• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Was Strange Tales 89 Marvel's finest moment?

Was Strange Tales 89 Marvel's finest moment?  

240 members have voted

1. 1. Was Strange Tales 89 Marvel's finest moment?

71 posts in this topic

Honestly, I never quite understood the level of appeal this book holds.

+1

I never thought he was any different that any other monster. (shrug)

For me it has always been the mention that Stan gave it in "Origins of Marvel Comics",

That's exactly what I was going to say. It gave ST #89 and the character a cachet long before he was reintroduced into Marvel continuity.

really? Not a huge fan of either.

Goom is my personal favourite :cloud9: Outstanding story and cover.

..... Now you're talking :cloud9: JIM 62 is another beastie that made it into continuity.... and also has one of the very best stories and art in the genre. As for Goom...... it's been a while, but didn't Googam (Son of Goom) come from an egg or some such, making Goom the only "female" monster of the group ? GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

....as for covers.... I'm partial to TOS 11, 15, and TTA 29.....

Goom is male. I remember someone (you?) had that as a trivia question at some point, but I read the stories afterwards and didn't have the same take. 2c Don't remember the details tho

really? Not a huge fan of either.

Goom is my personal favourite :cloud9: Outstanding story and cover.

..... Now you're talking :cloud9: JIM 62 is another beastie that made it into continuity.... and also has one of the very best stories and art in the genre. As for Goom...... it's been a while, but didn't Googam (Son of Goom) come from an egg or some such, making Goom the only "female" monster of the group ? GOD BLESS...

....as for covers.... I'm partial to TOS 11, 15, and TTA 29.....

Goom is male. I remember someone (you?) had that as a trivia question at some point, but I read the stories afterwards and didn't have the same take. 2c Don't remember the details tho

..... I haven't owned a TOS 17 in almost 25 years..... so my memory is spotty.... GOD BLESS...

....... either way, Goom had a face only an Interstellar Trucker could love....

Honestly, I never quite understood the level of appeal this book holds.

+1

I never thought he was any different that any other monster. (shrug)

For me it has always been the mention that Stan gave it in "Origins of Marvel Comics",

That's exactly what I was going to say. It gave ST #89 and the character a cachet long before he was reintroduced into Marvel continuity.

I think the book has several things going for that make it more appealing than surrounding issues.

The use of green on the cover for some reason has a strong appeal. Many classic horror books have a green figure on them (as do many GGA classic covers, for those of you that remember my former collecting interest ;) )

The name of FFF is kind of neat in that it has more than one syllable (unlike many other monsters like Goom, Groot, Thing, Hulk, etc) and it also incorporates the word Foom which became the official Marvel fanzine.

Certainly, the timing of the release of the book at the start of the Marvel universe helps (and Stan's refeence to the book by extension).

And I particularly like the story of awaking this sleeping dragon (who doesn't like dragons!?!?), having him chase someone around the world and then go back to sleep again.

The Blip is one of my faves as well as Spoor.....

Sporr is an outstanding cover and story, for sure. (thumbs u

Thought you would like that!

While we are on monster names and stories...the Glop always was a favourite of mine as well.

The Blip is one of my faves as well as Spoor.....

Sporr is an outstanding cover and story, for sure. (thumbs u

Thought you would like that!

While we are on monster names and stories...the Glop always was a favourite of mine as well.

Think I had a case of that in my early 20s...

right, very good cover (but not the best of the monsters), but on the plus side

- great story

- great interior art

- superbly awesome name :insane:

- early reprinting (FM#2) and early identification as a classic

- the first or one of the first pre hero monsters to make it into regularly marvel continuity

Good points all, but that Silver Age reprinting in Fantasy Masterpieces #2 is one I hadn't previously considered. The more I think about it, the more weight I think it lends to FFF's fame. He was even on the cover!

- great story

- great interior art

- the first or one of the first pre hero monsters to make it into regularly marvel continuity

Good points all, but that Silver Age reprinting in Fantasy Masterpieces #2 is one I hadn't previously considered. The more I think about it, the more weight I think it lends to FFF's fame. He was even on the cover!

Yup! (thumbs u

- great story

- great interior art

..... and circa '66 (?) when the thirst for back issues and awareness of collectability was beginning it's LONG ascent. IIRC the FM issues also flagged the original issues the stories appeared in. It sure made me want them.... GOD BLESS...