• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Foxing? How do you grade it?

19 posts in this topic

That's not a NM book. gossip.gif

I said "otherwise". foreheadslap.gif

Well according to OS 'some' minor foxing is allowable in the NM grade, but this would be a only few spots. A lot of collectors dislike foxing though ( I am one) and won't consider a book NM with any evidence of it.

The book you have up has some major foxing which should bring the book down to the FN level at best IMO.

So hard to tell from the scan. Are you sure it is foxing?

Looks like foxing to me.

Little brown doo-doo dots. shy.gif

Mai reason I ask is that while the pattern may well be foxing, at least on MY monitor most of the upper edge looks gray, not broan.

Have you tried gently hitting the edge with a white plastic Mars eraser to see if any smegma is removed?

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

....first you need to count the spots. Not sure what you should do after that.

confused-smiley-013.gif

...ok...I looked it up. Minor staining /foxing/discoloration allowed in Fine. Anything above that...and all that's allowed is minor foxing. Don't consider this minor foxing..but it helps that it's only on the back cover.

So.....taking all this into consideration...you have a Fine.

Well according to OS 'some' minor foxing is allowable in the NM grade, but this would be a only few spots. A lot of collectors dislike foxing though ( I am one) and won't consider a book NM with any evidence of it.

The book you have up has some major foxing which should bring the book down to the FN level at best IMO.

That is not major foxing. That is relatively minor foxing. That book could still get a grade of up to NM with that foxing level, assuming that the rest of the book warrants the NM grade.

That is not major foxing. That is relatively minor foxing. That book could still get a grade of up to NM with that foxing level, assuming that the rest of the book warrants the NM grade.

I guess that was more of my question.

Where does this fall? Major, Minor, Moderate, etc.? confused-smiley-013.gif

Thanks for the information, guys. thumbsup2.gif

Au contraire, I consider it to be at least "minor" bordering on "moderate" wink.gif

Who else here has no idea what foxing is? hi.gif

Don't know what foxing is? Look at the 893censored-thumb.gif picture flowerred.gif

This is more than just minor foxing. at least moderate. Anybody noticed that some books are prone to foxing? I've noticed several DD #158's (from different parts of the country) with this flaw on the lower back cover.... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I've seen books literally covered in foxing.

Like the whole thing had a brown cast to it.

I would call this "Severe".

My book seems pretty "Minor" compared to that.

I was trying to get an idea of what "Minor", "Moderate", "Severe", etc. would be.

Thanks for the help! thumbsup2.gif