• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How to press out a spine roll

81 posts in this topic

I see what you're getting at, regarding paper memory and I am in agreement with you.

I am not suggesting the structural integrity of the spine being compromised by pressing an iron over the spine and then putting the book onto a press for a quick fix.if that were to be done....sure, it would give the book a cosmetic improvement but doing so would certainly degrade the book over time as the spine would be compromised by the force (bending/folding) the spine.

I was, and would suggest,an iron to be lightly applied(as in barely touching ) the spine, allowing the heat only (no force being applied) to act as a humidifying agent, allowing the spine to be reset *without* folding the spine before putting the book into the press itself.

Of course, the ideal (and easier) way to go about all of this would be to use a humidifying chamber and then press the book but it sounds like the original poster does not have such a chamber.

This is the last post I will make on the subject. What you have offered as advice is dangerous. What the OP is doing is dangerous.

Of course, the ideal (and easier) way to go about all of this would be to use a humidifying chamber and then press the book but it sounds like the original poster does not have such a chamber.

I know nothing about the mechanics of pressing so I am just curious. On a book like this with existing water stains, wouldn't the humidfying chamber exacerbate the situation ? I know, from a collector standpoint, I hate the smeared look on things like date stamps, signatures, etc. I was never sure if this was from overheating or humidification. Sometimes this stuff just gets so ugly, with treatment for one problem leading to other problems. What about the staples in all of this ?

I see what you're getting at, regarding paper memory and I am in agreement with you.

I am not suggesting the structural integrity of the spine being compromised by pressing an iron over the spine and then putting the book onto a press for a quick fix.if that were to be done....sure, it would give the book a cosmetic improvement but doing so would certainly degrade the book over time as the spine would be compromised by the force (bending/folding) the spine.

I was, and would suggest,an iron to be lightly applied(as in barely touching ) the spine, allowing the heat only (no force being applied) to act as a humidifying agent, allowing the spine to be reset *without* folding the spine before putting the book into the press itself.

This is the last post I will make on the subject. What you have offered as advice is dangerous. What the OP is doing is dangerous.

I think what Joey is trying to tell you is that what you are doing is wrong in every aspect and because you don't have a clue and then offering advice to people who might not know better.

Back away from the press Good Sir :foryou:

Jim

I know nothing about the mechanics of pressing so I am just curious. On a book like this with existing water stains, wouldn't the humidfying chamber exacerbate the situation ? I know, from a collector standpoint, I hate the smeared look on things like date stamps, signatures, etc. I was never sure if this was from overheating or humidification. Sometimes this stuff just gets so ugly, with treatment for one problem leading to other problems. What about the staples in all of this ?

Depends on the ink and how much humidity Bob, but yes existing issues could be made worse. This would go beyond date stamps and stains and includes spine splits, color touch bleeding into other areas of the book and ruining the gloss on older books.

Depends on the ink and how much humidity Bob, but yes existing issues could be made worse. This would go beyond date stamps and stains and includes spine splits, color touch bleeding into other areas of the book and ruining the gloss on older books.

Joey, thanks for your contributions to this thread. On topics regarding pressing, your expertise is beyond reproach. It is also refreshing that you validate the fact that pressing is not necessarily all good. Things can happen. Your reference to color touch bleeding is something I never considered. If it occured, I would think any attempt at removal would be even more difficult. Interesting.

This thread is scary and entertaining at the same time.

I tend to be pragmatic when it comes to pressing. Pandora's box has been opened and pressing is, it appears, common now. Having said that, it would be nice if people who do know what they are doing would chime in when information that could damage / ruin a book is cited as a technique to be used.

Like Bomber - Bob, I admit I don't know the techniques of pressing so perhaps what is being suggested is proper technique but I suspect 200 degrees for 45 minutes - 45 MINUTES! - is probably not proper technique :D

I don't expect people to give away "trade secrets" but comments that might help the uninitiated would likely be better than silence.

Just my 2c

This thread is scary and entertaining at the same time.

it would be nice if people who do know what they are doing would chime in when information that could damage / ruin a book is cited as a technique to be used.

And outside of a few well known and respected pressers how is anyone supposed to ascertain the person chiming in 'knows what they are doing' ? Many claim to know what they are doing but probably do not. Let's give the professional presser a little more respect and admit it is not the kind of knowledge that is easily learned on the internet.

I will tell the OP this. As an enthusiast who dabbles in the art of pressing the easiest bumps will be 2's and 3's into 4's and 5's. Until you can master this on reader quality commons you should avoid all keys and collectible HG books altogether.

Was that at 200 degrees and 45 minutes?

I will tell the OP this. As an enthusiast who dabbles in the art of pressing the easiest bumps will be 2's and 3's into 4's and 5's. Until you can master this on reader quality commons you should avoid all keys and collectible HG books altogether.

No, Sir. The OP and a contributor or two should utilize the search function and go back and read the many threads on the subject. Some of the gurus here have written some excellent footnotes. If it was as easy as creating an account, starting a thread, and getting all the answers on the subject everyone would be doing it. And even after all the time and money Ive invested I find myself deferring to the pros on books I feel exceed my expertise. It's like Bobby Shapiro calling in Robert Khardashian and Johnny Cochran on the OJ case. No man is an island.

No, Sir. The OP and a contributor or two should utilize the search function and go back and read the many threads on the subject. Some of the gurus here have written some excellent footnotes. If it was as easy as creating an account, starting a thread, and getting all the answers on the subject everyone would be doing it. And even after all the time and money Ive invested I find myself deferring to the pros on books I feel exceed my expertise. It's like Bobby Shapiro calling in Robert Khardashian and Johnny Cochran on the OJ case. No man is an island.

I kinda figured... :foryou:

I kinda figured... :foryou:

Back at ya, Hector. You are a scholarly gentleman.

I think what Joey is trying to tell you is that what you are doing is wrong in every aspect and because you don't have a clue and then offering advice to people who might not know better.

Back away from the press Good Sir :foryou:

Jim

I should blindly accept what Joeypost states, without any supporting basis...other than what myself and the original poster is offering advice on and performing is "dangerous"?

That is hardly commendable.While you may believe your comment to laudable, it is nothing more than a flagrant display of your ignorance.

I do not mean that as an insult so please do not take offense and instead, consider that Joey has an interest in *not* giving away his pressing techniques.

For a well worn book from the 60's, which will be much more resistant to pressing than a new book with a freshly bent corner, you'll need more time and heat/pressure than usual.

I've done my reading, and the scope of my research is not limited to comic boards with tight lipped gurus who cast some sort of crushing gospel on any who question trade secrets, either.

The source of proper pressing/dry cleaning comic books techniques is not given away in a Q&A format on discussion boards.You can find that in research published by paper/art conservators, who reference their work with footnotes giving credit to Cicconi , Heft etc.

With all due respect, Sir, you should spend a bit more time here before determining who is helpful and who is tight lipped. Two of the pros on this thread are extremely generous with their information, but like any brotherhood of men, you will have to pay your dues and put your time in before the information you need is gift wrapped and handed to you. Hence my suggestion to go read what has been written in the past.

As far as your current experiments I will tell you this with every bit of confidence. You are off with both time and temperature.

For a well worn book from the 60's, which will be much more resistant to pressing than a new book with a freshly bent corner, you'll need more time and heat/pressure than usual.

Copper, remember I am not a presser, so no expertise here. However, what I have taken away from this thread is that your statement above is correct, in this state the book will need more time and heat/pressure than usual. However, what Joey and others have stated that more heat/pressure is dangerous to the book, it will create more problems. It's a case of the the cure, not the disease, will kill the patient. The advice given here is simply don't do it. Makes sense to me. (shrug)

With all due respect, Sir, you should spend a bit more time here before determining who is helpful and who is tight lipped. Two of the pros on this thread are extremely generous with their information, but like any brotherhood of men, you will have to pay your dues and put your time in before the information you need is gift wrapped and handed to you. Hence my suggestion to go read what has been written in the past.

As far as your current experiments I will tell you this with every bit of confidence. You are off with both time and temperature.

Not every machine is the same, not every book is the same, hence not every technique is the same but I agree with you 100%

that being said, I think anyone who's every pressed a book can tell u what will happen at those settings

In fact I'll press a book later with those "recommendations"

200 degrees, 45 minutes, 2 hour cooling period ?

Copper, remember I am not a presser, so no expertise here. However, what I have taken away from this thread is that your statement above is correct, in this state the book will need more time and heat/pressure than usual. However, what Joey and others have stated that more heat/pressure is dangerous to the book, it will create more problems. It's a case of the the cure, not the disease, will kill the patient. The advice given here is simply don't do it. Makes sense to me. (shrug)

You don't have to press an entire book if you just need to press a corner.

Point understood but honestly, I have been in this hobby for over 25 years and I know all too well what goes around and comes around.

I am not disparaging Joey in anyway,either.I would not expect someone who presses books for a living to flippantly reveal his techniques on a message board.

For a higher grade book, 200 degrees and 45 minutes would be well off.

I have pressed out low/midgrade silver books with spine + water damage, like the Brave and Bold pictured, with success.

As a courtesy, here is where I learned my techniques, in addition to trial and error.....

http://www.academia.edu/6646202/The_conservation_and_display_of_comic_books

Perhaps there is hope this thread will move from scary and entertaining to informative. :wishluck:

I will take a look at the PDF article. Lets just hope that all those out there who press comics are putting in the time and effort to read up and study the proper techniques and procedures.

However, I am willing to bet that many who get a press simply start by "going to town" on books with out the requisite knowledge. Or sure, they may practice on a few cheap books first, but human nature being what it is, I suspect many jump in with both feet seeing dollar signs in their eyes as they hope to press 7.5's into a 9.0 and 9.4's into 9.8 or higher.

And yeah, before you ask, I have become more cynical as I get older.

Not every machine is the same, not every book is the same, hence not every technique is the same but I agree with you 100%

that being said, I think anyone who's every pressed a book can tell u what will happen at those settings

In fact I'll press a book later with those "recommendations"

200 degrees, 45 minutes, 2 hour cooling period ?

If you wouldn't mind, I would be curious to hear what type of results you get. Thanks!