• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Guess which comic is a Rare and desirable 1956 DC key #1 ?

115 posts in this topic

Sugar and Spike is a great series, and its got good value, but the pool of people looking for it is pretty small.

The same goes for some of the more valuable genre titles of the Golden/Silver Age.

The St. John's Romance Giants are highly collectable... but not by a lot of collectors. They have high value, but put it in front of 100 collectors, and maybe 1 or 2 will care. Same goes for Sugar and Spike.

Sugar and Spike is a great series, and its got good value, but the pool of people looking for it is pretty small.

The same goes for some of the more valuable genre titles of the Golden/Silver Age.

The St. John's Romance Giants are highly collectable... but not by a lot of collectors. They have high value, but put it in front of 100 collectors, and maybe 1 or 2 will care. Same goes for Sugar and Spike.

Oh really ?? so I wonder who is buying all the Sugar and Spike issues 1-20 that dealers tell me they are quick movers when they get them in ??

Oh really ?? so I wonder who is buying all the Sugar and Spike issues 1-20 that dealers tell me they are quick movers when they get them in ??

Are there any left? I thought Silver had bought them all. :D

Who cares? The people who like them and want them will go for them. Who cares about who doesn't want them?

They may be quick movers, but there are still a limited number of people collecting them. I collect them -- I love Mayer -- but they it's still a niche market.

I am glad you like them,.. but to call them a niche market would be like calling those in the numismatic field who collect seated dimes "niche series coin collectors" , there are many reasons why some coins AND comics have limited number of collectors, and one of the main reasons is because they are not instantly available, the instant gratification cannot be satisfied no matter how much money you have,..unlike ANY marvel comic series in which every issue is readily available every single day,

what you would call niche series collectors (of both coins and comics) are what I consider to be the most knowledgeable and most intellectual of all the comic collectors , I applaud Millie the Model , Sugar and Spike and any and most all golden age completionist collectors.

I would gladly start collecting Sugar and Spike but I know I may never find an issue #1, that is why I have yet to start a collection of them, if I knew I could get a G/VG blue label copy of issue #1 for guide I would start the entire run, but I know that may take a decade or more.

They may be quick movers, but there are still a limited number of people collecting them. I collect them -- I love Mayer -- but they it's still a niche market.

I know what you're saying, but every comic could be described as a "niche" market.

I'd venture there are more collectors uninterested in owning an AF #15 than there are who are interested, even among those that are willing to spend that 4 or 5 figures on a comic book.

I am glad you like them,.. but to call them a niche market would be like calling those in the numismatic field who collect seated dimes "niche series coin collectors" , there are many reasons why some coins AND comics have limited number of collectors, and one of the main reasons is because they are not instantly available, the instant gratification cannot be satisfied no matter how much money you have,..unlike ANY marvel comic series in which every issue is readily available every single day,

what you would call niche series collectors (of both coins and comics) are what I consider to be the most knowledgeable and most intellectual of all the comic collectors , I applaud Millie the Model , Sugar and Spike and any and most all golden age completionist collectors.

I would gladly start collecting Sugar and Spike but I know I may never find an issue #1, that is why I have yet to start a collection of them, if I knew I could get a G/VG blue label copy of issue #1 for guide I would start the entire run, but I know that may take a decade or more.

I'm not sure I agree with much of what you say. (I know nothing of coin collecting, so I can't comment on your analogy.)

To me, you should collect what you like, and I suspect that the majority of comic collectors today have no interest in Sugar and Spike or Millie the Model or a lot of things. I don't think I've ever not started buying a series because I knew it was going to be difficult to complete. And I definitely don't think that people who collect more esoteric comics are in any way more knowledgable. They probably know more about Sheldon Mayer, but I don't know if they know more about everything.

There is no doubt that Sugar and Spike is both esoteric and collected much less than popular super-hero comics. Also very likely is that Sugar and Spike collectors are older and there are few new fans to the series. However, for what it is, it is still a series that has a small but strong fan base.

The covers have an almost universal appeal to them...babies. Babies talking and doing some pretty funny stuff. Some of the charm of the series are that the stories hold up incredibly well today. Read any issue and you will find that it still makes you laugh or smile and seems as relevant today as when it was published.

You don't find yourself wondering if a radiated spider could really give a guy super-powers, or how did that rocket make it all the way to Earth from a planet in another galaxy or anything like that.

Archie collectors know this too, there is a charm and appeal to some of the humor comics, that while not collected in the large numbers as hero books, makes them desirable enough to have very loyal followers. The consistent quality that SM put into S&S are why the book is even being talked about today, instead of languishing in long boxes and unloved by collectors like so many non super-hero books are.

I am personally glad it isn't more popular, I have more issues to find. lol

There is no doubt that Sugar and Spike is both esoteric and collected much less than popular super-hero comics. Also very likely is that Sugar and Spike collectors are older and there are few new fans to the series. However, for what it is, it is still a series that has a small but strong fan base.

The covers have an almost universal appeal to them...babies. Babies talking and doing some pretty funny stuff. Some of the charm of the series are that the stories hold up incredibly well today. Read any issue and you will find that it still makes you laugh or smile and seems as relevant today as when it was published.

You don't find yourself wondering if a radiated spider could really give a guy super-powers, or how did that rocket make it all the way to Earth from a planet in another galaxy or anything like that.

Archie collectors know this too, there is a charm and appeal to some of the humor comics, that while not collected in the large numbers as hero books, makes them desirable enough to have very loyal followers. The consistent quality that SM put into S&S are why the book is even being talked about today, instead of languishing in long boxes and unloved by collectors like so many non super-hero books are.

I am personally glad it isn't more popular, I have more issues to find. lol

Well said!

In terms of books holding value, buying any comic is a roll of the dice and if you are a collector rather than a dealer, it's always best to assume that when the time comes for you (or your heirs) to sell, the books will have lost some or all of their value.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sugar-and-Spike-1-1956-CGC-8-0-Highest-Graded-/161596799538?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item259feb7a32

a CGC 8.0 has just been listed on ebay for $8000.00 , it probably won't sell for anywhere near that price but regardless of what some may think ,.. Sugar and Spike #1 is rare AND desirable, is a major silver age key, and is near impossible to find..............I wish I had a decent vg

down to 7K now