• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Buying rituals at Cons - How do you go about buying at Cons?

66 posts in this topic

I always set a goal from the want list. I’ve gone to shows and purchased mostly from my list and other times gone and bought nothing from my list and still just as happy.

Also depends on how much money I have. Normally bring lots of $5 and $10s (try to help the vendors out (they always seem thankful to get smaller bills)).

For big cons I walk the floor to see who has what I look for $.50 - $2 bins and will only dig through them if they are somewhat alphabetized and rarely look through boxes on the floor (to hard on the knees these days). I like a mix of quantity and quality.

Look for vendors I have used before.

Agree totally with what a few posters have said, never take children and never take civilians (non-comic book people (especially to SDCC and waste your time – whole other story)).

I will go to all the dealers booths and check out books I'll never buy until I have seen just about everything I want to check out. Then I go back and buy what I was looking for. Some shows I make a list before hand but I don't do well with crowds and sometimes totally draw a blank.

My problem with shows is I can generally find everything easier from a couple clicks on the computer. But looking at books in hand has its advantages

With that technique aren't all the "steals" you saw on the first pass purchased already? I'd love to make a quick walk thru but with the big cons that could take a couple hours. But if you don't do a walk thru then you don't know if an even better deal isn't a couple booths over or not. Tricky tricky.

I think the reality is the great deals or awesome books sell the night before anyway. If I miss something I miss something but I don't like to commit the cash to buy stuff if some dealers has a better deal at another table. I am only talking like 30 min lap around the room

I whip out $100's like Oakman and wipe my brow.

Amazing how fast I get some attention.

It is the Foolkiller way of doing business.

You know it Bob. lol Buying a book for a few K's,and slapping them hundy's down one at a time is.... :cloud9: