• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

First Silver age appearance of Peggy Carter ?

12 posts in this topic

It can get confusing if you follow "agent 13" that was thrown around a bit prior to these issues but from what I have researched this seems to be correct. There are numerous contradictions online to the actual facts.

Tales of Suspense 75 -Sharon Carter 's first appearance also has a one - panel flashback of Peggy Carter. Should this count?

Tales of suspense 77 - WW2 flashback story with Peggy Carter. First Silver age appearance (or first full appearance, depending on your views to issue 75)

Agree? Disagree?

If you mean whether she was invented in the Golden Age: no, surely (as most of Cap's background) was added in the Silver Age. So #75 is surely the first Sharon, and then Peggy.

I’d love to have a GA Cap, or some Timely issue with the apperances of characters later on reintroduced by Roy Thomas, like Miss America, the Whizzer, etc. :)

If you mean whether she was invented in the Golden Age: no, surely (as most of Cap's background) was added in the Silver Age. So #75 is surely the first Sharon, and then Peggy.

I’d love to have a GA Cap, or some Timely issue with the apperances of characters later on reintroduced by Roy Thomas, like Miss America, the Whizzer, etc. :)

I thought so too, wanted to make sure :applause:

There is a thread on this from this past Summer. In TOS 77 (1966), a female resistance fighter is portrayed as a love interest of Cap during the war -- but no reference in TOS 77 to Margaret or Peggy or Carter. So when Stan Lee wrote TOS 77, the character was not Peggy Carter -- she was an anonymous resistance fighter. Then, in Captain America 161 (1973), writer Steve Englehart reaches back to TOS 77 and takes that unnamed resistance fighter and calls her Peggy Carter, the older sister of Sharon Carter, who after the war loses her memory but gets it back in that story from '73. So, Cap 161 makes TOS 77 ipso facto the "first" appearance of Peggy Carter. This probably explains why the CGC label for TOS 77 stays silent on TOS 77 being a first appearance for Peggy Carter.

I would be curious to see what the CBCS label for TOS 77 shows.

Tos 75 - cameo

Tos 77 first

Long run I think tos 75 is a keeper and currently a sleeper. At some point agent 13 will make an impact in the marvel cinematic universe, after all they did have her host the last marvel tv special. Tos 77 is good for Peggy and I like her but don't see much long term potential after the show

Tos 75 - cameo

Tos 77 first

Long run I think tos 75 is a keeper and currently a sleeper. At some point agent 13 will make an impact in the marvel cinematic universe, after all they did have her host the last marvel tv special. Tos 77 is good for Peggy and I like her but don't see much long term potential after the show

(thumbs u

In TOS 77 (1966), a female resistance fighter is portrayed as a love interest of Cap during the war -- but no reference in TOS 77 to Margaret or Peggy or Carter. So when Stan Lee wrote TOS 77, the character was not Peggy Carter -- she was an anonymous resistance fighter. Then, in Captain America 161 (1973), writer Steve Englehart reaches back to TOS 77 and takes that unnamed resistance fighter and calls her Peggy Carter, the older sister of Sharon Carter, who after the war loses her memory but gets it back in that story from '73. So, Cap 161 makes TOS 77 ipso facto the "first" appearance of Peggy Carter. This probably explains why the CGC label for TOS 77 stays silent on TOS 77 being a first appearance for Peggy Carter.

Sounds similar to Misty Knight. She was first introduced in Marvel Premiere #19 (I think mentioned in name only) and #20 ('75) by Tony Isabella. A later retcon in Marvel Team-Up #64 ('77) by John Byrne and Chris Claremont claim she appeared as an unnamed woman in Marvel Team-Up #1 ('72), written by Roy Thomas, who never intended for it to be anyone of any significance.

CGC added this to their label of #1..."Spider-Man saves woman who is eventually revealed as Misty Knight."

In TOS 77 (1966), a female resistance fighter is portrayed as a love interest of Cap during the war -- but no reference in TOS 77 to Margaret or Peggy or Carter. So when Stan Lee wrote TOS 77, the character was not Peggy Carter -- she was an anonymous resistance fighter. Then, in Captain America 161 (1973), writer Steve Englehart reaches back to TOS 77 and takes that unnamed resistance fighter and calls her Peggy Carter, the older sister of Sharon Carter, who after the war loses her memory but gets it back in that story from '73. So, Cap 161 makes TOS 77 ipso facto the "first" appearance of Peggy Carter. This probably explains why the CGC label for TOS 77 stays silent on TOS 77 being a first appearance for Peggy Carter.

Sounds similar to Misty Knight. She was first introduced in Marvel Premiere #19 (I think mentioned in name only) and #20 ('75) by Tony Isabella. A later retcon in Marvel Team-Up #64 ('77) by John Byrne and Chris Claremont claim she appeared as an unnamed woman in Marvel Team-Up #1 ('72), written by Roy Thomas, who never intended for it to be anyone of any significance.

CGC added this to their label of #1..."Spider-Man saves woman who is eventually revealed as Misty Knight."

so true, Bobbi Morse, Carol Danvers etc... they all had slow starts that eventually grew in significance. Took many years. There was a definite shortage of strong (superhero) female characters in those days.

If I remember correctly, the ground was laid in the TOS stories for Sharon and Peggy to be related - sort of.

When Cap first met Agent 13 (if she was even called that at first) he mistakes her for the resistance fighter he loved during the war. Their resemblance is mentioned a couple of times during the Batroc / Inferno 42 story arc.

So the idea that they were the same person (how could that be - given the 20-some year lapse) or might be related in some other way was inferred from the very introduction of the characters.

It was one of those mysterious plot threads that Stan and Jack eventually meant to wrap up - but never did - possibly due to Stan and Jack juggling so many different books and story lines or to Jack leaving the book about ten issues later.