• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Wolverton- "Creeping Death from Neptune"

16 posts in this topic

Greg Sadowski did his usual wonderful joy on this tome of the early art of Basil Wolverton. The historical context is great as well as the color reproduction pages. Gosh Wolverton was a genius. ......and yet to get to Powerhouse Pepper....stuff

Greg Sadowski did his usual wonderful joy on this tome of the early art of Basil Wolverton. The historical context is great as well as the color reproduction pages. Gosh Wolverton was a genius. ......and yet to get to Powerhouse Pepper....stuff

Good call, Jon. Vol. I is superb. In a field of so many great books this year, this'n stands out as a revelation in many ways. A tough wait for Vol. II, but I'm sure the final result will be worth every penny. Hope this sells well for 'em. :wishluck:

Here's what the book looks like if people want to see http://www.fantagraphics.com/browse-shop/creeping-death-from-neptune-the-life-and-comics-of-basil-wolverton-vol-1-7.html?vmcchk=1

Thanks Jon, have ordered it on your recommendation

You won't be disappointed; I'll back Jon's endorsement 100%. I liked this book well enough that I bought multiples. The unpublished stuff alone makes it worth the price of admission. (thumbs u

I honestly wasn't a Wolverton fan when I first saw his art years ago but that was through some very immature teenage eyes. But my goodness his creativity and storytelling was genius. I posted this before but I was lucky enough to win this book not too long ago. It is a numbered edition of 250 copies of which this is number 233. It is signed by Basil's son, Monte, Ron Goulart and the book designer. Released in 1978 I believe. Looks like it will have a companion buudy now.

Gb

agx11a.jpg

Awesome (thumbs u

Centaur collectors. The Wolverton book has proto art for work he did for Centaur with different mock covers....

These look like more than just preliminaries or mock covers, Jon.

Of course, for all I know (given the breadth of your awesome comic art collection) you may own the original art, so I'll defer to your impressions.

These appear to be finished B&W work-ups (ready for color layout) that were passed over by the publisher. If that's the case, then Centaur's art director apparently didn't share the tastes of Wolverton's fans when it came to marketing. Go figure.

lol PS: I've already contacted Ryan about creating full color versions of these AMF covers (first dibs). :sumo:

I honestly wasn't a Wolverton fan when I first saw his art years ago but that was through some very immature teenage eyes. But my goodness his creativity and storytelling was genius. I posted this before but I was lucky enough to win this book not too long ago. It is a numbered edition of 250 copies of which this is number 233. It is signed by Basil's son, Monte, Ron Goulart and the book designer. Released in 1978 I believe. Looks like it will have a companion buudy now.

Gb

agx11a.jpg

that's pretty neat buddy!!! and thanks for the recommendation JB will pick up a copy for sure!! (thumbs u

Those rejected Centaur covers are from the collection of Robert Wiener. I added the AMF logos, so they are indeed mock covers, as Jon noted. One of them had appeared earlier in color as the cover of the 1978 Spacehawk collection, which Robert edited.

Just ordered, looks like a lot of value for $39 bucks.

As Greg's Book explains, Wolverton did those covers unsolicited and were not used ....They were to be submitted as "roughs" only and any further work was subject to editorial approval from Jacquet which never came for the four unsolicited covers he submitted.....

(I hope I got that right.....) jon

Those rejected Centaur covers are from the collection of Robert Wiener. I added the AMF logos, so they are indeed mock covers, as Jon noted. One of them had appeared earlier in color as the cover of the 1978 Spacehawk collection, which Robert edited.

Thanks for the background info. They certainly looked like they could've been rejected covers, but no art director of sound mind would've rejected them, IMO.

Now, back to the egg nog. :insane:

Wolverton was instructed by Jacquet to submit cover ideas as roughs, but he sent instead fully finished art, perhaps to avoid any delay if they happened to be accepted, as BW lived on the other side of the country.

Wolverton was instructed by Jacquet to submit cover ideas as roughs, but he sent instead fully finished art, perhaps to avoid any delay if they happened to be accepted, as BW lived on the other side of the country.

Here is a classic cover by Wolverton.....

152104.jpg.1d7f3adbb82e6831851bfa0cc7ee28d9.jpg

Here is a classic cover by Wolverton.....

:applause: Beautiful! That Target cover is awesome.

Big thanks to Greg & Jon for clearing up the backstory on those AMF mock covers. I've learned more about BW's approach to his work and have a better grasp of the complicated business arrangements he had with publishers.

I'm also getting a clearer perspective on the unpublished cover art included in CDFN and why Wolverton's submissions should be considered mock covers. It seems like a distinction without much of a difference since he submitted finished art, but as it was unsolicited work I suppose it does make a difference. Given the distance involved I can understand why Wolverton tried to submit camera ready cover art (without AMF banners) along with his interior story art. It's unfortunate that BW's finished cover work was rejected. Centaur apparently preferred local artists whose rough sketches could be reworked under the control of the publisher or art director.

This is my take away from the discussion thus far. Hopefully, I'm on the right track. If I've overlooked or misstated anything, maybe Jon or Greg will set me straight.

Now I need to figure out which of the issues with published Wolverton interior art correspond with his unpublished cover art. Any help in this regard would be greatly appreciated. Comparing the actual published covers by date and issue with the rejected cover art might provide an interesting area for discussion in respect to Centaur's choices, marketing and struggles in the burgeoning comic business.

If you enjoy Basil Wolverton's work I'd urge you to snap up a copy of Creeping Death From Neptune. It's obviously a labor of love with a wealth of rare, well researched material. The first of two volumes summing up the life of one of America's most intriguing, stylistically unique comic artists.

Highly recommended! (thumbs u (thumbs u (thumbs u (thumbs u (four thumbs-up, sounds like a perfectly suitable design for a Wolverton alien)