• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Collector's Kingdom in Huntington Station Fire

18 posts in this topic

That's a shame. That shop has been there over 20 years easy.

I haven't been there in many years, but I went to a garage sale at the owner's home this past summer. I didn't get very much because it was a lot of overstock drek. Plus the owner pulled a handful of better books out of my stack and said 'those shouldn't have been in there' and he wouldn't price them either leading me to quit early. I don't sort comics for free (or for a wage for that matter). Hate when sellers pull that nonsense.

Hopefully he was fully insured.

Man, that's sad. I hope there was insurance. That quote doesn't sound like there was... not sure how that happens though.

The quote was from another business owner, a deli I believe, not the owners of the comic book shop.

They say it started in the comic shop.

I wonder what the cause will end up being?

Arson?

Take out all the good books, burn the drek, and wait for the check(from insurance)

Yeah, it was the deli owner quote I was responding too when I said it's sad. It's sad in general of course, but I meant that quote specifically.

I know, I felt bad for her reading it.

Just minding her own business, trying to make a living for her family, and someone else messes up, and now she's out of work..

this is crazy!

Ive been going there every thursday for 10 years now to pick up my weekly books. I just drove there on my lunch hour to see the place burnt to the ground. :(

I feel so bad for those guys... ive been going there for ages and they were a good group...

The owner, who is not the guy I knew many years ago, says he has no insurance and is looking to start a Kickstarter campaign to allow him to reopen in a new location. He says there was about $500,00 in inventory in the shop when it burned.

... and hoping a Kickstarter funding campaign scheduled to begin in a day or two will supply the financing. The Suffolk County Police arson squad is investigating the fire but "at this point, it doesn't appear to be criminal," a spokeswoman said ...

Surprised to hear the landlord didn't require fire insurance as part of the lease terms. Surprised to hear he didn't have some kind of policy covering at least a portion of his inventory, even some kind of collectibles rider to his homeowners policy might've covered some of the loss. Good luck to him.

When I had my shop, I had the insurance required by my landlord to cover the structure and the needed liability insurance but I didn't have my inventory covered. It was too expensive and the paperwork seemed like it would be too much.

not sure if a kick starter would be throwing good money after bad, especially if he is trying to raise 500K or something insane like that.

As for the insurance, can't you get some sort of general rider type of deal for the total collection/inventory? Take out 250K of insurance in case there is a fire and the whole shebang gets toasted.

Did they have the entire inventory at the store location? I always assumed most LCS rotate stock and have a warehouse location for the bulk of the collection which is simply to massive too have retail space to hold.

not sure if a kick starter would be throwing good money after bad, especially if he is trying to raise 500K or something insane like that.

As for the insurance, can't you get some sort of general rider type of deal for the total collection/inventory? Take out 250K of insurance in case there is a fire and the whole shebang gets toasted.

Did they have the entire inventory at the store location? I always assumed most LCS rotate stock and have a warehouse location for the bulk of the collection which is simply to massive too have retail space to hold.

I don't know about most places, but the LCS I worked at had two locations, with both stores having their inventory on location. The second, newer place had a large "back room" to store theirs in, but the one I worked at (Capitol Comics on Hillsborough St. in Raleigh - anyone?), I swear, the overstock/inventory was holding up part of the building. They had STACKS of long boxes, one wall was literally floor to ceiling, wall to wall, and at least two deep. Then there was the smaller back room... jeez, must have been close to 1000 LBs in that place.

It was crazy...

-slym