• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Silver age comics that are heating up
26 26

4,103 posts in this topic

Marvel's anticipated foray into the supernatural/nocturnal might cause DC to attempt to reclaim its status in that genre (remember Swamp Thing?), as by giving long-overdue attention to The Spectre, an anti-hero from the Golden Age that had some success in the SA and BA, too.  All the versions of this dude are omnipotent or nearly so.  Marvel has shown that enduring storylines could revolve around nearly omnipotent characters, even if they are difficult to write.  While it might have been difficult for DC to fit The Spectre in the DCU in the past, DC might finally appreciate the need to play catch-up and go cosmic/supernatural, too.  If so, I hope DC gives The Spectre a go.  Any hint of that might heat The Spectre books up (Showcase #60 and The Spectre #1 in the SA, but also the GA's More Fun Comics #52).  Yup, thinking about this dude because of all the the Moon Knight buzz . . . and the cowl.    

Edited by Pantodude

On 9/1/2021 at 9:12 PM, Sweet Lou 14 said:

Any concern about a book that old being damaged by degradation of the plastic bag?

I did a survey some years ago on the boards as to whether I should send it in for grading or leave it bagged, most thought leaving it bagged was better, so it still is.

Not sure if its getting damaged or not but it was brilliant white and glossy last time I looked at it :) 

On 8/31/2021 at 5:32 PM, Wolverinex said:

unfortunately no one watches that show. the batwoman comics were pretty cool when jh williams was doing them. but the show has been a flop. i'm sure ivy will do better when she appears in one of the batman live action films again.

ASM 11 and 12 were about the same price in mid grade for a long time. Now 11 has left 12 behind with mid grade sales over $700 on eBay. Perhaps either the 9.0 sale has raised all tides, or people are priced out of #3. In this age of keys on fire, 2nd appearances are starting to have their day. 

On 9/4/2021 at 2:54 PM, spracknetch23 said:

ASM 11 and 12 were about the same price in mid grade for a long time. Now 11 has left 12 behind with mid grade sales over $700 on eBay. Perhaps either the 9.0 sale has raised all tides, or people are priced out of #3. In this age of keys on fire, 2nd appearances are starting to have their day. 

Funny how it was always the case of 1st appearance or nothing when it came to characters and their keys. Wish I’d picked up an ASM 11 earlier as I’ve always loved that cover, never really considered that it was a second appearance issue.

On 9/4/2021 at 9:54 AM, spracknetch23 said:

How long are we talking about?  When I set out to put together a high-grade Spidey run about four and a half years ago, #12 was one of the easiest of the early issues to find in 9.4.  #11 is nearly impossible to find in 9.0, much less 9.4.

On 9/4/2021 at 9:54 AM, spracknetch23 said:

ASM #11 has always been harder to find than #12. I bought my copies both in the 90s and I remember well how easier #12 was to find compared to #11. I had several opportunities to buy high grade copies of #12 but only one opportunity to buy a high grade copy of #11 for which I did seriously overpay then (3x the price I paid for my #12!)

On 9/4/2021 at 12:54 PM, pickycollector said:

ASM #11 has always been harder to find than #12. I bought my copies both in the 90s and I remember well how easier #12 was to find compared to #11. I had several opportunities to buy high grade copies of #12 but only one opportunity to buy a high grade copy of #11 for which I did seriously overpay then (3x the price I paid for my #12!)

This is a very true statement. 12 is up there with 19 for access in higher grades.  And as previously stated I would expect 11 to start ascending in price point following the recent sales , it will be very interesting to see where Scott's 9.6 lands.  The person who snagged the curator copy last year must be delighted , as the underbidder on that auction I know that they were ready to pay for whatever it took.

On 9/4/2021 at 3:48 PM, Sweet Lou 14 said:

How long are we talking about?  When I set out to put together a high-grade Spidey run about four and a half years ago, #12 was one of the easiest of the early issues to find in 9.4.  #11 is nearly impossible to find in 9.0, much less 9.4.

I was referring to mid grade. I’ve never seen a #11 4.0 break $700 until now. I agree that the disparity in high grade prices and scarcity has been present for a long time. 

Please don't hate me for saying this, but I don't understand the thinking behind, say ASM 28 (*or 11) being a higher price in all grades, when the reason is that it's scarce in HIGHER grades. Anything below, say, 8.0 , should be the same as the others. GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

Just for fun, here's a quick and dirty census report on ASM #11 vs. #12:

• 9.8:  0 for #11 vs. 4 for #12
  • 9.6:  7 vs. 8
  • 9.4:  9 vs. 26
  • 9.2:  8 vs. 30
  • 9.0:  18 vs. 49
  • 8.5:  36 vs. 77
  • 8.0:  58 vs. 110
  • 7.5:  94 vs. 117
  • 7.0:  112 vs. 109
  • 6.5:  118 vs. 139
  • 6.0:  119 vs. 121
  • 5.5:  98 vs. 83
  • 5.0:  108 vs. 112

So, a very significant difference in supply (2x-4x) for all grades between 8.0 and 9.4.