the prices are not accurate for high grade Spideys -- ASM#50 is something like a $400 book in NM on ComicBase, which is ridiculous -- it's $900 in Overstreet, and even that is way low for an accurately graded NM copy of ASM#50). You could certainly add the information in a separate field if you wanted to, but you'd constantly have to update it. I have a few thousand books, so that would be too much of a headache.

Why not FMV?

ComicBase calculates that automatically based on the grade and the value of the book in its database (but the prices are not accurate for high grade Spideys -- ASM#50 is something like a $400 book in NM on ComicBase, which is ridiculous -- it's $900 in Overstreet, and even that is way low for an accurately graded NM copy of ASM#50). You could certainly add the information in a separate field if you wanted to, but you'd constantly have to update it. I have a few thousand books, so that would be too much of a headache.

Very true, I didn't think about that. I'm only up to about 800 books. And about 150 or so of them would fetch me about 2 cents a piece, if that. I see what you mean, that could be difficult the more books you own.

Why not FMV?

Very true, I didn't think about that. I'm only up to about 800 books. And about 150 or so of them would fetch me about 2 cents a piece, if that. I see what you mean, that could be difficult the more books you own.

The only prices I keep track of are on books over $50. Then I calculate the rest at $1-$3 each for replacement value. That way I always know at least a ballpark of the value.