• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Will I enjoy From Hell?

44 posts in this topic

For some reason I've been checking for a copy of From Hell the last few months every time I venture into Barnes and Noble. They had one last night so I gave in and purchased the book.

I'm about 50 or so pages into it, and I have to ask, what the hell is going on? I'm very confused and having a hard time keeping characters straight. Will it come together, or will my lack of knowledge of the history make it hard to follow?

I'm not hating it, I'm just not sure what is happening.

For some reason I've been checking for a copy of From Hell the last few months every time I venture into Barnes and Noble. They had one last night so I gave in and purchased the book.

I'm about 50 or so pages into it, and I have to ask, what the hell is going on? I'm very confused and having a hard time keeping characters straight. Will it come together, or will my lack of knowledge of the history make it hard to follow?

Keep reading, it will straighten itself out. (IMHO)

(thumbs u

-slym

Definitely worth persevering. I put it down the first time I tried to read it around where you are now. I don't think I was in the right mood for it and it was not what I was expecting. Being a big fan of Moore's work, I gave it another shot a few months later. Boy was it worth it. You may find it dragging some during the architectural tour, but I remember being completely engrossed after that part, which occurs in the first quarter of the book or thereabouts.

A knowledge of English history does help with some of the scenes.

I bought it for a friends birthday years ago, I started flipping through it before wrapping it.

As soon as he opened it I asked to borrow it so I could finish it. lol

Definitely worth persevering. I put it down the first time I tried to read it around where you are now. I don't think I was in the right mood for it and it was not what I was expecting. Being a big fan of Moore's work, I gave it another shot a few months later. Boy was it worth it. You may find it dragging some during the architectural tour, but I remember being completely engrossed after that part, which occurs in the first quarter of the book or thereabouts.

Are you talking about the part where the Doctor takes the guy around the historic landmarks in London? I'm in the middle of that now and it is pulling me in.

Great book. Make sure you get the copy with Moore's annotations at the back - very interesting.

They are in the back of my book (thumbs u

It's a terrific read, but one's experience will be greatly enhanced if one is familiar with ANY of the Jack the Ripper theories.

Just a cursory browse through Wiki will give some background and depth to what Moore was trying to do.

Off to do that now- I have a loose understanding.

Wasn't crazy about the Johnny Depp movie. Pretty much put me off from reading the graphic novel. Anyone know how far apart the book is from the film adaptation?

From what I've read- A LOT. It has been a while since I saw the movie, but it focused on Johnny Depp who is a detective, right? Doesn't he trip on acid and stuff? I'm about a fourth into the book and haven't seen anything that resembles that yet. I believe a detective is introduced soon.

I'll have to find the movie when I'm done with the book, but I don't think they are that similar.

Edit: I guess the story isn't that drastically different from reading the Wiki. Here is a quote on Moore's opinion of the film though:

"The original comic's writer, Alan Moore, did not have anything good to say about the film. He was reportedly disgusted that his "gruff" version of Frederick Abberline was replaced with an "absinthe-swigging dandy" and that the story was changed from an existentialist historical fiction into a mundane "whodunit". This, being the first of the film adaptations of Moore's books, was his first step towards disavowing all film adaptations of his work."