• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Silver age comics that are heating up
26 26

4,103 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, batmiesta said:

April 7 $565

April 16 $1984  :whatthe:

What's the deal with this book? 

First Contessa Valentina Allegra de Fontaine...she was introduced in last week's episode of Falcon and the Winter Soldier.

It's the MCU money-making machine hard at work again for comic speculators... :smile:

51 minutes ago, silverseeker said:

First Contessa Valentina Allegra de Fontaine...she was introduced in last week's episode of Falcon and the Winter Soldier.

It's the MCU money-making machine hard at work again for comic speculators... :smile:

So SS3 is not a scorching hot can't lose book right now???

13 hours ago, PKJ said:

So SS3 is not a scorching hot can't lose book right now???

exactly. ss3 popped due to the expected appearance of mephisto in wandavision. and its always been a top3 surfer book regardless. of course it dropped after he didnt show up. but even when villains appear in a movie or show, their first appearances rarely hold up longterm. avengers 55 anyone?

no way this book becomes a solid growth book. its a great cover, and steranko, so its a great book. but i'd cash out if its gotten hot cause of some show. that cant last.

12 hours ago, Wolverinex said:
13 hours ago, batmiesta said:

Should I or shouldn't I ? hm

DSC01589.thumb.JPG.9553a31fea17d69235dfc377fe642b62.JPG

Expand  

Yes.  Get a key u want

I'm kind of considering this as well.  If the 4500 that the 9.6 just went for on Heritage is repeatable, that puts it in the same ballpark as a nice mid grade Strange Tales #110.  

On the other hand it would break up my Steranko Strange Tales covers complete set in 9.4/9.6.

As I expected, Batman #181 continues to get more and more frenzy around it without any specific reason or announcment. Even though it was already a key issue, I had it pegged as still being under appreciated overall. Lower grades are seeing much more action as of late, with even a poor 1.8 hitting $332us (and a 3.0 selling for $500us this month as well)

1885455585_ScreenShot2021-04-20at3_47_00PM.thumb.png.fd3bd1880ee5a8084ab4a6b079e6da15.png

On 4/13/2021 at 8:43 AM, Pantodude said:

This is more of a "SA comics that should be heating up" kind of post.  We have seen the massive, long overdue correction with respect to Star Wars comics, and not just Star Wars #1, but EVERY SW key, with no cooling off in sight.   So what about the early Star Trek comic books from Dell/Gold Key in the mid-to-late 1960s?  We have seen decent increases in the low through mid grades since 2019, with too few sales in the higher grades to tell, but is a meteoric rise overdue for early ST issues?       

https://screenrant.com/picard-creator-akiva-goldsman-star-trek-mcu-comparison/:  "Star Trek: Picard creator Akiva Goldsman has compared the Star Trek franchise to the Marvel Cinematic Universe in terms of output. Star Trek is a property that's been running since the original series debuted in 1966. Since its debut, 13 movies and nine television shows taking place in the grander Star Trek universe. The franchise is one of the most popular in American history." 

The articles notes that another Star Trek universe series called Star Trek: Strange New Worlds is in development, which confirms what we already know:  that there are new SW stories continuing to come out with no end in sight.  The article continues, "With shows like Star Trek: Picard,  the Star Trek universe continues expands upon the initial story, ideology, and unique characters Gene Roddenberry created more than half-a-century ago. Aside from Star Trek: Lower Decks and the previously mentioned Strange New Worlds, the franchise is branching out into children's entertainment with the upcoming Nickelodeon animated project, Star Trek: Prodigy.  Needless to say, if there's a limit on the types of story possibilities available for the franchise, they are nowhere near hitting it."   Can that be seriously disputed?

This suggests that at least the original/early Star Trek comics (which debuted in 1967, less than a year after that historic TV series with Shatner and Nimoy first aired) remain extremely undervalued and should heat up ala Star Wars.  There would be a major disconnect if it did not, due to the obvious similarities between SW and ST (large or small screen origins coupled with a substantial and long-running comic book presence and continuing status as behemoths of pop culture).  Like Disney with SW, Viacom/CBS has actively developed the Star Trek franchise over the years, and counting.  Scooby Doo #1 (Gold Key 1970) is another sleeper that comes to mind (massive pop culture presence for 50+ years and counting) but that is early Bronze Age for another thread!  

I like Star Trek discovery, but CBS needs to deliver me a sextuple espresso before each episode. I can't watch it with my wife (and she loves Star Trek) because she falls asleep half way through each episode. Picard we were better at staying awake for.

43 minutes ago, Sauce Dog said:

As I expected, Batman #181 continues to get more and more frenzy around it without any specific reason or announcment. Even though it was already a key issue, I had it pegged as still being under appreciated overall. Lower grades are seeing much more action as of late, with even a poor 1.8 hitting $332us (and a 3.0 selling for $500us this month as well)

1885455585_ScreenShot2021-04-20at3_47_00PM.thumb.png.fd3bd1880ee5a8084ab4a6b079e6da15.png

Poison Ivy and Harley Quinn are officially a non-platonic couple now on the best Marvel or DC show on television.

12 minutes ago, the blob said:

Poison Ivy and Harley Quinn are officially a non-platonic couple now on the best Marvel or DC show on television.

Fact. They are the best thing to happen to the DCU (Harley Quinn was by far the best animated series of any comic property in the last decade)

18 minutes ago, the blob said:

I like Star Trek discovery, but CBS needs to deliver me a sextuple espresso before each episode. I can't watch it with my wife (and she loves Star Trek) because she falls asleep half way through each episode. Picard we were better at staying awake for.

I haven't seen discovery or Picard yet, but certainly will when I get the chance....with my wife (and son) too!.  

25 minutes ago, the blob said:

It took me a few starts and stops before I actually got into ST: Discovery. I enjoy it quite a bit. And I was a fan of Picard from day one.