• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Silver age comics that are heating up
26 26

4,097 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Key Largo Comics said:

Thanks for posting these pages. They don't seem to debunk anything really. Dane Whitman and his uncle Nathan Garrett as Black Knight.

@Heronext @Key Largo ComicsTechnically BK is in #47 albeit a flashback and it's not Dane Whitman.  There are arguments for both 47 and 48 as the Key issue I guess but they are both important issues in regards to the Origin of the BK it seems.

Edited by Xenosmilus

All this information is welcome and good for those that have not read. 

In the end it doesn’t matter much as the market has chosen 48 and CGC will support this. 

True 1st or no? There is a trend going on that will not end with this book. It started with wolverine and it gets more convoluted as we go.

9 minutes ago, Callaway29 said:

Either way, both books certainly qualify for the category of heating up. It’s one of those “get both” situations. Think warlock/him (Thor165/ff67/mp1).

Definitely get both! If you can find at a fair market price from someone that doesn’t know about the casting yet. Atomic Ave dealers are usually good for getting a fair price on books that have heated since most are not keeping up.

1 hour ago, Shoomanfoo said:

In the end it doesn’t matter much as the market has chosen 48 and CGC will support this. 

I'm not sure how you can make this statement. I think it's still an open question as to what the market will decide.  It looks like they are selling at around the same prices.  #48 may be slightly higher but you have to take into consideration that there are less issues of 9.8's so it will drive the lower grade prices up. CGC has nothing to do with dictating Key issues.  They just describe the issue ini a sentence.

2 hours ago, Xenosmilus said:

I'm not sure how you can make this statement. I think it's still an open question as to what the market will decide.  It looks like they are selling at around the same prices.  #48 may be slightly higher but you have to take into consideration that there are less issues of 9.8's so it will drive the lower grade prices up. CGC has nothing to do with dictating Key issues.  They just describe the issue ini a sentence.

I’m glad you believe that...

the masses would ignore CGC (first appearance) and invest in the lesser and unrecognized one...says nobody ever.

lmaooo

2 minutes ago, Shoomanfoo said:

I’m glad you believe that...

the masses would ignore CGC (first appearance) and invest in the lesser and unrecognized one...says nobody ever.

lmaooo

CGC does not state a first appearance on #48, it does for #47 however. So by your logic #47 is the key.

Screen Shot 2019-09-01 at 12.35.21 PM.png

Screen Shot 2019-09-01 at 12.34.52 PM.png

On 8/30/2019 at 8:26 AM, Beige said:

That is a very good question.

Debut of Nathan Garrett in very early Giant-Man/Wasp team up and one of the first duo's 'big' baddies.

It should, but how much will depend on if there is any relationship/link between Whitman and Garrett in the Eternals movie - if any at all.

I would be very suprised if all 3 books didn't benefit but by how much and for how long will slowly reveal itself.

Does the BK have the Ebony Blade in TTA #52? If it does then I would think it should benefit.

Though I've owned the book for years, I'm realizing for the first time that the perspective on #48 is from directly above the buildings, and the Black Knight is flying straight up at the "camera."  Can't think of any other covers that ever took this angle.

Edited by Sweet Lou 14

22 hours ago, Key Largo Comics said:

I think the Black Knight is going to be big. I have a raw 48 on ebay right now for a ridiculous ask and I'm thinking about pulling it down.

I could see an introduction in the Eternals and then a monster prequel GOT type trilogy with Kit Harrington.

In the short term of the MCU, I’m not sure how big the Knight’s role will be in The Eternals as I think he will be a chapter from the past in Sersi’s life in an ensemble movie about all the Eternals. 

In the long term of the MCU, I think he will tie in to Captain Britain somehow if that character debuts, though a guy dressed up like an Arthurian knight walking around modern NYC could be quite humorous in the mighty Marvel Cinematic Universe manner.

10 hours ago, Xenosmilus said:

Does the BK have the Ebony Blade in TTA #52? If it does then I would think it should benefit.

Yes, but the sword rejected him.

Dane Whitman only becomes the Black Night after Nathan Garret tells him to seek it out and use it to restore the family honour.

I think thats how I remember it.

19 hours ago, Sweet Lou 14 said:

Though I've owned the book for years, I'm realizing for the first time that the perspective on #48 is from directly above the buildings, and the Black Knight is flying straight up at the "camera."  Can't think of any other covers that ever took this angle.

Maybe Hawkman 4??

12 hours ago, Unstoppablejayd said:

Got Avengers #48 in a trade a scant 2 weeks ago for $25 from a large local dealer. Good timing for me:

BUXJFQs.jpg