• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ghost in the Shell

84 posts in this topic

On 2017-02-22 at 8:14 PM, thirdgreenham said:

very cool.  I guess I should check out the original. 

Got the Ghost in the Shell: special edition dvd from the public library. Seems like the live action movie has similiar creepy, screaming Japanese soundtrack as 22 year old anime movie directed by excellent 9_9 Mamoru Oshii.

3 hours ago, deadleg said:

So, anybody had the chance to see it yet? I like ScarJo and the franchise itself but i fear the movie won't live up to my expectations. 

Being an anime fan like you are, I would approach it with a grain of salt. You know there is no way a hollywood film can even compare.

On 2017-04-01 at 7:40 PM, MetalPSI™ said:

Being an anime fan like you are, I would approach it with a grain of salt. You know there is no way a hollywood film can even compare.

It appears to be. Hollywood never do well with anime stories when it come into live action films. Can't remember last time when they did get one right. 

Friends and I were at theatre to see this movie yesterday. I thought it was not bad in how it run. Special effects were great. It won't get 4 stars, but maybe 3 stars.

Today on news, Boss Baby whipped Ghost into its 3rd place, and got cookie with 1st place. Guess folks like babies? xD

1 hour ago, Fan Boy said:

It appears to be. Hollywood never do well with anime stories when it come into live action films. Can't remember last time when they did get one right. 

Friends and I were at theatre to see this movie yesterday. I thought it was not bad in how it run. Special effects were great. It won't get 4 stars, but maybe 3 stars.

Today on news, Boss Baby whipped Ghost into its 3rd place, and got cookie with 1st place. Guess folks like babies? xD

That seems to be the same thing with video games. Comic books were like that for awhile,so hopefully someday they will make good anime and video-game movies.

Of the two genres it will be interesting to see which one hits a home-run first with a great movie. 

Edited by ComicConnoisseur

I saw it Saturday while the wife took the grandson to see Boss Baby.  There were only about 15 to 20 people in the theatre.  I thought it was ok and not something that I would say is a must see movie; but I did enjoy it.  The original movie was a whole lot better in my opinion; and if you go to see this expecting it to be a live action version of the original anime you will be disappointed.

Psy 

I _love_ the orginal. 

(and...I lived in Japan for awhile & speak Japanese).

Not excited for this - and not just for the ScarJo (mis-)casting. Also, it was a bad sign that in DC it opened in _far_ fewer theaters than even Beauty & the Beast had in its 3rd weekend.

Waiting for it to hit my $2 theater in a month.

Also - for being comic book-based, doesn't seem to be creating much of a buzz on these here boards.

Saw it Friday night. Not bad. Not great either. It was all style and no substance. Just felt like a mashup of Robocop, Blade Runner, and some other sci-fi movie.  Def don't see it in3D like I did. Not worth the extra $$$

5 hours ago, PsylockeSmythe said:

The original movie was a whole lot better in my opinion; and if you go to see this expecting it to be a live action version of the original anime you will be disappointed.

I have a funny feeling Akira will have the same results.

5 hours ago, Gatsby77 said:

Not excited for this - and not just for the ScarJo (mis-)casting. Also, it was a bad sign that in DC it opened in _far_ fewer theaters than even Beauty & the Beast had in its 3rd weekend.

Looks like it flopped at box office.

http://toofab.com/2017/04/03/ghost-in-the-shell-box-office-flop-scarlett-johansson/

"Ghost in the Shell" was dead on arrival.

Paramount's big-budget anime adaptation starring Scarlett Johansson sank at the box office in its opening weekend, earning less than $19 million domestically. That's a big bust considering the star power of Johansson, the popularity of the source material it was adapted from, and production costs ($110 million plus a very expensive marketing campaign).

Edited by ComicConnoisseur

9 hours ago, Fan Boy said:

Hollywood has no clue on how the japanese pace their anime, there is a huge culture difference and hollywood being hollywood, they feel they can take anything and "americanize" it. It's just not meant to be. Anime is a special way of telling a story, and has been decades in the making. The leap to live action is one thing, but to try to americanize it? Forget it, you will get a flop, everytime. Anime isn't mass appeal and never will be with the attitudes these people bring to the table.

46 minutes ago, ComicConnoisseur said:

I have a funny feeling Akira will have the same results.

They'd be best off to just never touch it. Ever. It's way too mature a story for mass audiences.

I enjoyed it but I knew from the beginning it probably wouldn't do well in theaters even with ScarJo in it. I just think the movie didn't generate a lot of interest outside of it's fan base, so it was inevitable. 

6 hours ago, MetalPSI™ said:

Another Aeon Flux indeed.

Let's hope noone ever gets the bright idea to try to resurrect Evangelion

If an Evangelion live action did happen, I would watch it regardless. It almost happened once. 

18 minutes ago, deadleg said:

If an Evangelion live action did happen, I would watch it regardless. It almost happened once. 

I wasn't a huge fan of the series, but it was something I respected because it was so ground breaking at the time.

I really can't envision a live action version, CGI for sure, but live action? It would be something to see.

I think the other major obstacle the movie faced was coming across as unoriginal and having a thin plot.  Now there is no excuse for the thin plot, because the original anime's was really good, but in general the source material is dated at this point.  Plus, you have the added issue that so many writers and directors admit to loving the original film, and that the story, concepts, and look has been incorporated into many other projets over the years.  So even if GITS did originally come up with many of the ideas, US audience have no knowledge where those ideas came from.  The irony now being that films that were so heavily influenced by the original GITS are seen as groundbreaking,  while this move is viewed as tired. 

Edited by drotto