• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Emotionally Stimulating Modern Series List

84 posts in this topic

What is everyone's opinions on Ex Machina?

I hear both sides of the spectrum on that one.... Some love it. Some say the ending ruined the whole series (No spoilers please. I haven't read it yet, haha).

I figure I will read it this year since I enjoy BKV so much.

I really like Ex Machina, planned to read the series again soon. BKV is my favorite current writer so I may be biased. Definitely worth the read although I'm not too sure it's at a Y or Saga level, but that can be expected with many earlier works by creators.

It's been a few months since I've asked the boards. My LCS raved about WE 3 by Morrison and Quitely and for some reason I just didn't connect with it. I've been reading a much larger number of trades lately and would love some more feedback as my stack is getting low.

Any recent series or trades come out or ones to recommend that can classify as emotionally stimulating that I may have missed? If it has the possibility to make a grown man cry even better, I like to have a diversity of reads on hand and am empty on ones that rank among I Kill Giants.

WE3 was like a sadder, explosion-ier Homeward Bound & made me weep like a little girl at the end.

All four employees at my shop all said something similar. I read it and felt broken. (shrug)

I'm not too sure if it was my mood or if the language used by the dogs rubbed me the wrong way or what. I'll give it another read. I've had pets my entire life so was sure it would get me and nada.

I'm re-reading Strangers in Paradise, and so should you! Unless you've somehow missed this masterpiece, then it should be number 1 on your must read list... The series changed how I viewed modern comics, the same way Starlin's warlock changed how I viewed sci-fi.

I'm re-reading Strangers in Paradise, and so should you! Unless you've somehow missed this masterpiece, then it should be number 1 on your must read list... The series changed how I viewed modern comics, the same way Starlin's warlock changed how I viewed sci-fi.

How so? I bought the complete collection off Amazon. While I enjoyed parts of it, I lost interest. It just felt directionless. While I liked the characters, I didn't care enough about the story to keep slogging through it.

What makes it a masterpiece?