• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Tomb Raider list - fyi

12 posts in this topic

So a forumite asks me to send him a list of my Tomb Raider comics for sale - I started listing and just take a look at the insanity:

Tomb Raider list:

Preview edition (comes with Legacy of kain soul reaver preview)

Preview edition gold foil with monstermart.com logo gold stamp

preview edition ashcan (smaller comic)

Tomb raider 1 sketch cover (mid-ohio con edition)

TR 0

Top Cow preview 2001 Tomb Raider: The greatest treasure of all (joe jusko cover)

TR 0 DF exclusive alternate cover joe jusko w COA # 0003/5000

TR 0 DF exclusive alternate cover joe jusko gold foil w COA # 0270/500

TR 0 DF exclusive alternate cover joe jusko blu foil w COA # 0975/999

TR 0 DF exclusive alternate cover joe jusko red foil w COA # 0002/999

TR 1/2 Wizard mail away

TR 1/2 Wizard mail away DF signed byJurgens w coa 198/750

TR 1/2 Wizard mail away retailer special edition gold foil stamp - michael lopez cover

TR 1/2 Wizard mail away retailer special edition gold foil stamp - michael lopez cover

TR 1/2 Wizard mail away retailer WW.com special edition red foil stamp - michael lopez cover DF signed by Jurgens and Michael lopez with COA # 187/650

TR 1/2 image reprint of wizard mail away

TR 1/2 DF gold foil coa 321/999

TR 1/2 DF gold foil coa signed jurgens 003/199

TR Origins 1

TR Origins 1 gold foil

TR 1 turner cover signed by Turner

TR 1 finch

tr 1 turner

TR 1 Park (on rock)

TR 1 Park (temple ruins background)

TR 1 gold foil tower records

TR 1 holofoil (multi color refracting logo) tower records

TR 1 Another universe.com exclusive

TR 1 Another universe.com exclusive gold foil

TR 1 Another universe.com exclusive df signed by jurgens coa 0023/1500

TR 1 wraparound chromium cover (andy park on rock scene)

TR 1 E3 exclusive with goldfoil stamp on cover (michael turner cover)

TR 1 Top cow classics black and white

TR 1 Top cow classics black and white DF alternate sketch cover

TR 1 Andy park on rock cover signed by Park and Wohl

TR 2 swim cover

TR 2 DF alt cover 823/10000

TR 2 DF alt cover gold foil

TR 2 DF alt cover signed by park and jurgens coa 471/1500

TR 2 tower records gold foil alt cover

TR 2 tower records holofoil chromium wraparound alt cover

TR 3 eruptor.com alt cover (combines with madgalena and witchblade covers to form a poster print?) coa ltd to 2000 copies

TR 3 eruptor.com alt cover gold foil stamp (combines with madgalena and witchblade covers to form a poster print?) coa ltd to 500 copies

TR 4

TR 4 holofoil chromium wraparound

TR 4 DF alt cover coa 4293/7500

TR 4 DF alt cover gold foil coa1020/3000

TR 4 DF alt cover gold foil signed by Jae lee coa 0203/1500

TR 5

TR 5 DF alt cover coa 1954/7500

TR 5 DF alt cover gold foil coa 0509/3000

TR 6

tr 7

tr 8

I stopped with 8 because 9 also had 6 or 7 different variants. As far as I know I had a COMPLETE TR collection to date and I was missing the TR 4 DF alt cover with a Jae Lee sketch on it. I've never seen this one. If anyone can track one down, let me know wink.gif If anyone else is interested in this @#$%, I have up to the current number (47? vs the Magdalena II), let me know. She's great to look at but considering I was paying Wizard prices for some of the rarer books, like the .com exclusives Christo_pull_hair.gif

So a forumite asks me to send him a list of my Tomb Raider comics for sale - I started listing and just take a look at the insanity:

I stopped with 8 because 9 also had 6 or 7 different variants. As far as I know I had a COMPLETE TR collection to date and I was missing the TR 4 DF alt cover with a Jae Lee sketch on it. I've never seen this one. If anyone can track one down, let me know wink.gif If anyone else is interested in this @#$%, I have up to the current number (47? vs the Magdalena II), let me know. She's great to look at but considering I was paying Wizard prices for some of the rarer books, like the .com exclusives Christo_pull_hair.gif

Guilty as charged! Thanks Darth! 893applaud-thumb.gif

This is why I have a whole shortbox dedicated to my Tomb Raider stuff....you want variants? Dude, they're in here! *laughs*

I've looked over the Comics Price Guide website regarding these issues as well, and even they don't have EVERY variant listed! insane.gif

ahh, I see you are back to using your "Angelina Jolie + nude" search parameter again... the problem with or Image/Top Cow editions distributed by Semic or european Marvel distributed by Panini is that I can't keep up with what's official and licensed by Marvel international vs. what the local publisher will take freedoms with and in effect create counterfeit versions that are worthless on the back issue market. It is neat for TR collectors but seems like nothing more than fan art. However, Gabrielle Dell'Otto got recognition this way so you may be picking up the next Young Guns' work for all that matters confused-smiley-013.gif

ahh, I see you are back to using your "Angelina Jolie + nude" search parameter again

893whatthe.gifsign-offtopic.gif

the problem with or Image/Top Cow editions distributed by Semic or european Marvel distributed by Panini is that I can't keep up with what's official and licensed by Marvel international vs. what the local publisher will take freedoms with and in effect create counterfeit versions that are worthless on the back issue market.

You are a little over my head here. I've never checked out a european version of an american comic. I might just have to do that some day. The sellers comments about production quality exceeding that of an american comic is interesting. Just out of curiosity, are counterfeit versions from local publishers a common?

Just out of curiosity, are counterfeit versions from local publishers a common?

I would defer to guys like chromium and awe4one who live over there, but let me give you my understanding of it:

Speaking strictly of Semic and Marvel Comics dist by Panini, I have learned that they will combine storyarcs, crossover characters (print one issue ofDarkness with a concurrent issue of Tomb Raider), turn regular issues into TPB releases to increase the price points, but will get a local artist (with no ties to Marvel or Image) to do the cover? Why not just use the cover on the corresponding American issue? - Because of their combining issues to justify higher prices, there are 2 or more covers of the American version to pick from and since they may not have Marvel/Top Cow's permission to reprint the material in a particular format, they go ahead with a new cover that is technically "counterfeit", or not something licensed by the US Publisher. For reading, I don't think it really matters - it is the same content, just in a different language or given to you in one-shot format vs. a mini or maxi series

I would defer to guys like chromium and awe4one who live over there

Chrom would be a better source than I. I don't normally buy German versions except for requests from collectors looking for specific issues. So I can't consistently compare the English/German versions to know if one's counterfeit or not.

I will say there are loads of translated Wildstorm/Top Cow material for sale at the comic shows. Some featuring the same character or title but having different publishers. Some of these could very well be the counterfeits you're talking about.

Do you have any specifics I can use to search for a couple? There's a show I'm setting up at next Saturday and you've peaked my curiousity... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Jim