• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Emotionally Stimulating Modern Series List

84 posts in this topic

45 minutes ago, ExNihilo said:

I don't remember it as much for its comedic elements to be honest.  Then again, I think people remember sad things more than they remember the happy ones.

And while I'm at it, I might as well offer up 2 other suggestions:

1) Silver Surfer: Requiem (J. Michael Straczynski, Esad Ribic)

2) Spider-Man: Blue (Jeph Loeb, Tim Sale)

Ah, okay. I’ll toss it on my list. 

Thank you for the other suggestions as well. 

22 hours ago, Hekla said:

Why? Caused anxiety? (Not being snarky). I thought the first 3 arcs or so were brilliant & great world-building, but it started to fall apart at the end (for me)

I always felt like he tried tackling issues that most wouldn't because they are uncomfortable and not jazzy (especially how women and animals are treated throughout the world).  

Kind of like "the Pride" by Vaughan.  Another I'd throw on this list.  

Patrick

On 2/16/2018 at 1:25 AM, Mecha_Fantastic said:

I haven't reread it in a few years, but I remember Dynamo 5 getting to me at times. It was a generally fun, classic super-team book but with a nice modern twist (a few twists, actually). I liked the idea of finding out you actually had all these unknown brothers and sisters, and that this guy who you venerated as a pure hero, turned out to be the flawed man who was actually your father. 

Whether it gets you emotionally or not, it's still a great series. 

Yes!!  Dynamo 5 was a good one!

I'd also recommend Dynamo 5 and Noble Causes (NC) which is also a Jay Faerber book to anyone who wants to read more stuff similar to Invincible.  NC was a bit more emotional than D5 for me because it was more of a soap opera type book rather than straight up super hero book.

11 hours ago, followtheleader said:

I always felt like he tried tackling issues that most wouldn't because they are uncomfortable and not jazzy (especially how women and animals are treated throughout the world).  

Kind of like "the Pride" by Vaughan.  Another I'd throw on this list.  

Patrick

Fair reasoning.

Haven't read The Pride, so I'll check that out