• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Official Facebook Comic Group absurdity thread

61 posts in this topic

I can't believe these people talk so openly about I would consider fraud. They seem to be actively asking how to fool the graders into accepting an item that they know is altered in some way. I wouldn't deal with someone like that ever.

Brother you don't know the half of it. If you knew who some of these people were, you'd really be shocked. They put on a big production and keep up appearances. Meanwhile...

How is that morally different though when there are people here that say to buy a restored book and scrape off the color touch ? Not siding with them, I am trying to gain more of a perspective into the current toy collecting culture when it comes to this stuff.

I can't believe these people talk so openly about I would consider fraud. They seem to be actively asking how to fool the graders into accepting an item that they know is altered in some way. I wouldn't deal with someone like that ever.

Brother you don't know the half of it. If you knew who some of these people were, you'd really be shocked. They put on a big production and keep up appearances. Meanwhile...

How is that morally different though when there are people here that say to buy a restored book and scrape off the color touch ?

To quote Maynard: "It's only wrong if you get caught".

How is that morally different though when there are people here that say to buy a restored book and scrape off the color touch ?

I have a mix-tape for you.

How is that morally different though when there are people here that say to buy a restored book and scrape off the color touch ? Not siding with them, I am trying to gain more of a perspective into the current toy collecting culture when it comes to this stuff.

Generally speaking, there probably is no difference - at least not morally speaking. Perhaps with the only exception being, some of these guys might be an embarrassment to any moral fiber that may have existed within their DNA lineage.

For the most part, they're pikers. Even the guys here using t-shirt presses and squeezing books within an inch of their life are slightly more evolved brutes, with an unspent brain cell to spare when someone gives them a halt or warning. They also wouldn't dream of posting some of their lame brained ideas here, knowing full well the lashing and ridiculing would be too much to bear.

The difference in these Facebook groups is these guys don't want to be told their pikers. Even if your intentions are to warn others, they ban you when you make them look like insufficiently_thoughtful_persons. Worse of which is they are looked up to by the underling members. Stupidity multiples like a contagion in these groups.

Case in point. Here is a wreck of an example. Some guy posts a mold damaged MOC. The same rocket scientist who recommended using lighter fluid in the other example, decides to take a toothbrush to it, using soap and water. I didn't help the situation any, just standing there as a sideline observer, but know that at the time this took place, I had already seen the way these guys operated, and knew enough not to waste my energy explaining they shouldn't follow through on their lame brained idea. Good for a laugh, and these guys are really textbook examples of how a little knowledge can make some people dangerous:

Sandcrawler_toothbrush.jpg

Does it have all my favorite bands on it, like Phish, The Smiths, Depeche Mode, and The Cure? :sick:

Does it have all my favorite bands on it, like Phish, The Smiths, Depeche Mode, and The Cure? :sick:

Actually, I downloaded a couple of songs from Dead Man Fall and the new Modest Mouse song, Lampshades on Fire is pretty catchy.

this Ross Barr person sounds like an imbecile

I have yet to see them NOT have the quick fix to anyone's problems-- despite always seemingly being wrong.

ruin it using a tooth brush and soap-- oh well-- sel it anyway for a 20 loss -- probably never disclosing why it looks like a piece of now.. Eh why not- I have no moral fiber in my being-- sincerely Ross "Facetard" Barr

A while back a friend of mine added me to some bodybuilder group on Facebook. I mentioned offhand that I like comics and got an instant flood of "OMG Liefeld was the best! Remember that comic Pitt? I wish I could find those today!"

So I mentioned I had what they were looking for at the low price of one dollar per issue, made about $150 real quick. Then never worked out and resigned from the group.

this Ross Barr person sounds like an imbecile

Sigh. We're friends on Facebook and he's active in the Star Wars community. I hashed out my concerns over a PM with him just the other day. The way his groups stick their heads in the sand, belittle and even taunt opposing views is bad enough. But the bad information and advise being spewed is going to have consequences. That's the part I take more seriously, and care most about anyway.

I know it's comical reading this stuff, but sadly there are people who look up to what these guys say and do in these groups, and follow their lead, no matter how idiotic their suggestions might seem to us. While I'm disappointed with some of the things going on in his groups in general, he's otherwise a pretty helpful guy.

The money being thrown on this stuff has been a corrupting influence, and it's only when stuff like this goes on that we get a view of how badly it's getting to people's heads.

I've had two recent negative experiences with sellers from a Facebook buy/sell group. I've asked for some feedback in the PGM forum on one of those purchases.

Here's part of the convo. I'm not asking for feedback on the transaction here, but I do want to show what you can run into. Not really a surprise, I suppose. The bulk of my buying happens here, CLink, CConnect, HGC, WWComics or Greg Reece. Some on ebay, but not much. I'm staying away from the FBook groups at this point. In addition to this bad transaction, I was sold a book with apparent color touch, but after the same "I sent you pics" song and dance, the seller agreed to a return.

4I7Hgu0.png

Kinda need to see both sides of the convo dont you think?

I've had two recent negative experiences with sellers from a Facebook buy/sell group. I've asked for some feedback in the PGM forum on one of those purchases.

Here's part of the convo. I'm not asking for feedback on the transaction here, but I do want to show what you can run into. Not really a surprise, I suppose. The bulk of my buying happens here, CLink, CConnect, HGC, WWComics or Greg Reece. Some on ebay, but not much. I'm staying away from the FBook groups at this point. In addition to this bad transaction, I was sold a book with apparent color touch, but after the same "I sent you pics" song and dance, the seller agreed to a return.

4I7Hgu0.png

Kinda need to see both sides of the convo dont you think?

Addressed elsewhere. As I said in an earlier post, not looking to hash through my exchange with this seller, who by the way, has dropped contact. My point is, it's very bad business behavior and not the sort of thing I'd expect from anyone here.

Another group I'm on is a real trip. People post up some real "interesting" stuff; slabbed Byrne-era Xmen in the 5-8.0 range. :facepalm: I asked why do you get those graded and one response was "my business model is to grade everything". Last week he just posted that he's selling his entire collection because the dealer thing "just isn't working out". No kidding, you've got tons of $$ tied up in grading fees that you have no chance of recouping.

I'm in the same group and got a good chuckle from both of his comments.

I get a lot of chuckles and/or eye rolls out of that group. There are some good members there too though. I "bite my tongue" quite a bit. Some people have to work things out for themselves.

Another group I'm on is a real trip. People post up some real "interesting" stuff; slabbed Byrne-era Xmen in the 5-8.0 range. :facepalm: I asked why do you get those graded and one response was "my business model is to grade everything". Last week he just posted that he's selling his entire collection because the dealer thing "just isn't working out". No kidding, you've got tons of $$ tied up in grading fees that you have no chance of recouping.

I get a lot of chuckles and/or eye rolls out of that group. There are some good members there too though. I "bite my tongue" quite a bit. Some people have to work things out for themselves.

Is this Lin Harrell's group? If so, get out while you can. Some interesting reading here and here.

Is this Lin Harrell's group? If so, get out while you can. Some interesting reading here and here.

No. Not that one.

No. Not that one.

emoticon-0141-whew.gif

He said something else, "Learn to swim"

This is a little different...So last night I had a guy contact me through my Facebook page, telling me he is "new to collecting" but really wanted to get back into it, etc.

Noticed I had a Batman issue in one of my for sale albums and he really wanted and even got ready early to drive to my 'store' (says clearly on my FB page I have no storefront) to pick it up but realized I didn't have a physical store...So he starts sending me messages.

After about spending an hour messaging this guy (there was a lot of hand holding) we agree on a price he says he will take it and we agree on a time and place to exchange the book.

About 5 minutes later he messages me and wants to "call off" the sale. He writes: 'Actually, sorry about this, but I'd like to take some time to think about it so I'm not doing anything on impulse...I just don't want to spend the money rashly then regret it afterwards. I'm sure you can understand". Maybe his wife caught wind of it or he is just a tool. Who messages someone repeatedly though, and then once a deal is struck backs out 5 minutes later?

Basically, this may be final nail in the coffin in my selling on FB experiment. I have "dabbled" trying to sell on some of those other FB sites and 99.9% of the responders are people asking to trade with them for their drek. Despite the rare problem, Ebay is still miles and miles better. Also, it amazes me how many anti-slabbers are there and the lack of general knowledge on those groups.

Comicwiz, thanks for the links about Lin Harrell's group. Seems the people who make the biggest sales on those groups are also the Admins. Interesting reading to say the least.