• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ghost in the Shell

84 posts in this topic

New Behind The Scenes Look At Scarlet Johansson's Major In GHOST IN THE SHELL

In the image below, that's Mamoru Oshii (director of the 1995 Ghost in the Shell film), Kenji Kamiyama (director of the Ghost in the Shell TV anime) and composer Kenji Kawai (who composed music for the two Ghost in the Shell films) on set with Rupert Sanders, Scarlett Johansson and Adrian Nicholas Matthews Thaws (Tricky). The image comes by way of the official Production I.G. Twitter account, the studio behind all of the the Ghost in the Shell anime adaptations (both film and TV).

In related news, it has been revealed in an interview with the Associated Press, that Kaori Momoi (Memoirs of a Geisha, Sukiyaki Western Django) has joined the film and will be playing Scarlett Johansson's mother. That's right, the very-American Scarlett Johansson has a Japanese mother in the live-action Ghost in the Shell movie. This is of great importance as the anime, films and OVAs all exist in separate continuities that are loosely based on the manga - with each having different origins for The Major.

Ghost in the Shell is currently filming in Hong Kong.

zVc2AWf.png

Is This Live-Action "Ghost in the Shell" Section 9 In Costume?

This spring brought the first official still of Scarlett Johansson as the lead in the Hollywood live-action adaptation of Masamune Shirow's influential sci-fi series Ghost in the Shell. That was followed by set photos of Johansson and Pilou Asbæk as her right-hand officer Batou in June. Now, without a clear origin, a collection of photos purport to show the duo, along with their other Section 9 cast members similarly in costume.

Rupert Sanders (Snow White and the Huntsman) directs, with the adaptation set to premiere in theaters on March 31, 2017.

01. Borma - Tawanda Manyimo

02. Saito - Yutaka Izumihara

03. Batou -Pilou Asbæk

04. The Major - Scarlett Johansson

05. Aramaki - Takeshi Kitano

06. Togusa - Chin Han

07. Ishikawa - Lasarus Ratuere

5759c36d61be775d9328214b1a8aa6dc1472048257_full.jpg57b613618b7c2b2788a228d461bdd3701472048321_full.jpg8c09dde2e606792046d323ad962229071472048437_full.jpg

6fe32aee76e199207b2ed7ab4db74b221472048460_full.jpg40536b32bfd3b77aaa3515584748a4d51472048928_full.jpgeaca18249ed6551582bcec7cb39446b11472048946_full.jpg

c04205dd0e24526b1bede6baad7340511472048196_full.jpg

Paramount Explains Ghost In The Shell Teaser Trailers

Paramount Pictures recently debut a first-look at Ghost in the Shell footage during the Season 2 finale of Mr. Robot on USA. Divvied up into five clips, the short teasers glitched onto viewers’ television screens without warning during commercial breaks. Many were left confused by the interruptions, leading fans to search 'Ghost in the Shell' during the finale’s downtime.

And that is exactly what Paramount hoped would happen.

“The great thing about season premieres and season finales is that they’re like live sporting events: People want to watch them in real time. Because of the social media explosion, there’s a fear of missing out or having a plot detail spoiled. We knew with the Mr. Robot finale we’d get that extra boost of people who would be sharing on social.” said Megan Colligan, Paramount’s president of worldwide distribution and marketing.

I still have my Ghost In The Shell soundtrack, as there are some great songs on there.

GHOST IN THE SHELL Animated Movie Getting Theatrical Release

ghostintheshell-205131.png

Following the success of their recent Akira (1988) screening, Manga Entertainment — a producer, licensee, and distributor of Japanese animation in the United States and United Kingdom — has announced today, for one night only (January 25, 2017), they are putting 1995's internationally-acclaimed animated film Ghost in the Shell on over 80 screens across the UK.

"Profound and beautifully animated, Ghost In The Shell redefined the anime genre by exploring complex ideas regarding AI and what it means to be human – these themes are just as important now as they were 20 years ago," said Marketing Manager Andrew Hewson in a company press release. "Absolutely timeless and digitally remastered, this film deserves to be seen on the big screen!"

Paramount and DreamWorks' live-action feature film adaptation of Masamune Shirow's Ghost in the Shell mange series, starring Scarlett Johansson (Captain America: Civil War), will be released in the U.S. on March 31, 2017.

Hopefully this carries over to the USA.

I have zero familiarly with the property.

It looks amazing.

If you can, check out the animated first movie (there were two animated films - 1995 and 2004) and you will be good to go. But the soundtrack to the first movie is fantastic. One of the few times after I saw a movie I went out of my way to track down the soundtrack disc.

Please, oh please, let this movie be good. For all the anime fans out there, we're hoping this is our "Iron Man". If this is successful we could see other anime and manga movies come out in the future...Akira, Robotech, etc.

And with Akira already in the works ( click here ), you know even that creative team has to be watching this one.

:wishluck:

I just wish all the articles comparing this to The Matrix would just stop.

You'd think that any film critic over the age of 20 would know that Ghost in the Shell came first, and its cyberpunk ethos influenced the Wachowskis, not vice versa.