• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How many lawyers do we have here?

Are you a lawyer?  

396 members have voted

1. 1. Are you a lawyer?

158 posts in this topic

I don't think they are similar at all, but I don't know much about the MCAT. The LSAT has 4 sections of 3 different types: reading comprehension, logic reasoning and logic games. If you want specifics I would suggest going to Borders or a library and flipping through a book on it, there have been many published. If you did well on the SAT/ACT, especially on the verbal section, chances are good that you would do well on the LSAT. Also check out this site....

http://www.lsac.org/

FFB's advice concerning law school is largely correct, and I agree with Doug that going to law school is a waste of time unless you're fairly certain you're going to love the law.

I agree with tth and would join in stating that night schools are not universally looked down upon. If you want to work for Morgan Lewis, Blank Rome or McCarter and English, don't bother unless you finish #1 in the class still going to night school.

But, you can make a living just fine as a night student, and plenty of reputable firms will hire night students. You just won't make $120k a year.

As for the route of DOJ or US Attorney's Office... well, generally the US Attorney's office won't even hire a person right out of law school... so don't even THINK about it, unless they're in a hiring crunch. Otherwise, that's a political connections job, or one where you went to a top ten law school and clerked federall and probably gained some legal experience in addition to that.

Truthfully, for trial law, you're better off at a prominent city/county DA's office like Manhatten, Philly, Chicago, LA or another big city. You try more cases and don't win as often just by showing up. The Feds prosecute cases and won't even take cases to the grand jury unless they're sure they're winners. However, they learn how to investigate cases much better, and work closely with the investigators, so they understand their cases very well.

Law school was never very difficult, but I was an underachiever in college and law school, and chose Seton Hall over going to Rutgers Newark (one of the dumbest decisions of my life). Go to a law school that has a good rep, but if you can do it on the cheap, do so. For example, I'd go to Temple any day of the week over Villanova. They have the same ranking, and in Philly, lots of prominent attorneys went there.

It's all about who you know here in Philly, and that doesn't always mean the best law school. Plus, as far as trial lawyers are concerned, there many great trial lawyers from top rated law schools, and many who are not. If you have to go at night, don't let that dissuade you from believing you can be a top flight lawyer.

Personally, I found LSATs relatively easy... but you need to prep for them. I did miserably on the first few practice tests until I put the work in. The Bar exam is very difficult, but more because of the pressure rather than raw legal knowledge.

Where are you studying right now, Oct?

University of Illinois, in beautiful Champaign-Urbana. Went here for UG too, but this is my final semester. I like my classes so far, I am taking Advanced Torts, White Collar Crime, Intellectual Prop., Elder Law and Philosopy of Law & State. Where did you study?

University of Illinois, in beautiful Champaign-Urbana. Went here for UG too, but this is my final semester. I like my classes so far, I am taking Advanced Torts, White Collar Crime, Intellectual Prop., Elder Law and Philosopy of Law & State. Where did you study?

C'mon Oct, impress us with your initiative by looking FFB up on Martindale and then asking him more detailed questions, so he'll be tempted to give you an interview! I did, and hint hint, his alma mater is referenced in one of my questions on this thread.

C'mon Oct, impress us with your initiative by looking FFB up on Martindale and then asking him more detailed questions, so he'll be tempted to give you an interview! I did, and hint hint, his alma mater is referenced in one of my questions on this thread.

I would have if I knew his name. I don't think "fantasyfootballbono" is going to get me very far.

I went to Hastings. UI-Champaign-Urbana is a good school. Are you staying in Chicago when you're done?

I went to Hastings. UI-Champaign-Urbana is a good school. Are you staying in Chicago when you're done?

My post grad plans are kind of up in the air right now. As it stands, I will be moving to Chicago in May or June to take the bar review (I think it's at Kent). Also might have a temporary job lined up at the DuPage County State's Attny's office, where I would work until I found a private sector position. Always nice to get a little trial experience under your belt. Also planning on applying to the FBI. I spent the last 2 summers working in the felony trial divisions of both Cook and DuPage counties and I really do like working in criminal justice....but private $$$ is starting to sway me more and more. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

So now the list is:

Foolkiller (plaintiffs' securities lawyer)

fantasyfootballbono (commercial and IP litigator)

Clobberintime (bankruptcy and collections lawyer)

tth2 (in-house counsel)

Mr. Woogieman (?)

seank (worker's comp)

Jeffreykli (in-house counsel)

esquirecomics (sues the gubmint)

Captain_Tripps (sits at home and drools over comics all day frustrated.gif)

1962 (?)

sullypython (who is this guy?)

Is that all of them?

Just noticed from reading a thread in the GA forum that jbcomicbox (Jon Berk) is also a lawyer. So add him and October_Fire, a lawyer-to-be, to this list.

Hadn't noticed until now that Foolkiller is a plaintiffs' securities lawyer. Must...resist...urge...to...pick...fight. poke2.gif

Or perhaps I should thank him for helping to guarantee full employment for life for securities lawyers such as myself? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Foolkiller (plaintiffs' securities and pharmaceutical products liability and criminal defense lawyer)

tth2 (in-house counsel, never leaves desk)

Mr. Woogieman (?)

seank (worker's comp)

Jeffreykli (in-house counsel, never leaves desk)

Captain_Tripps (escapee)

1962 (?)

jbcomicbox (has nicer comics than you do)

October_Fire*

*member of pledge class

Foolkiller (plaintiffs' securities and pharmaceutical products liability and criminal defense lawyer)

Mr. Woogieman (?)

seank (worker's comp)

Captain_Tripps (escapee)

1962 (?)

October_Fire*

*member of pledge class

What do you mean that tth2 and I never leave our desks? confused.gif Maybe we don't feel the need to get all dressed up in a suit and prance around a courtroom like other lawyers. poke2.gif

Mr. Woogieman (?)

seank (worker's comp)

Captain_Tripps (escapee)

1962 (?)

October_Fire*

*member of pledge class

What do you mean that tth2 and I never leave our desks?

Is this a trick question? confused.gif Man, I suck at these. OK, I'll guess that the answer is 47.

Mr. Woogieman (?)

seank (worker's comp)

Captain_Tripps (escapee)

1962 (?)

October_Fire*

*member of pledge class

Is this a trick question? confused.gif Man, I suck at these. OK, I'll guess that the answer is 47.

I'm a 'gator too!

Mr. Woogieman (?)

seank (worker's comp)

Captain_Tripps (escapee)

1962 (?)

October_Fire*

*member of pledge class

I'm a 'gator too!

What kind?

*member of pledge class

27_laughing.gif

Hope there is no hazing involved...

The only hazing is a really long test you have to take on little sleep. It's called the BAR EXAM. 27_laughing.gif

*member of pledge class

27_laughing.gif

Hope there is no hazing involved...

The only hazing is a really long test you have to take on little sleep. It's called the BAR EXAM. 27_laughing.gif

I think I have heard of it... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif Thats the test where you learn to mix drinks right?

Mr. Woogieman (?)

seank (worker's comp)

Captain_Tripps (escapee)

1962 (?)

October_Fire*

*member of pledge class

I'm a 'gator too!

What kind?

Right now it's 80% construction related, ranging from owners to architects/engineers all the way down the chain to material suppliers. Other 20% is general business-related litigation. I used to do more strictly commercial lit work for a few different bank-clients, but I just changed jobs last summer.