• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ADVICE PLEASE: Why are my auctions not working out?

81 posts in this topic

So, I've been selling some of my old comics on eBay, and I find that the prices I'm getting for them are not what I thought I should based the prices got for the same books in similar condition by other sellers. Am I doing something wrong? Is it just luck? Time of year? Because I'm not an established seller? Too many photos? Because they are ungraded? ...

Here are three closed auctions:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/261703382154?ssPageName=STRK:MESOX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1559.l2649

http://www.ebay.com/itm/261694326113?ssPageName=STRK:MESOX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1559.l2649

Here's an open one:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/261708105727?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649

I feel like I'm using good pictures and keywords ... am I wrong? Also, is there venue that's preferable to eBay?

Have you tried selling on the boards? I know the ASM 361 would have been bought up for way more then $24.49. E-Bay auctions are risky for the high volume sellers and a good way to give away books for low feedback sellers. BINs are your friends if you have some time to sell em off.

What was the grade on the ASM Annual #1? I couldn't find it in the auction at all. That's a problem. You don't describe the actual comic at all. That's a problem.

You also have waaaaay too much information. Nobody cares what the story is. They want to know about the grade, the defects. It looks a little amateurish.

What was the grade on the ASM Annual #1? I couldn't find it in the auction at all. That's a problem. You don't describe the actual comic at all. That's a problem.

You also have waaaaay too much information. Nobody cares what the story is. They want to know about the grade, the defects. It looks a little amateurish.

Yea anyone looking at the book is a collector. They already know the story. Good point too. Listings like that always make me laugh.

Here's my list.

1. Low number of transactions (not established)

2. Weird bot name user name

3. ungraded

4. Wall of text for story (on ASM Annual)

5. High shipping for raws

6. Time of year is a factor

7. Why on earth wouldn't the title of the comic be the first thing you list in the listing?

You can attempt to sell here on the boards, and you won't have to pay ebay fees.

I tend to buy from established sellers only because I look to their feedback for grading comments. You may want to build your grading/packing rep with not-so-hot books and then bring out the hot books after people have weighed in.

You may want to "pad" your description area - talk about your shipping methods, return policy, grading info, and skip the comic synopsis. In my opinion, I prefer to see lots of policy verbiage on a seller's page as it just comes across that they've given some thought to how they actually follow up on orders. Few things scare me more than a two sentence auction listing.

Good luck.

I have no idea what the grade is on this book from the description - it looks to be VG- ish, so $120, while a little low, isn't out of the market range. You need to have a much better description - get rid of all the about the book and talk about its grade.

Your starting price is way too high, and you're hiding the only book in the lot that will make it pop - the Winter Special in the top left corner. Everything else in this lot is either drek or everywhere.

Wow that was quick. Thank you for the advice, I appreciate it. I should have come to you guys before I started! ... oh well, live and learn, or something like that. The ASM Annual #1 was my most valuable comic ... should have started small. Anyway, I'll try the boards after the New Year.

Thanks again. Happy New Year!

This is pretty much what market is for these books in this grade, so I'm not seeing a problem here.

I'd agree on that one , but I think he got taken on the ASM Annual.

In that grade, you've got to look at Overstreet as a baseline. Good is $91, VG is $182, so a VG- (3.5 for you newbs) is about $160 and a VG is about $135. Factor in the lack of description, low feedback seller, and high shipping costs, and the $120 is probably the most he could have gotten on eBay. Also - and this is important - that book in that grade is EVERYWHERE.

Also - and this is important - that book in that grade is EVERYWHERE.

Bingo! Also, the ASM #361 that was sold in VF is a tough to get anything close to real value. A VF copy of an extremely common comic published in the past 25 years is going to go for significantly less than a NM or better copy.

Also - and this is important - that book in that grade is EVERYWHERE.

Bingo! Also, the ASM #361 that was sold in VF is a tough to get anything close to real value. A VF copy of an extremely common comic published in the past 25 years is going to go for significantly less than a NM or better copy.

Right right. That makes sense. Thanks.